Stolen Articles

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (18 posts)
  1. Larry Slawson profile imageSTAFF
    Larry Slawsonposted 4 years ago

Hey everyone. I don't know what it is, but I've experienced a substantial increase in the number of articles that have been copied/stolen from me the last few months.  Anybody else experiencing this as well?  The latest thief is from Nigeria and refuses to remove my article from his blog (claiming he is unable to do so).  I'm just curious if anyone has found an effective way to combat the theft of articles on here?  Is reporting it to Google a viable option?

Moreover, what do you do if an individual refuses to remove the stolen content (especially since its in a foreign country)?

1. clivewilliams profile image73
      clivewilliamsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

File complaint with google. But I don't believe that it will dampen your page views as he copied the same content and published that content at a later date than yours. Your content will be crawled and put in search results before his.

2. quotations profile image87
      quotationsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Can't say that I have seen an increase in the number of my stolen hubs.

But I can offer a suggestion about your situation with the Nigerian scammer. Make a complaint to his hosting company and they may drop his site. Also you can ask Google to delete all links to the copied article so you at least deprive him of traffic.

3. chef-de-jour profile image96
      chef-de-jourposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I have a set routine when I find a copied article:

polite email to contact
      threatening email to contact
      email to domain address on whois
      DMCA

Good luck. Persist if you get no joy with the first three approaches. If you have no time or inclination fill in the DMCA form immediatement!

2. Rupert Taylor profile image97
    Rupert Taylorposted 4 years ago

Is your Nigerian scammer Obiaks? I've been chasing this blighter down for a couple of weeks. I did finally track him down to Amazon Web Services and I received the following from AWS a few days ago but have heard nothing to date.

Hello,

Thank you for submitting your abuse report. We have begun our investigation into the source of the activity or content you reported.

We've determined that an Amazon EC2 instance was running at the IP address you provided in your abuse report. We have reached out to our customer to determine the nature and cause of this activity or content in your report.

We will investigate your complaint to determine what additional actions, if any, need to be taken in this case. We may notify you during our investigation if our customer requires more information from you to complete their troubleshooting of the issue. Our customer may reply stating that the activity or content is expected and instructions on how to prevent the activity or manually remove the content, as well. If you wish to provide additional information to us or our customer regarding this case, please reply to this email.

Please note that if we determine the activity or content to not be abusive, we will notify you and resolve the case; we may refrain from communicating further, in that case.

We will notify you once this case has been marked resolved. Thank you for alerting us to this issue.

Regards,
    AWS Abuse

Case number: 57511068578

3. Larry Slawson profile imageSTAFF

Thank you for the replies everyone.  I will definitely give these options a try.

@Rupert  Yes!!! That's the same one!  Haha. As of thirty minutes ago, Obiaks has stolen four more of my articles and posted them to his blog! So irritating. It seems like he is targeting articles from Owlcation. I hope AWS helps you to resolve this; keep me updated on what you hear back from them.  I'm going to submit a complaint to them as well.

For those reading, I would encourage you to check and see if your articles have been stolen from Obiaks as well. He has quite a few articles on there (which were definitely copied, no doubt).

4. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 4 years ago

I recommend an onslaught of verifiable complaints. The guy will be taken down.

5. paradigmsearch profile image60
    paradigmsearchposted 4 years ago

Thieves, the bane of our existence.

Here's my rhetorical rant of the day:

Why is it if my $5, ratty, old lawn chair is stolen from my back yard and the thief is caught, then the police and prosecutors are all over it; but if my article that's worth several $100 in revenue is stolen by a US thief that can be located, there's never a police officer or prosecutor to be found?

For US thiefs, am seriously considering finding a collection agency.

6. wilderness profile image95
    wildernessposted 4 years ago

That's at least two hubbers being victimized.  Get on him, people!

Several years ago someone found a thief that was scraping large sections of HubPages and a bunch of us began filing DMCA's with the host.  We shut him down...to have him come right back with a different host.  Long story short, but we chased him all over the globe, shutting down his sites as quickly as he could get them up.  He went through about a half dozen hosts, but finally gave up on HP.  No doubt he's still scraping other sites, but he got the message with a dozen or more hubbers chasing him.

7. Rupert Taylor profile image97

Further information about the thieving Obiaks dude. I just received the following from Amazon

"Hello,

Thank you for submitting your abuse report. We have begun our investigation into the source of the activity or content you reported.

We've determined that an Amazon EC2 instance was running at the IP address you provided in your abuse report. We have reached out to our customer to determine the nature and cause of this activity or content in your report.

We will investigate your complaint to determine what additional actions, if any, need to be taken in this case. We may notify you during our investigation if our customer requires more information from you to complete their troubleshooting of the issue. Our customer may reply stating that the activity or content is expected and instructions on how to prevent the activity or manually remove the content, as well. If you wish to provide additional information to us or our customer regarding this case, please reply to this email.

Please note that if we determine the activity or content to not be abusive, we will notify you and resolve the case; we may refrain from communicating further, in that case.

We will notify you once this case has been marked resolved. Thank you for alerting us to this issue.

Regards,
    AWS Abuse

Case number: 52202188430"

Now you may be wondering, as am I, what an Amazon EC2 is. So I looked it.

"Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) is a web service that provides secure, resizable (sic) compute capacity in the cloud. It is designed to make web-scale cloud computing easier for developers."

Well, of course. Does anybody have the vaguest idea what that means?

8. Larry Slawson profile imageSTAFF

Thanks for the replies (and advice) everyone.

@Rupert  I suspect that I will be receiving a similar email from Amazon soon.  Really hope they can do something about this. I've had several more of my articles stolen from him the last few days.  As for what an EC2 is, I have never heard of that before haha! 

By the way, I actually received a reply from Obiaks the other day.  Here is what he had to say when I sent my complaint letter to him:

"Hi Larry

We are deeply sorry on the copyright issues.

This is the second copyright issue we are having on the website
    owlcation.com.
    Like i resolved with the previous complaint

"The problem arouse when we employed The user Kayode Oseh as a content
    writer on our platform. We have received a lot of complaint about our
    writer especially articles that were written between the time frame.
    Policies has been but in place to ensure our writers deliver original
    and quality contents."

Unfortunately we can not take down the article. We will acknowledge the
    source of the article and give you a permanent do follow back link.

I sincerely know how it feels, it hurts to have your contents stolen, We
    don't stand to gain anything by lifting your content. I am deeply sorry
    and deeply regret such action.

The article has been modified, and due credit has been given to the
    source.

We hope that works for you. Let me know your taught.

Thanks
    Obiaks"

Its kind of funny in a weird way. Acknowledging our content was stolen, but basically telling me to get over it haha.  I've seen some more articles posted on there today (stolen ones, without a doubt), so I would encourage everyone that is reading to take another look at your "copied articles" tab to make sure he hasn't stolen your content.

1. wilderness profile image95
      wildernessposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You might include a copy of that letter when you file with Google to have it de-indexed and google ads removed.  Just a thought...

2. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Ha ha... I would be writing back pointing out that the DMCA is a legal document and that you are a wealthy American who will be instructing your lawyers and debt recovery agency to come after him with a demand for payment for $1,500 for every Owlcation article stolen.

He'll soon take it down.

9. Rupert Taylor profile image97

mea culpa mea maxima culpa. It has come to my attention that in the DCMA I filed against the Nigerian toad I reversed the URLs so it seemed I was complaining that my article on HubPages was the copied one and the Nigerian's the original. I have corrected this error that comes from a brain that has suffered multiple insults over its 76-year lifespan.

It's said that confession cleanses the soul; no it bloody doesn't, it makes you feel like a dork.

10. Larry Slawson profile imageSTAFF

Haha, thanks for the replies everyone.  Just got back from vacation this morning and checked Obiaks page. Everything has been taken down finally.  Yay!  Haha.

@Rupert Oh no!  Haha. Did you ever get this resolved?  I sure hope so. I think all of our complaining to AWS may have paid off wink

11. Rupert Taylor profile image97

Hi Larry and all others. No I have been unsuccessful. I keep getting replies that I have filed my complaint incorrectly and I'm damned if I can understand why. I have thrown my hands up in frustration and decided I've got better things to do with my time than navigating the labyrinthine dark arts of the web.

Now, where's the cat? Time for a cuddle and a book.

12. Rupert Taylor profile image97

Progress. AWS seems to be moving forward on getting this rascal shut down. Happy New Year.

Hello,

We've received your report about alleged posting, hosting, or distribution of unlicensed copyright protected material on Amazon Web Services. We've completed an initial investigation of the issue and learned that the activity you reported originated from a user of our network.

We take reports of copyright infringement very seriously. We've taken appropriate action in response to your complaint to remove or disable access to the material and to notify the user who posted the material of your complaint. If the user sends us a counter-notice, we will forward such counter-notice to you with additional instructions.

Thank you for alerting us to this issue.

Regards,
    AWS Abuse
    Amazon Web Services, LLC

Case Number: 51492140137

1. Larry Slawson profile imageSTAFF
      Larry Slawsonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Happy New Year Rupert! That sounds great!  Haha. I'm glad they are taking action against him finally.  All of the ones he stole from me have officially been deleted.  So all of our complaints must have had a positive impact.

Glad you don't have to worry about this anymore. Stuff like this is so aggravating.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)