Is there a quick way to check where you rank in Google?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (15 posts)
  1. NateB11 profile image87
    NateB11posted 4 years ago

Without having to sift through pages and pages of search results, is there a way to find out where your article/keyphrase is in the search engine?

1. profile image55
      hacknoidposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Actually, there are multiple ways by which you can do so. Try using third party tools like Moz, Ahrefs, or Ubersuggest. Enter you URL and then there will be an option for ranking keywords. You'll find all those keywords on which your site is ranking, along with its position.
      Besides that, you can use Google search console to find rankings of your website.

2. eugbug profile image97
    eugbugposted 4 years ago

Try Ubersuggest and type in the title of your article or some keywords from it in the pane on the home page. Then select "keyword ideas" from the left side bar. A window on the right shows the first 100 sites that rank for the keywords, along with the number of social shares and backlinks.

1. NateB11 profile image87
      NateB11posted 4 years agoin reply to this

Cool, thanks. That's interesting I never really used ubersuggest. I've used other tools not that one. It's pretty valuable, provides good info.

3. Gregory DeVictor profile image95
    Gregory DeVictorposted 4 years ago

Take some of the keywords that you’ve optimized for and enter them into Google without quotes. You will then see whether you’ve captured the Google snippet, just where you rank in the organic search results, and whether Google has used one of your graphics on its first page. When Google uses one of your graphics on its first page in the “image” section, that can exponentially increase the number of page views that your article receives, depending on where the graphic is geographically located.

By the way, I am NOT talking about the paid ads at the top of the page; rather, I am referring to the Google images that sometimes appear at the very bottom of the first or second page of the SERPs.

Finally, you will see who your competition really is.

I do this all the time for my American nostalgia articles. For example, I enter keywords like “1999 facts,” “2003 facts,” etc. into Google to see where I rank.

1. profile image0
      Marisa Writesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I'm sure Nate already knows how to do that. The problem is that Google knows who you are and knows your history of visiting HubPages. So your Hubs will appear much higher in search results for you, compared with people who don't know you.

Even if you search while not signed into Google, or in an incognito window, Google looks at your IP address to tailor your results.  So whatever you see, it's still more optimistic than it should be.

You need to try searches on an unfamiliar PC, not logged into Google.  I would usually say, go to a library and use one of their PC's - but maybe not right now...

1. Gregory DeVictor profile image95
        Gregory DeVictorposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for the input. Perhaps that explains just why I can’t find what keywords or keyword combinations people have been using to get to some of my highest-traffic articles. (I’ve had no success thus far.) I must be ranking differently for certain “unknown keywords” on different computers, browsers, and in different geographical locations.

2. DrMark1961 profile image95
        DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

What is your opinion on using an alternative search engine like StartPage? They use Google results but are an anonymous search engine like Duckduckgo.

1. Gregory DeVictor profile image95
          Gregory DeVictorposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Dr. Mark, good suggestion. Yes, I receive traffic from Startpage, but have never paid any attention to it. So I tried it. For “1999 facts” on my computer, I capture the Google snippet. However, on Startpage, there is a paid ad the top, Wikipedia captures the snippet, and my article is #2 in the organic search results right after my main competitor. Interesting. I see that Startpage is referred to as “The world's most private search engine.”

Thanks for the idea.

2. profile image0
          Marisa Writesposted 4 years agoin reply to this

It really depends whether Google can still see your IP address.

Ubersuggest sounds like a good option.

1. DrMark1961 profile image95
            DrMark1961posted 4 years agoin reply to this

https://www.startpage.com/
            They say on their front page that they do not monitor.

1. lobobrandon profile image87
              lobobrandonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

I use serpbook to track some keywords of mine and I also confirmed the rankings with ubersuggest. For most of them startpage seems to be accurate. In some cases I am #1 when I am not and in the other cases I am in the top 3 on Google but do not show on the first 5 pages of startpage.

This is what I found: "We have noted that occasionally Google provides different results to Startpage than they offer to the general public, for reasons that are not entirely clear." https://support.startpage.com/index.php … han-google

It is good enough, but ubersuggest or some other tracker seems to be a better choice if you want to track rankings.

4. Caleb Melvern profile image91
    Caleb Melvernposted 4 years ago

Search for rank tracker tools. Most good ones are paid. Worth it if you have plenty of keywords to monitor.

5. psycheskinner profile image83
    psycheskinnerposted 4 years ago
    1. lobobrandon profile image87
      lobobrandonposted 4 years agoin reply to this

Isn't this more of a page rank tracker (google metric that was once public) than the ranking of keywords and where an article ranks?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)