How does a writer get 1 million views with two articles?

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (29 posts)
  1. Kenna McHugh profile image93
    Kenna McHughposted 4 years ago

A million views are fantastic for an HP writer. It's what we strive to achieve. Recently, a write hit a million views with just two articles! How is that possible?

1. PegCole17 profile image94
      PegCole17posted 4 years agoin reply to this

That is amazing and I wish I could bottle the formula to reach  million views. I thought I was on the road to stardom when one of mine took off and had (relatively - for me) good views for about a year, then, dropped like a rock after it was "possibly stolen."
      It took a while to get the copied site down and the article has yet to recover. sad
      Anyhow, swimming lethargically with the turtles here.

2. greenmind profile image95
      greenmindposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Out of 140 hubs, I have a guide to caterpillar identification that's top of SERPs for my keywords. In the past few years that one article has 1.3 million views, so it can be done. But lightning has to strike!

Kenna McHughposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Oh, lightning please strike!

3. Chuck profile image83
      Chuckposted 4 years agoin reply to this

A million views for two articles is very impressive.  Personally I have always tried to follow Paul Edmondson's advice and write evergreen articles that continue attracting visitors and clicks over time.  Last time I checked, one of my early Hubs written in 2006 had earned me about $80 during the past 12 years or so since then.  Granted it has only generated a few cents each month.  But given that it only took about 15 minutes to write that works out to be quite a return over time.  If that had been my only article I would have waited years for my first PayPal deposit and still waiting for the second one but that plus the earnings from other Hubs have earned me some money every year even in years when I published only one or two Hubs.  Over all HubPages has been a plus to me financially and if the person hitting a million views with just two Hubs stopped writing after that  I think they are missing out by not continuing to write even if subsequent Hubs don't generate a million views right away.

Chuck,

You offer good points. Evergreen articles that continue to attract visitors and clicks over time is essential.  How do you determine the money generated from one article?

1. Chuck profile image83
          Chuckposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I don't recall how I did this as the estimate comes from a few years ago.  In the past few years I was very busy with work and family and I ended up publishing very few articles each of those years.  Since retiring las fall I have more time and have been writing more.  The fact that  a number of my older Hubs continued to generate enough income to pass the threshold and receive a payment two or three times a year encouraged me to start writing more not that I have the time.

Chuck,
            Thank you for the clarification. I hope you are enjoying your retire!!

2. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image93
    Beth Eaglescliffeposted 4 years ago

They may have had more articles, but have since removed them. I've done that.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image93
      Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I believe that the views get subtracted when you delete an article. It does not really matter as you've already been paid for them, but they don't count toward your million views.

I never thought of that, but it makes sense.

2. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image93
        Beth Eaglescliffeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

@Sherry

Yes that's true. When you delete an article, you lose any views they generated from your total.

My logic for my original comment is as follows. Most hubbers find the majority of views are generated by a tiny proportion of their published articles. What works best for me is to concentrate on updating and expanding the successful articles.

I usually wait a year before deleting, but if an article fails to gain traction by then, it goes. The number of views I have lost from my total over five years probably amounts to a couple of thousand, but put in the context of nearly 2 million views remaining, it's not that significant.

1. lobobrandon profile image89
          lobobrandonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I had an article dormant for 7 years which I updated and got moved to a niche site. Traffic in 1 week doubled what it was in 7 years. On another note, two of my hubs make up 1 million views. I would not be surprised at all if there are many that have just one hub with a million views.

It is good to know. So, two articles hitting two million is not uncommon.

3. Kenna McHugh profile image93
    Kenna McHughposted 4 years ago

Good to know!

4. poppyr profile image92
    poppyrposted 4 years ago

Around when I joined (so about 5 years ago), a writer wrote a guide to a Kim Kardashian game. It went amazingly viral and she got the 10 million view accolade in just a few weeks. She probably made thousands of dollars. I’m not sure how many articles she has altogether but she isn’t really active on HP anymore; she probably realized she’d likely never be able to write anything as successful again.

Some articles go viral and get the traffic we all hope for. Some, as has been said already, delete or move their articles but their accolades remain.

Good to know. Thank you!!

2. DrMark1961 profile image96
      DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I remember that article, and was so jealous!
      Us turtles never reach those speeds but we continue on long after the rabbits have dropped out.

...or take a nap.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
          DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Actually those of us who are of the turtle persuasion take naps every afternoon too. It is a great way to beat the heat.

5. FatFreddysCat profile image92
    FatFreddysCatposted 4 years ago

Whoever you're talking about, I am in awe of their awesome voodoo powers.

Meanwhile, I'm happy if I post a new article and it gets 100 hits in its first week. (sighs, kicks rock)

The Hubber hit 1 mil today. It's on the forum, UK bloke.

6. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 4 years ago

I've reached 750,000 with one I wrote 3 years ago. For the first couple of years it didn't have a huge amount of traffic but then took off at the start of last year. I still haven't identified what makes it popular.

It must be the cologne between the prepositions.

1. eugbug profile image96
        eugbugposted 4 years agoin reply to this

If we could bottle the formula, we could spray it on all articles smile

7. WryLilt profile image89
    WryLiltposted 4 years ago

I have one article with 5 million views after 8 years. After that, my next highest are 750k and 500k on Hubpages.

It can be done, but it's about choosing evergreen content and using good keywords, quality content and social media prompts (such as Made for Pinterest images) to encourage traffic from multiple sources.

This account is at 8.9 million views but I haven't written much in years, so I suspect it'll take me another 5 before I get my 10 million badge.

Wrylit,
      Five million views after eight years is a great accomplishment. It makes sense to chose topics for the Internet.

8. Sue Adams profile image95
    Sue Adamsposted 4 years ago

My best performing article has 2,354,773 views so far, It was published 05/06/10 so it’s over 9 years old. These days it still gets around 200 views a day. It has a few backlinks from reputable sites in the same niche.

9. Eurofile profile image95
    Eurofileposted 4 years ago

I have read all of the posts with interest as I am definitely of the turtle persuasion myself. I'm hoping that slowly but surely I will make progress in the end.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)