Changing what an editor did on an article

Jump to Last Post 1-9 of 9 discussions (33 posts)
  1. NateB11 profile image88
    NateB11posted 4 years ago

How do you deal with a change that was made to an article by an HP editor? They unnecessarily changed the title of the article, I'd like to change it back to what it was. Is that what everyone else does when this kind of thing happens? Curious.

1. Sherry Hewins profile image91
      Sherry Hewinsposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I've been going back and forth on one of mine. They think the photos should go above the title and description, I think they should go below. It just seems clearer to me which photo goes with which text. They changed it, I changed it back, they changed it again, I changed it back.

NateB11posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Haha! Well, I hope they don't change mine back. They literally made a typo in the title. Kind of laughable.

I'm sure it will be fine then, at least fixing the typo.

2. NateB11 profile image88

Turns out they did go back and make a correction but it was just one of those inconsistent APA style corrections. This was another funny thing I've witnessed, different editors have different opinions on APA and capitalizing in titles. On one they'll make you capitalize certain words, on another they tell you lower-case. I mean I know how and when to capitalize a title, but I was corrected (incorrectly) on it on articles so I just changed to capitalizing the way I was told. Funny stuff. Now they're telling me to do it the way that I knew was correct in the first place a long time ago. Fortunately none of it is a big deal but contradiction and inconsistency always gets to me a little bit.

It's annoying, but I guess different people have different opinions.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
              psycheskinnerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The whole point of APA style is that there is only one correct way to do it.

2. Savio Dawson profile image91
        Savio Dawsonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Oh, am I glad to hear that Sherry! I have been fixing this photo and title thingy so many times in my articles, but the HubPages editors think that the photo should be above the title. It just confuses the heck out of me. Of course, they point to reputed publishers and print magazines and say that that is how it is done. Nothing against them, but I feel that the image above the title is quite confusing.

1. samanthacubbison profile image82
          samanthacubbisonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

We ask that photos go at the top of the article so they appear as the featured image in thumbnails! Because of this, we often do not repeat the title again in the first text capsule to avoid confusion.

1. Savio Dawson profile image91
            Savio Dawsonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Hello Samantha,

I didn't know that the position of an image mattered for the thumbnail. Maybe a bit different in my case as I have a lot of images.

So, I found a midway between the two. Instead of getting the image after the description, I put it right after the title and then the description. Seems to work, I guess.

2. Sherry Hewins profile image91

I'm not talking about the top photo, I'm talking about additional photos throughout the article.

3. profile image0
            Marisa Writesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I don't understand this.  The first photo in a Hub appears as the featured image in thumbnails, regardless of where it appears in the Hub. 

There was a phase where HubPages recommended a "hero shot" at the very top of the article, but I notice the tutorial template now has the first text capsule at the top, where you're supposed to answer the question of the Hub. That's in keeping with the latest SEO advice.

3. profile image0

Sherry, I'm not sure I understand what you mean.  The title of what and the description of what?  Do you mean when you start a new section of your text?

Sherry Hewinsposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Yes. I like to put the subtitle, then the text describing whatever it is I want to show, and then the photo. The editor kept putting the photo above the subtitle and text.

1. profile image0
            Marisa Writesposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Sounds back to front to me - how does the reader know the significance of the photo if it comes first?

2. OldRoses profile image93
      OldRosesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

The editors have specific reasons for changing titles, usually for SEO reasons.  They changed the title on one of my articles and while I am not at all happy with it because it is a great example of keyword stuffing, I have left it as is because the change has not affected the traffic at all. 

In the end, we all have to remember that HubPages is not our own site.  The editors and staff make the decisions on what is acceptable and what is not.  The authors do not make those decisions.

1. psycheskinner profile image83
        psycheskinnerposted 4 years agoin reply to this

These are not rule compliance changes, but editorial suggestions. At worst reversing them might means your hub does not go to a niche site, and I doubt they want you to leave editor's spelling mistakes in titles. The editor - writer relationship is meant to be collaborative for the very reason that it is in a grey area of improvement where both parties have critical information about the material (e.g. SEO versus accuracy)..

NateB11posted 4 years ago

Well, I changed it. Let's see if I implode now.

Well, they've gone on a regular spree of editing my articles. Well, they did another one anyway. Makes me think I triggered somebody! lol

3. poppyr profile image93
    poppyrposted 4 years ago

What were the titles?

4. eugbug profile image95
    eugbugposted 4 years ago

Change it back if you aren't happy. I do that all the time.

5. Rupert Taylor profile image96
    Rupert Taylorposted 4 years ago

In my long experience, writers fall on a continuum. At one end are those who have a grand mal seizure if it's suggested a comma be added or removed. Then, there are those who acknowledge that a trained editor coming to a manuscript for the first time can always spot where improvements can be made.

I'm at the editors-have-a-useful-function end of the spectrum. When HP editors make changes, I work from the assumption that they are improving an article, particularly with regard to SEO. And, as everything I know about SEO can be written on the edge of a postage stamp, I leave them to it.

Not everyone is one extreme or the other. There's something between, "Leave my stuff alone," and " The editor knows best."

I was thinking the same thing. I mean, I still question things, let's me know my brain is still operating.

6. Rupert Taylor profile image96
    Rupert Taylorposted 4 years ago

Sherry and NateB11. I said it was a continuum and outlined the two extremes. I did not say it is a binary choice between one extreme or another.

Fair enough. I was figuring I fit somewhere on the spectrum just not on one end.

7. Kierstin Gunsberg profile image96
    Kierstin Gunsbergposted 4 years ago

If you change something back that an editor changed, you risk being removed from the niche. I've been asked or seen changes to my articles that in my opinion were incorrect or unwise but I just go with it anyway because my monetization depends on it.

Makes sense.

1. profile image0

Actually, no it doesn't.   I remember that threat - and it is a threat - being used when I was a member here years ago.  At the time, it was an empty threat because it never happened.

Think about it.  If your Hub was moved to a niche site in the first place, it was already good enough for the niche site.  If an editor subsequently decides to make some changes, those are just improvements. Even without those improvements, the Hub has earned its place on the niche site, so there's no justification for removing it.

If an editor makes changes before it's moved to the niche site, that's a different story.

8. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 4 years ago

Though I've had a few issues over the years, I generally default to editor knows best. I only really change something if it is clearly factually incorrect or something like that. I've had a few bad experiences, but it's relatively rare. More common for me is that editorial changes result in increases in traffic, sometimes very large. The problem with knee-jerk reactions is that you don't get to see the positive effects, which can take a few months. I suspect that in many cases writers instantly changing things back to how they were is an emotional reaction rather than a considered response.

I've complained about some edits lately but for the most part I'm okay with it. One edit did permanently reduced the traffic of a well-trafficked article, I never changed it back. But I don't care that much about that one. One of the recent edits has significantly reduced the income of another article of mine and I'm not sure it will earn what it once did. So, sometimes these changes have a negative effect and they can't be rescued. I was a bit upset. But I'm taking it in stride. Fortunately, I'm having a pretty decent run over the last 7 years. Some things could be better but I get residual income. And I like writing and I like the platform.

Actually they just did an awesome edit to one of my articles, and that's usually the case.

9. bhattuc profile image85
    bhattucposted 4 years ago

Sometimes editors might be doing something based on their experience and SEO considerations. It is all right but does it actually work? How to find that?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)