Can someone explain this?

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (34 posts)
  1. jackclee lm profile image82
    jackclee lmposted 4 years ago

At a time when corporations are making money, market at all time high, US charging tariffs, IRS collecting record revenues...
    How is it that we are still running a deficit and having to raise the debt ceiling again?

Where is the money?
    Where is it going?
    Help me understand...

1. Randy Godwin profile image61
      Randy Godwinposted 4 years agoin reply to this

2 trillion went to the tax breaks for the rich, with which they bought their stock back and gave exorbitant bonuses to the bosses.

1. GA Anderson profile image89
        GA Andersonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Damn Randy, you need to get yourself another pony.

Although the amount differs depending on sources, government tax revenue is up for 2018. So that "2 trillion" to the rich is just a shiny fishing lure.

If revenues are up, and we still have a deficit or an increasing deficit, then the problem isn't incoming revenues it is outgoing spending.

Pres. Trump doesn't get a pass here, but my point is that the issue doesn't hinge on those reduced taxes--whether to the rich or the middle-class.

You are just repeating a Democrat talking point. Just like Hannity repeats, (and expounds nauseatingly), Republican talking points.

Come on bud. You are better than a water-carrier like Hannity.

GA

Can you say how much revenue a tax break of the same magnitude for the middle class would have benefited the economy, Gus?

That wasn't the point Randy. I wasn't talking about benefiting the economy. I was commenting on the cause of deficits.

A tax cut for any class isn't going to increase a deficit if it doesn't reduce current revenue levels. The government may not be getting more money, but it is not getting less, (so far).

Which means that deficits are a spending issue first and a revenue issue second. Of course, that is a very simplistic view, and it is not a simple issue.

GA

I was simply pointing out a tax break to the middle class would pay for itself because the money would be spent on paying bills or buying goods thereby creating a lot of tax dollars over the course of a year. Whereas, the rich simply buy more stock and give it to the bosses.

That sounds reasonable to me, but I will let the economists argue as to whether it would pay for itself. I am just not a fan of the government demanding more taxes, (and of course, that means from the 'rich'), because they can't control their spending.

GA

2. profile image0
      promisemposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Sure. A massive tax cut for rich people including Trump requires an increase in the debt ceiling.

No real conservative supports running up a massive deficit during economic growth. Instead, it's the time to run up a surplus and pay down the debt.

All the more reason why "conservative" Republicans in Congress are not conservative or Republicans. They simply represent greed.

Hi promisem, in following my comment to Randy; how can the tax cut be presented as the problem when tax revenues are actually up from the previous years?

It is true that the cuts may mean less income than possible is coming in, but the cuts didn't decrease income.

Doesn't that have to mean that spending is the problem - not income? If the government is getting more income, (even if it isn't as much as would be desired), and is still running a deficit, isn't that clear evidence that fiscal responsibility is the problem rather than the confiscatory levels of taxation - regardless of what level that increased taxation is directed at?

Of course, it is just my opinion, but this charge of responsibility directed at the "tax cuts for the rich' is just party-line pablum and those that perpetuate it are no less party shills than those on Fox News that they are so ready to denigrate.

GA

2. jackclee lm profile image82
        jackclee lmposted 4 years agoin reply to this

So your answer is conservative greed that is causing our deficits and debt? What a joke? If it wasn’t for conservatives, our country would have defaulted long ago. We have a SPENDING problem, not a revenue problem.

1. Credence2 profile image78
          Credence2posted 4 years agoin reply to this

So who is willing to compromise? I not going to let the GOP gore my ox while keeping all their rich people perks in place and feeding a military industrial complex at my expense.

Spending problem is an easy answer, the question is either side willing to give up its perks to get the spending down?

2. profile image0

OK. So why didn't the "conservative" President, "conservative" Senate and "conservative" House of Representatives cut spending when they had total control of the budget from 2016 to 2018?

Those so-called "conservatives" were all Republicans.

3. Credence2 profile image78

Can't blame the Dems, this is happening under Trump's watch. So who is to blame this time?

That is my question? Who is watching the money? Our money...where are the adults in the room. Where is the experts? Economists? Federal reserve board members? Congressional Budget office...are all these people on our payroll useless idiots?

To be honest, Jack, they are all crooks, it is just that things the Democrats are profligate about is less troubling to me than that in the Republicans.

That's because the dark side has misled you bud, But there is hope. let  the force be with you.

GA

So, you are an advocate of the GOP way of doing things, that is revealed once I get that shroud away from you?

compared to the opposing "other side" the "dark side" is positive. When it comes to what conservatives have devolved to today, it would say "farce" is a better descriptor than "force".

Okay bud, farce vs force, are you expecting an argument? Jokes on you. I think both sides are a farce.

GA

I know that you won't offer one, but for you many of you purple types, Trump is indeed the lesser of two evils.

Yes, as bad as that seems, I think Pres. Trump is the lessor of two evils.

It seems that to many the Trump character negatives are way worse than the substantive negatives of the alternative.

Who cares what the results are, as long as they are presented palliatively right? I am getting screwed but at least the screwer is an articulate statesman.

The crude man says F_U, The stateman says "in consideration of the circumstantial forces applicable to a bilateral decision it has been determined that an individual appraisal of the possibility of negative results may require that a new posture of subservience and acquiescence may be the only viable option.

GA

4. crankalicious profile image88
      crankaliciousposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I think this is something that both Democrats and Republicans can agree on. The deficit keeps going up and up. While there are different circumstances during each administration, the ultimate responsibility for spending lies with the Congress. It would seem that, no matter Right or Left, everyone wants to spend, spend, spend. Bills are passed that are filled with pork for everyone. And ultimately, the voters are responsible because they re-elect people who bring government money to their district. Very little difference between R and L, except in how they spend money the government doesn't have.

That all said, given we've been using Keynesian economic theory for some time, is it time to question whether the deficit is important?

I think you are missing the basic point of my question. It is not meant to be political. It seems to me, under the Obama administration, when the deficits and debt kept growing, the explanation given was we were in a deep recession and the deficits are par and course...less tax revenue, more entitlement spending...hence deficits.
        Now, under Trump, we have a booming economy, we have record tax revenue, more people working and we are raising tariffs and bringing more money to the treasury, why are we still in deficit?
        I hope you see my point.
        Did Congress spend even more than while we were in deep recession?
        If that is the case, then we are doomed. If we can’t reduce our debt in the best of times, when can we reduce it?

1. profile image0
          Hxprofposted 4 years agoin reply to this

"If we can’t reduce our debt in the best of times, when can we reduce it?"

Jack, none of our politicians are serious about reducing the debt.  Yeah, many of them talk about it, particularly the Republicans, but if it was a priority it would be done by now.

5. profile image0

Deleted

Obviously, the idea of the Republicans as the "fiscally responsible" party is a red herring.

Amen brother.

GA

2. lobobrandon profile image88
    lobobrandonposted 4 years ago

After the Vietnam war the US went off the gold standard and it prints dollar bills that float on trade. That is why it is crucial that the world trade in USD else the US economy would collapse.

The US prints money and it is accepted as legal tender because the country says so. But, they still, at the end of the day need gold or some other sort of backup in place. This is not present, so as more and more money is printed, the debt increases. There is at the end of the day more being bought by Americans than what America sells.

Someone better into economics can explain it better. This may help, I did not read it: https://www.myaccountingcourse.com/acco … g-currency

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)