Kids Make Me Crazy...and Worried

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (16 posts)
  1. emievil profile image67
    emievilposted 14 years ago

Well one kid in particular, my almost three-year old niece. Her mother (my sister) is working in another country and she left her daughter to my husband and me to take care of till she comes back. So, she's with us for over a year already and she calls us Mommy and Daddy.

Okay, so what's the point of this post (actually rant). We were having lunch just over 3 hours ago. She got her little chair so that she can stand on it, reach the sink and wash her hands. Unfortunately, she did not arrange the very chair well and ended up with the back of her head banging the (cemented) floor! And I was right beside her and wasn't able to stop her falling! She was screaming in pain and I was panicking and we immediately got ice cubes for an ice pack to put at the back of her neck. It made me a little bit crazy and worried because she was in pain and I was frustrated, helpless and a little bit stupid for not being able to stop her from falling!

Right now, she's asleep and we were told to watch her for 3 days for any signs of unusual sleepiness and vomiting.

1. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

poor little darling. i am glad you are keepig a close watch on her. even when you are inches away, stuff just happens. i hope she (and you) feel better soon sad

emievilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks cosette. Think it frightened me more than it hurt her. She seems to be okay but we're still watching her for any signs of trouble.

2. profile image0
      Wendi Mposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just make sure you keep an eye on her.  She should be alright...children are very resilient!

I'm beginning to realize that. I think it's us adults who are less resilient smile. Thanks Wendi.

2. profile image0
    sarah dawkinsposted 14 years ago

It's the next 24 hours that are the most important.  You need to watch for complaints of
    head and neck pain
    becomes difficult to console
    problems with balance, dizziness
    twitching of the limbs when asleep
    blood or clear fluid coming from nose, ear or mouth
    unequal pupils
    seizure
    vomiting - more than 2-3 times
    loss of bladder or bowel control (assuming that she has already got it)
    slurred speech or not making sense

If any of these occur, please take your niece to a hospital for a check up.

My thoughts are with you.

wow, that's quite a list. Thanks Sarah. Never felt this helpless before, guess having kids is really a different thing huh?

1. earnestshub profile image79
        earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is such a caring post Sarah, and top advice. smile

3. rmcrayne profile image91
    rmcrayneposted 14 years ago

Don't beat yourself up.  Everybody has accidents.  Nobody has them on purpose.  That's why we call them accidents.

Thanks rmcrayne. Guess I should start to learn to take things in stride. I do tend to panic a lot sometimes especially when my niece is concerned. smile

4. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Children should neither be seen nor heard from - ever again.wink I do feel that way at times.

LOL. er, it's kinda hard not to see my niece. She's big for her age smile. and she talks a lot (I think they all do at that age). That was the first thing that told me she's all right, she's still talkative even after her fall. smile

1. profile image0
        ralwusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well good on her. That's a cute one in your avatar too. I have always loved children, especially if they're cooked properly.wink

2. rmcrayne profile image91
        rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

smile That sounds like family stories of me.  Yak, yak, yak. smile

2. rmcrayne profile image91
      rmcrayneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Reminds me of something a friend says about teens:  Teenagers are such disgusting creatures.  lol

5. hinckles koma profile image61
    hinckles komaposted 14 years ago

Constantly taking care of children is difficult, mentally and physically.  if she looks fine and acts normal your in the clear. Toddler jail is unappreciated time.  Hug kiss and smile at her show her a good time by reading her a book and tell her to feel better soon. Your a good aunt and like everyone said its an accident. Love all koma.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)