I'd like feedback on my article: Teaching English On Line to Kids in China!

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (20 posts)
  1. Shelley H Cruz profile image80
    Shelley H Cruzposted 5 years ago

Hi Hubbers,

I'd like some help with passing the Quality Assessment Process. Will you please give feedback on my article? What can I do to improve? Thanks!
    I am not sure where I have gone wrong and would appreciate your feedback!

Best wishes,

Shelley
    Here is my article: Teaching English On Line to Kids in China!

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

I took a brief look at your article and the first thing I noticed is that your title is incorrect.   You don't teach "on" kids...you teach "to" them.  Also, the article is not well organized.  Your info is all over the place.  You need a more specific title and more specific, focused details for the article itself.  Also, you never said how much money you're making doing this work, which is, I'm sure, a point readers would want to know.

Shelley H Cruzposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Is it not correct to say  Teach English On Line?  I will go back and check but I thought it was mentioned that this pays $22.00 per hour.  Thanks for your feedback.  I will work on this!

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
          TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

The title I saw said "Teaching English On Kids"...you must have changed it.  Also, $22 per hour means nothing.  I was talking about the average pay per week, month or year that would make doing this job financially worthwhile.

Teachers are allow to set their own ours and can work as much as they want keeping in mind they are on Beijing time.  I average $800 per month but some make as much as $4000.00 per month..  It is quite a difficult schedule to make  4k,  as you would have to do some overnight shifts on the weekends.  It is best as a part time job with the expectation of $600-$800 per month.   Most teachers do not use this as a primary income source.

"allowed"   sorry for the typo

2. CYong74 profile image96
    CYong74posted 5 years ago

Promotional writeup and links are not allowed on HP, Shelley.

I have removed the email addresses. This story is about my experience as a VIPKID teacher.  Is that considered a promotional write up?  Thanks!

2. Shelley H Cruz profile image80

I think I have reconfigured the article to comply.  I hope this works!  Thanks for your feedback.

3. theraggededge profile image98
    theraggededgeposted 5 years ago

It's not a good idea, either, to approve comments with email addresses in them.

Thanks for that information!  I will be careful in the future!

4. Shelley H Cruz profile image80
    Shelley H Cruzposted 5 years ago

Thanks for the responses.  I think I have removed the "spammy" elements as I understand any email links would be considered spammy.  This story is just to tell about my experience as a retiree who has found a great part time job that give me such joy.....  Is this considered a promotional piece?  If I removed the name of the company would it be better? I could do that and the story would be basically the same.   Thanks again for your insight!

5. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

I see you've made some changes from the suggestions posted here. I am familiar with the program and you mention it quite a bit throughout your article. So, it appears spammy.

Thanks!   I have looked this over and removed any mention of VIPKID and email links. I changed the title as was also  suggested.   This is also a learning process!  It has been a while since I submitted any articles  to HubPages and I didn't run into this "spammy" problem before.  The subjects of the other articles would not be seen as "spam".  Thank you again for your direction!

6. chasmac profile image91
    chasmacposted 5 years ago

The problem with the title is that the article is not about online teaching to kids in China; it's about your experience with one particular school.

You can write the article as an account of your experience, in which case you just need to change the title to mention the school by name or just "a school". (You need to name it in the text, of course.) Provided you're not promoting the school, it's no different to someone writing about their experience as a volunteer working for the Red Cross.

Alternatively, you can write it as a review of that school as you have valuable real life experience of it. A non-promotional link to the school is fine as it's necessary for readers to go further and check out the school with a view to applying. A couple more negatives would make it more balanced and review-like, though.

But you can't publish it as an article about teaching online to kids in China, as you'd then have to give some info on a few schools and talk about other things they offer or expect including contracts, payment reliability, etc.

Many people are looking for online teaching to students in China right now as it has become big business in the last few years. The pay is better than from online teaching to students in most neighbouring countries like Vietnam - and often better than the $22 hourly rate you mentioned.

Thank you so much for taking the time to give me this feedback.  It is most appreciated!  I have changed the title and removed mention of the name of the company.   You mention that other companies may be offering better compensation. I have  looked into a few and my experience has been that if they are paying more there is something that  I did not find appealing.....perhaps the classes were longer, or the schedule was more problematic.  I have adjusted to VIPKID and have become a "cheerleader"  because I really do enjoy what I am doing.  Best wishes,   Shelley

1. chasmac profile image91
        chasmacposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Hi Shelley
        The info I gave about higher pay rates is second hand as I have friends who do exactly that job online for some Chinese schools. They often tell me about other schools that pay better than theirs, but yes there's always something problematic about them such as inconvenient schedules or frequent unpaid cancellations. All that type of info is what you'd have to research and constantly update if you chose to write according to your original title.

But you've gone for the 'My Experience' type of article, which is a lot better, especially as it never needs updating. As for the title, it now matches the content, but "via the Internet" is not a search friendly phrase. Your original "online teaching..." phrase, coupled with "My Experience", is what you should use.

As for the school, YES, you should mention it. The article looks a lot less trustworthy with no mention of the school's name.
        There's a fine line here. It mustn't be promotional, but you're providing valuable first-hand information to readers who are interested in doing what you're doing. Google and HubPages love that, so give your readers the name and a link so they don't leave empty handed and disappointed. Just don't make it promotional for the school.

Thank you for this great advice!! Much appreciated!

2. Shelley H Cruz profile image80

Thanks so much.  I have tried to follow your advice and hope that the article looks better now.  Best wishes,  Shelley

7. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 5 years ago

If you are going to name the school, check your contract to make sure there are no non-disclosure clauses.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)