Michigan - One Thrid of COVID Deaths Were In Nursing Homes

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (6 posts)
  1. Sharlee01 profile image81
    Sharlee01posted 3 years ago

https://usercontent1.hubstatic.com/15176142_f1024.jpg
    A third of Michigan’s COVID deaths which occurred in nursing homes. Who is to blame? Should we blame President Trump or perhaps the Governor that refused any Federal Government interference from the Federal Government? I have personally heard Michigan's governor Whitmer over the past months offering her opinion on how President Trump just won't adhere to the science of the virus...   Yet from the very moment we were all put into lockdown, we were told one of the main reasons was to protect our vulnerable, our elderly.

It's clear that a very large portion of the people that have died in the United States due to COVID have died in nursing homes... In Michigan, we have had 6,706, we are now being told one-third of these deaths occurred in nursing homes. Over 2000 elderly citizens died due to my Governor not having common sense enough to know how virulent the virus would spread in the close spaces of a nursing home or at best deciding not to follow CDC "Responding to Coronavirus (COVID-19) in Nursing Homes".

On Aug 12, 2020, AG Barr has requested states to provide records of persons that died of COVID in their nursing homes. This has caused an outcry from Democrats in Washington, calling the move political. However, we as citizens deserve answers. Did we lose loved ones needlessly to COVID due to COVID infected nursing homes? Where patients were sent back into their nursing homes from a hospital to recover from COVID or die due to being a do not resuscitate.

Easy to point the finger at others, but it's now time for these Governors
    to shoulder the blame of these many unnecessary deaths.

Do you have any idea how many in your state died of COVID due to just being a resident in a nursing home?

https://www.bridgemi.com/michigan-gover … -who-blame

1. CHRIS57 profile image61
      CHRIS57posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Certainly a very sad story. You indicate that some 30% of Corona deaths in Michigan are related to elderly care homes.

I can only give numbers for Germany. Recent studies over here give a much higher percentage: In G. 60% deaths are related to nursing homes or people who required professional care support. For G. this high percentage may be related to the fact that the rest of the population was fairly well protected by stringend distancing, lockdown measures and a health care system that never went to its limits.

In Europe in every country there is discussion ongoing about the failure to protect the eldery. As a lesson learned care workers get tested on a routine base in G. with testing capacity still up and active cases down.

Of course you can blame every politician in charge for this sad issue. But then you would have to blame every politician anywhere on this planet. Even those who got matters fairly well under control.

I would do another approach: Why is this percentage low in MI? Imho this indicates a lack of protecting the rest of the population, wouldn´t  you think?

Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

In Michigan 29% that have died were age  70 - 79.    44%  were 80+  Out Governor will not release the number of persons that died had underlying conditions. Most states here show an 80 to 89 % that parished had underlying conditions. This doe varies among states. It appears the virus killed the elderly above all.

I offered the stats in regard to nursing home deaths that were provided by the Governor.  As I mentioned AG Barr has requested the numbers.

We had a severe lockdown in Michigan and the Governor endorsed her mitigations via law enforcement.  It took a long while to get things under control.

1. CHRIS57 profile image61
          CHRIS57posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Statistics are never an indicator for individual destiny.

But what this virus does statistically:
          MI has a population of roughly 10 mill. If average life expectancy is 80 years, then every year die 125.000. Half year period of the pandemic is 62.500.
          If 6.700 died from/with Covid19, this is more than 10%. In other words: From average life expectancy is chopped off 10% or 8 years.

Don´t comfort yourself with "underlying conditions" and "old people would have died anyways soon". Life expectancy is not a constant number. For someone who is 80 years old, it is higher than for a toddler.

I am in my 60ties, and my yearly record from my health insurance rates my life expectancy to 93 years (up from 91 some 5 years ago). Doesn´t mean much, i could be involved in a fatal traffic accident tomorrow. But that is statistics.

This is what i don´t understand in the US (statewide, nationwide): Why do they allow so many active cases? This will drive death toll much higher (world statistics indicate some 0,7- 1,0% deaths in relation to active cases of 2.x mill.) and with no benefit for the economy and the general prosperity of the majority of people. As far as i can see, MI has bent the curve, bringing down the active cases, so this horror scenario may not apply to MI, specifically.

Would be interesting to know: Is there a wealth/income tag to Corona mortality? Media coverage suggests this in Europe and probably also in the US. Are there numbers?

Sharlee01posted 3 years agoin reply to this

I have not been able to find a wealth factor. But as an RN I can tell you it exists. I think what is clearly evident here in the US is that rural areas and suburbs have had a lower infection,. As has stated with fewer populations and dense living conditions. 

At this point, the new CDC guidelines on testing have changed. Less testing and more tracing of cases are what is being done now. I would hope if there is an uptick they will return to more testing. It may have been to soon to cut testing. Here in Michigan, we have been testing about 45 thousand a day. One can literally be tested at the corner drug store. We were seeing on average 400 per day out of the 45 thousand tested come in positive. It was felt tracing would work well at this point.

2. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 3 years ago

I'm not interested in playing the blame game but if democratic politicians want to, the data doesn't bode well for their case.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)