First submission rejected with vague feedback

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (25 posts)
  1. callmealex profile image80
    callmealexposted 4 years ago

Hi all,
    Thanks in advance for any help.
    I submitted my first piece yesterday. It was rejected with feedback that was very broad - either not up to standard or spammy. I thought it might be because I had included an Amazon capsule so I removed that, but left the writing as it was and resubmitted the piece. It's been rejected for a second time – with the same broad/vague feedback but with a lower hub score.
    I'm wondering if my writing style doesn't suit the site. A lot of what I've read on here is written in the first person and my writing isn't.
    I'm unable to republish it now as it says I need to change it. I'm just not sure what to change though – and I haven't received any emails from editors explaining anything further. Here's the link, though I'm not sure it will work now that I can't publish the article.
    https://hubpages.com/travel/things-to-d … Waterfront
    Cheers!

1. TIMETRAVELER2 profile image85
      TIMETRAVELER2posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I rarely write in first person, but my articles regularly are moved to niche sites, etc., so I don't think it's your style.  If you are a newbie, I would advise not putting ads in at first...there is an art to placing ads and few people "get it"  early in their writing careers here.  I have always found the notations from monitors clear in what they are requesting, so I suggest you read the emails again.

2. DrMark1961 profile image96
    DrMark1961posted 4 years ago

No, that link does not work.
    The first rejection email you received will contain a link that you can post here. The people on this board can read it and give you more detailed feedback.

3. callmealex profile image80

Hey, thanks for your reply. I haven't received any email from hubpages - in relation to the first or the second rejection.

1. theraggededge profile image97
      theraggededgeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You said it was 'rejected with feedback'. There will be a link there somewhere that says 'get help from the community' or similar.

The problem is that the editors have not got the time to give detailed feedback to the hundreds of articles that are published daily. So you have to have to research what is required of you: spend time at the Learning Center (click Help, top right) and look at other articles on the platform. You only joined a few days ago, so you probably haven't had time to research properly.

4. callmealex profile image80

Hi, sorry what I meant was that there was a note at the top of the rejected piece that wasn't very clear about what was wrong. I haven't had an email from hubpages with a link to post on the forum.
    It does look like I'm a newbie but I have actually held an account on hubpages for ten years. I just wanted to start afresh that's all. I've written for Expedia, Trip Advisor, HomeAway, etc for the past eight years, so I'm thinking it's a clash of styles - but without being able to show anyone, who knows?
    Cheers for your reply anyway.

5. callmealex profile image80

Thanks for your reply but I haven't had any emails. There was one amazon capsule and that's it. I removed it and the hubscore went down.

1. Beth Eaglescliffe profile image94
      Beth Eaglescliffeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

You keep saying you've not had any emails, but you've had "a rejection with feedback". So, if not by email, how did you get the rejection and feedback?

callmealexposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The article was unpublished and at the top it said that this article has been rejected for ... not meeting quality score or spammy elements. There was no link in this feedback. I definitely haven't had any emails. All a bit weird.

6. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

An email is sent, check your spam folder

7. callmealex profile image80

I already have. Nothing there. No worries. I'll follow up with hubpages directly. Thanks.

8. psycheskinner profile image82
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago

check your email is entered correctly -- it's an automated process

9. callmealex profile image80

Hello again. Yes, my email is entered correctly. Checked that already but
    I've had notifications for this thread come through, so it's definitely not that. Thanks for the suggestion.

10. callmealex profile image80

Still no email smile But I've gone ahead and updated the text and images in the hub. I also realised that one of the videos I'd used had a watermark on it, which is against the rules regarding spammy content, so I've removed that. Fingers crossed it will get through this time.

It looks great. Put the second subtitle into title case though.

It just got rejected again. I'm at a total loss now really. The only thing I could think to do was remove the only link I had in there and try again. It was to an official what's on page for an arena so I wouldn't think of it as spammy really. I can't think of anything else it might be.

1. AliciaC profile image93
          AliciaCposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I think you’ve written a good article. I know that HubPages doesn’t like the excessive use of italics or bold print, so you could try removing the italics from the introductory paragraph. You could also try adding the source and license for the photos without this information (as you have done for the other pictures) in order to show that the images are being used legally.

Thank you for the feedback.
            I think you spotted the problem. Attribution for a couple of the pics was needed according to the license and I'd missed it. Thanks!
            I've taken out the italics too.
            Fingers crossed!

11. callmealex profile image80

Ah great spot. Thank you! All done smile

12. daydreams profile image94
    daydreamsposted 4 years ago

I think you could tighten up the wording a lot - your article is hard to read and a lot of it is in the passive voice. Try putting the text through the Hemingway app (google it)

For articles on travel Hubpages likes first person voice to make it seem authentic and add more value than you would find in say Wikipedia etc.
    I've been told to add my own experience/recommendations into an article before it went on a niche site and others have been rejected for niche sites because I haven't had enough of it (though they are still featured on hubpages with no problem)

Thank you for your feedback. The article is featured now, so I'm going to leave as is for now and move on to the next.

1. DrMark1961 profile image96
        DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

That is not how you should approach this. Featured only means that it was not that bad, and certainly does not mean you will get any traffic. If you want readers, you need to improve it enough to get it moved to a niche site.
        Those suggestions in Daydreams post are very helpful.

13. callmealex profile image80

I was more looking for feedback on hub layouts and rules to adhere to rather than feedback on my writing style. The piece is on the first page of Google for my keywords already, so I'm happy enough for now. Thanks.

That's because you are probably logged into Google smile

I'm not seeing it. Even typing in HubPages first doesn't bring up your article. It's too early.

Sorry, my mistake. It was Bing I was looking at smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)