Writer guidelines for HP editors

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (24 posts)
  1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86
    TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years ago

A number of writers here have been seeing numerous mistakes on edits, so I thought it would be a good idea for us to post them individually to remind editors that although we appreciate their efforts, they should make sure they are correct before initiating changes on articles.

I'll start. 

Titles

Titles should be searchable and should reflect the content of their articles.  They should also be grammatically correct.

If I write an article about making an RV more livable, the editor should not add "by maximizing space",if that is not the total thrust of the article.  Furthermore, by adding those words, they lower the searchability rating of the title.

1. samanthacubbison profile image83
      samanthacubbisonposted 5 years agoin reply to this

There seems to be a lot of confusion among Hubbers regarding titles. A longer title is not necessarily a bad thing, within reason. So in this instance, adding keywords that can be considered "relevant" to the article does not lower searchability, but actually makes it better.

If you're ever concerned that a title would be considered too long, this handy tool can help: https://moz.com/learn/seo/title-tag

1. Bedbugabscond profile image93
        Bedbugabscondposted 5 years agoin reply to this

When this type of change was made to my articles, I saw more traffic, and did not feel the article lost any meaning. One article in particular is quite strong in it's snipit. I would like to see editors keep working on my titles and subtitles until they all get to the top. smile

Awesome! I'm so glad you saw more traffic come your way! Our editing team has the same goal in mind for all of our writers, believe me.

TIMETRAVELER2posted 5 years agoin reply to this

Please understand that I have no doubts that our goals are all the same because it is to the benefit of the entire community for views and rankings to rise.  However, as I've noted continually, I'm seeing real mistakes in grammar and structure in some places.  For example, black water tank vs. blackwater tank.  The first is a tank that is black and holds water.  The second is a tank that holds sewage.  The second one is a term used by RV owners, but I've had problems with this terminology consistently over time because editors don't understand this point.  This may seem petty, but if I am an experienced RVer and I misuse this term, Iose credibility.  It's very upsetting.

If you take a look at the results of "black water tank" with a basic Google search, it looks it is actually used quite often in articles, videos and products relating to RVing. This could be why your editor decided to change it, regardless of the terminology. I'm sorry you're experiencing such grief over these edits, though!

That may be, but people make mistakes with this sort of thing all the time.  Common sense tells you that "black water tank" describes a water tank that is black!!  However, I see your point, even though I will continue to use the proper terminology.  I just sent an email to Paul about an edit that just came through where the editor literally captioned photos with the captions that belonged on the text capsules and literally started to copy the text in another section but only put in the first few words and completely eliminated the rest of the text!  It took me awhile to even figure out what was happening.  I sent a link to Paul...perhaps you should take a look at it.  Samantha, anybody here who knows me will tell you that I work very hard to do the best I can.  I am extremely careful about every aspect of a hub from titles to images to text, etc.  Your editors for the most part are doing OK, but some of the bloopers they're making are very hard to swallow and are creating unbelievable amounts of work for me.  I don't mind doing the work if it is necessary, but much of what is being corrected is not necessary..as in the blackwater tank issue.  If there are two ways to say something, why would this need correction?  Of course I'm upset, you would be, too.  I do the work because the only other option is to let it stand, ruin my reputation as a writer and destroy any chance I have of earning anything here.  I am only asking that editors contact me if they have confusion about terminology and to proofread their own edits before posting them online.  Tonight's blooper was a doozy and should never have been posted.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

I can see where in some cases this would work, but the title needs to match the content or it won't!

Had another blooper tonight, and have seen this one before, so be on the lookout for it.  The editor removed two product links from a hub but did not remove the corresponding text.  Thus, when the text refers the reader to the product, it's not there!  Makes me look like an idiot!

1. Sherry Hewins profile image92
                Sherry Hewinsposted 5 years agoin reply to this

When they snip an Amazon product they never edit the text to compensate.

I know that, but why aren't they fixing it?  Don't they realize that making this type of correction affects other things?  Some writers just accept the edits and never check to see if what was done was totally correct.  It should be standard procedure for editors to readjust the text when removing the ads.

2. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image86

In this case it was not the length extension, it was the fact that the extra wordage did not reflect the content of the article as I had intended.  Also, the title tool I use (which Robin shared with me awhile back) rated the title with the extra words lower than the original.  I spend a ton of time on titles, so having someone throw extra words into them without checking to make sure they match existing content exactly is not good.

3. Urbane Chaos profile image91
          Urbane Chaosposted 5 years agoin reply to this

There have been a few things similar that has happened to me.  One that I remember..

I have several articles that talk about Indian Territory; correctly referenced, it's "the Indian Territory".  A couple of articles were edited to remove the capitalization and the texted was changed to "Native American territory".  In another, it was changed to something like "the territory that belonged to the Native American's". 

The first time I saw that I literally laughed.  I think I may have even spewed coffee out.  I can't confirm that though, but it was funny.

Between 1834 to 1907, Oklahoma was divided into Oklahoma Territory and Indian Territory, both names assigned by Congress.  It's really no fault of the editors though, they simply didn't know.  That type of edit still crops up from time to time, so I shoot the editor a note letting them know that I wasn't trying to avoid being politically correct, rather, I was calling the area by its legal name.  After that, no problem. 

With some things, a quick note will do wonders!

2. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 5 years ago

I'll add one.

When dealing with an article which is, essentially, a list of variations, please leave it in alphabetical order. Changing 60 sections (6,200 words) to reflect search engine popularity is no help to anyone (especially me, the writer) who is looking for a particular section.

It took me hours to put it back to how it was supposed to be.

In regards to that article, it seems that your editor rearranged the list only to better align with SEO and keyword-search terms that were related to the topic. This is of course based on the mainstay structure of the inverted pyramid (The “base” of the pyramid is composed of the most important facts. Non-essential information appears in the following paragraphs, and background/extra material is at the bottom.) 

You can reference this page for more information: https://owl.purdue.edu/owl/subject_spec … ramid.html

1. theraggededge profile image97
          theraggededgeposted 5 years agoin reply to this

I understand the reasons, Samantha, but imagine if you were looking for some information and were faced with a mishmash of 60 sections which appeared to have no logical order. Alphabetical is usually standard and makes it easy to scan down to find what you want.

The worst thing is that there was no previous version to revert to.

As requested, I left it for a few weeks, but there was no noticeable improvement in traffic. In fact, after I put it back into alpha, traffic increased for a while.

I have no objection to the rest of the edits, but had the editor asked me first before making that fundamental change, I could have explained my feelings about it.

We should, of course, make our work SE friendly, but not twist ourselves into contortions over an algorithm, which could change again at any time.

3. Kenna McHugh profile image92
      Kenna McHughposted 5 years ago

How can anyone edit a specialized subject when they don't understand that subject? The nomenclature or terminology relating to some of these topics is staggering. Then, trying to get around SEO by changing the nomenclature is wild, an example from one of the Hubbers,  changing "poisonous" to "venomous" for a spider article.

4. Kenna McHugh profile image92

Thank you for the links, Sam!

5. Kenna McHugh profile image92

TT2, That's a good one and an important one.

It's interesting to me that although I started a post where people could provide info that would help editors make improvements, very few here have posted.  Either they have had no problems, are not checking their edits before allowing them to go through or worry that by complaining they'll create problems for themselves.  I can't be the only person seeing these things or the only one having these problems, but I do know that without calling issues such as these to the attention of editors and their supervisors, problems will persist.

6. lobobrandon profile image88
      lobobrandonposted 5 years ago

I've not had a single issue with the editors so far, but I would say that's due to the low number of hubs I've had. Black water tank and blackwater tank are completely different things. Just because most people make that mistake and that is the popular search term, does not mean the author would want her work to follow the same mistake. That's insane.

It's not even an RV based terminology. Sewage is popularly known as blackwater and waste water from a kitchen or bathroom sink is greywater (absence of fecal matter).

Also, I would think it's high school science to know that poisonous is something that kills or harms from the inside and venomous is when a plant or animal bites, injects (through a thorn) or stings to insert a substance that harms another creature without it being consumed. I'm not sure if the editor corrected this blunder or made it. If it was made, that takes away the credibility from that article.

EDIT: HubPro Premium has been awesome for me. Great work, great communication and better traffic.

Obviously not all of the edits are errors, but there definitely is a lack of consistency even within the same edit and there are continuing errors like the ones you just noted based on popular but incorrect thinking.  I will say that the editors have backed way off since I started noting their mistakes.  The hubs showing up now basically have no real meaningful corrections.  I'll just keep pumping away at them until done, but I hope this doesn't happen again because I'm not sure the reward is worth the effort.  They're even correcting hubs that are scored as 100's!

7. Kenna McHugh profile image92

We fix it, then.

8. Ira Mency profile image83
      Ira Mencyposted 5 years ago

how to talk to an editor ? im starting to hate this and i even left a good review on consumer affairs so many people are frustrated. like the old squidoo accounts - editors are impacting my work on my old account by removing images that are my own flagging my own images from sites i have then my article is no linger featured and the article was a good one w tons of comments how do we speak to editors ?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)