What Pinterest has to do with traffic to your articles?

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (34 posts)
  1. Margaret Pan profile image92
    Margaret Panposted 4 years ago

Hello to everyone,
    I have been reading some posts here and noticed that a lot of people mentioned Pinterest as one of their ways to attract more traffic to their articles. Although I'm not very familiar with Pinterest I have an account which I made many years ago and from my experience it's all about uploading and sharing pictures? What that has to do with articles? Could someone please enlighten me? Thank you in advance for your time!

1. OldRoses profile image93
      OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Pinterest is not just about photos.  Each photo is linked to an article.  We pin our articles so that other users will read our articles and then repin them to their boards so that their followers will read our articles and repin them so that their followers can read our articles and repin, etc, etc.

Or maybe you are thinking of Flickr which is just about uploading photos?

Margaret Panposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Okay, I had no idea it worked that way. As I mentioned, I had opened an account many years ago and have barely use it since then. Thank you for clarifying that for me!  From your personal experience, is it indeed helpful when it comes to traffic?

Yes, I get a small steady stream of traffic from Pinterest.  If you make the special Pinterest friendly pins with pictures and words, that will draw more traffic because people are more likely to click on them and pin them.

2. psycheskinner profile image83
      psycheskinnerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

When you click on the picture it takes you to the site where it is posted. Just looking at the picture does not give people the recipe, pattern, place to buy it etc.

Thanks for answering me! Is it helpful for you personally?

1. psycheskinner profile image83
          psycheskinnerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I use pinterest just as a user.  I am too lazy to promote any way but trying to use good SEO

3. NateB11 profile image88
      NateB11posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Pinterest never worked for me, only Google search engine has.

1. onlineworkideas1 profile image60
        onlineworkideas1posted 4 years agoin reply to this

True. I have 2.000 Pinterest followers with daily post and no traffic. Many people keep mentioning that Board Group posting gets results.

2. Doneta Wrate profile image79
    Doneta Wrateposted 4 years ago

I tried pinterest and never got anything.  What I gather from the forum is that the topics you write on make a big difference.  Some topics do better than others on pinterest.  For example, gardening articles usually do better.

I'll give it a try and see if it works for me, thank you!

3. Doneta Wrate profile image79
    Doneta Wrateposted 4 years ago

I am like psychskinner with trying t figure out SEO.

4. Nell Rose profile image90
    Nell Roseposted 4 years ago

I just find it a bit strange that ever since Pinterest has changed their format where it is now only the picture that is shown and not any explanation that was there up to a few weeks ago, that no our views are far lower than they have ever been.
    Anyone else notice this?
    I have mentioned this before, and the answer was to use the Pinterest sign on our tab. But I still think it's something to do with that.

1. DrMark1961 profile image97
      DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Nell, I just looked through your articles and only saw a few with writing over the image. HP has edited some of mine that did not have the writing and as far as I can tell it does help. My Pinterest traffic has not gone down at all. In fact, OldRoses suggested a professional account on another thread and since I set that up recently my weekend traffic is somewhat better.

https://hubstatic.com/14870258_f1024.jpg

This is an example.

1. Nell Rose profile image90
        Nell Roseposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Dr Mark, yes working on it. But I have so many, lol!

Yeah, I saw that you are up to almost 400. A lot of work to do there! I probably have about 150 without writing on the images, and I am not sure how long (or if ever) it would take to get to them all.

I do wish they hadn't changed their format. When I go to Pinterest to take a look, there are so many pictures with absolutely no explanation. Makes no sense to me.

1. eugbug profile image96
              eugbugposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Do you mean the text underneath the image Nell?
              I notice that with some of my pins, pinned directly from articles, and there doesn't seem to be any way of adding text. Also these pins don't display stats.  However I think when pins are created from scratch using the "+" on the Pinterest site (or app), you can add text. I haven't pinned for over a week, so need to check this.

Hi eugbug, yes before when you shared to Pinterest, you had the option of adding a few words underneath. Now that option is gone. I am going through my articles and adding text to the main picture, so when you see it on Pinterest you can see what it's about straight away without underneath text. I have no idea why they have changed it. And it may be nothing to do with loss of views, but it seems too much of a coincidence to me.

The option is still there.  If you hover your cursor over the pin, in the upper left corner of the picture there is a little pencil icon that allows you to make edits to the pin.  Click on that and a dialog box opens that allows you to add text to the pin.

On desktop though, it doesn't allow you to add a title to pins created from images on a HTML page.
                    For instance, this is what I get when I click the pencil icon on a pin taken from a Skyaboveus article.

https://hubstatic.com/14871614_f1024.jpg

5. Rupert Taylor profile image95
    Rupert Taylorposted 4 years ago

Dr. Mark, I love your example. Can I have him/her to keep me company in my rutabaga field?

As a matter of fact there is a dog breed that was specifically developed to work in rutabaga farming. Here is one fine specimen hard at work:

https://hubstatic.com/14870416.jpg

6. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 4 years ago

I'm not sure whether its specific to math, but my last two pins which were animated graphs get several pins per day. I reckon moving pictures are just more prominent. I'm going to explore making slide show pins for select hubs and see if they attract attention.

7. eugbug profile image96
    eugbugposted 4 years ago

Actually I think there's some sort of viewing bug on Pinterest. If I click the pencil icon to edit, then cancel and backout, the text appears under the pin. Then when I refresh the page view, the text disappears.

8. OldRoses profile image93
    OldRosesposted 4 years ago

I just tried it in Firefox and everything is fine.

This is what I get when I edit the note in the dialog. Once I reload the page, the text under the pin disappears. I'm using Firefox on a notebook.

https://hubstatic.com/14872095.png

9. theraggededge profile image97
    theraggededgeposted 4 years ago

I don't even get a pencil icon until after I've saved the pin. Then I can go back in and edit, but that's a pain because I have to log in to Pinterest. There is no way to add a note to the pin before I save it directly from the web page. I use Opera.

I don't see any of what your screenshot shows.

So this is what I see when I click on the Pinterest icon on a hub. I can hover the cursor all I like, but no pencil icon appears. I have to save first, log in to Pinterest and edit after pinning. It's a pain.

https://hubstatic.com/14872125.jpg

Yes, the pencil icon only appears on saved pins.

10. theraggededge profile image97
    theraggededgeposted 4 years ago

Yes, but like Nell says, we used to be able to add a comment prior to saving the pin, but now we can't. It made the process very fast.

Yes, the title of the hub is now used for the pin caption.

11. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 4 years ago

I use a combination of Google Chrome and the Pinterest toolbar thing, and I can edit before saving just fine.

On a more general note, it's important to remember that getting traffic directly from Pinterest isn't the whole story. Having links and social shares can help to boost the article's ranking too. So it's potentially a win-win situation.

I used to use Pinterest and then I stopped. Now I'm using it again.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)