Earnings potential

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (23 posts)
  1. Cheryl E Preston profile image84
    Cheryl E Prestonposted 4 years ago

Can someone answer for me how Maven is benefiting us as writers. I have noticed  a slight but no significant upswing in page views. Also if we need to update old articles instead of writing new ones, dos this not indicate that we are jumping through hoops for google? Please give  your answers without being sarcastic or negative. I’m seeking understanding of the total situation and this is not about my personal articles. I ask these questions for all of us who hub. Thank you.

1. OldRoses profile image94
      OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Supposedly the merger with Maven was supposed to increase CPMs and therefore earnings, as well as increase traffic.  Many authors here are complaining that the opposite is happening, that both CPMs and traffic are down.  My own experience is that CPMs are down but my traffic has increased significantly so my earnings have increased but not as much as they would have if CPMs were as high as they were last year.

Cheryl E Prestonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for sharing

2. NateB11 profile image89
      NateB11posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Yes, we are trying to please Google. Unfortunately, they are the main source for traffic on the Web. They seem to like updated articles, I guess.

As far as the advantage of Maven, I'm not sure. I think it's a bigger site with more resources that can network the niche sites in a beneficial way. This is my understanding. Though, it's pretty vague in my mind. Would be interesting to have it clarified, I suppose.

What I do know is that there are ups and downs in terms of traffic, but I make a relatively steady income which I'm okay with at the moment. Hopefully it stays that way or gets better, knock on wood.

2. CYong74 profile image96
    CYong74posted 4 years ago

I experienced both an increase in CPM and traffic after the Maven merger. HOWEVER, I can't say for sure both were due to the merger, that was also the period when I worked really hard to understand how SEO, online writing, etc, works. The increases could be partly due to the improved quality of my hubs.

I also do not think updating articles is pandering to Google. This is part and parcel of online writing, as far as I know. For the bulk of my hubs, it is also crucial because information could be outdated, and I always still FIND MISTAKES no matter how careful I previously was.

I write for other sites and this is the first time I’ve been told that updating makes a difference. Other sites don’t even have a way to edit once an article has been published. Thank you for responding.

2. Cheryl E Preston profile image84

Yes I find mistakes too

1. CYong74 profile image96
        CYong74posted 4 years agoin reply to this

I think it's not the act of updating itself, but what you change that matters.

SEO keywords change regularly. Their monetary worth and ranking, and traffic volume, change too. Secondary information might also, because of certain events, become more important. If you update your articles to adapt to these, you improve your ranking. (Or theoretically, it would)

For some topics, viewers might be turned off if they see your article is a few years old, and immediately surf away. This affects your bounce rate negatively and will sink your ranking.

3. Solaras profile image95
    Solarasposted 4 years ago

The pitch in Whistler was that Google and Facebook had too much arbitrary influence over our views and earnings. They cited as an example "Little Things" which after Facebook made some updates, put them out of business within 2 months.  Traffic went to near zero for them. It sent a shockwave through the online/blogging community.

Maven and HP along with a third site, which escapes me, were going to have enough content to compete with information leaders like The New York Times.  We would generate our own orbit with the gravitational pull created by the sheer volume of good information in this union.  People would seek out Maven articles, without need of going to Google. Maven would be the go to; you would bring up Maven, instead of Google to get your information; much in the same way that people go straight to Amazon, when they want to buy something, bypassing a Google search.

I don't think that has happened or is on the near horizon.  In order for that to happen, many of the bloggers being "rushed" in Whistler would have had to joined Maven. I have no idea how successful they were in wooing these bloggers. The Sports Illustrated acquisition fits that model, by being a popular and well respected automatic go to for people wanting sports info.

There was another person I spoke to who was working on creating content for local markets.  Let's say a local pet channel, with info on events, meetups, health etc...  With so many local papers closing down, there could be room for something like this, but at these earnings it would have to be a cardboard box shanty town of writers clustered under a cell tower, to survive.

Thank you for explaining how it was supposed to work. I sure hope it does soon for all our sakes.

4. hard sun profile image78
    hard sunposted 4 years ago

That's certainly interesting and seems would be great if it could work out.  But, it seems like they would have to have a better centralized search system, similar to Amazon's comprehensive search at the top of the page where you can choose to search all, or a certain Maven. Maybe I'm missing something, but I've been frustrated with the functionality of Hubpages and now the Maven search system.

Yes very true

2. Cheryl E Preston profile image84

Yes that sounds reasonable

5. OGUNDARE OLUSEGUN profile image78
    OGUNDARE OLUSEGUNposted 4 years ago

Thanks Cheryl E Preston for bringing this up. I am still learning by all standards on this site, maybe it is because of my location, Nigeria. Trusting that those who understand how things work here would educate me the more.
    I write because I love to write, I have flair for writing, it has always been my dream to be an author, having published books in Nigeria, and accidentally stumbled on this site that promises remunerations for articles I jumped at it. I am still learning, and I hope I would soon know more about everything here.
    Thanks.

6. Cheryl E Preston profile image84

I would love honest answers because I don’t understand how updating content improves page views. No one will see the content unless they click on the article

1. Solaras profile image95
      Solarasposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Generally speaking, Google prefers the newest articles, as they might have the latest information.  Having said that, they also like older articles that have received positive indicators from the visitors (visitors stay on the page a long time, click over to another article by that author or at least on the same site etc.).

So, if you have an article you posted 5 years ago, but update it with fresh content every six months to year, you can satisfy both of Google's desires, fresh content and longevity.

Wow thanks for the info.

2. theraggededge profile image98
      theraggededgeposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It's because articles will appear higher up in the search results. Supposedly. I don't think it works that way for everything.

7. Cheryl E Preston profile image84

Thank you.

8. Cheryl E Preston profile image84

Thank you this explanation makes a lot of sense.

9. PaulGoodman67 profile image96
    PaulGoodman67posted 4 years ago

Editing/updating has long been a way of increasing views, not just on HP, but with internet articles generally. The fact that Hubpages are currently strongly advising it may indicate that recent changes in the Google algorithm have shifted the balance even more favorably towards recently updated articles.

The Maven thing is still ongoing and essentially a mystery, as far as I am aware. We are told there are exciting plans, but not what they are. So we wait and see. smile To be fair, I can appreciate that it can take time for major change. I've learned to think in terms of months, rather than days when it comes to the passive income thing.

10. Cheryl E Preston profile image84

Thank you for replying. It would be nice to know where Maven is placing our articles

11. Nell Rose profile image89
    Nell Roseposted 4 years ago

Doesn't help when you add an appropriate amazon link to your article, and Hubstaff takes it off!  I just wrote one that mentioned something that I have indeed bought, yet it has now gone. Sigh.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)