Rioters? Please be specific.

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (11 posts)
  1. Don Bobbitt profile image83
    Don Bobbittposted 3 years ago

https://usercontent2.hubstatic.com/14771881.jpg
    I sit here after the horrible mess the supporters of trump made in the Capital, and before you fly off the handle at me, YES, it was unforgivable that people can call themselves AMERICANS and do all that was done. It was bad enough that our government buildings were attacked and destroyed, but the people who think harming, and yes, even killing people is acceptable need to be found and prosecuted.
    I admit all of this. But, didn't I just spend several months last year watching large groups committing the same crimes as they destroyed sections of different American cities that had the verbal support of the other political party?
    Again, I believe these insane actions by certain criminals, regardless of political views or personal justifications for the harm and injuries they cause, are simple things to define. In my mind, these criminals must be prosecuted. But, did I see any legal actions taken back then? I don't know, RIOTERS are RIOTERS, and damn the political reasoning rthey try to use to justify their ridiculous actions. DON

1. wilderness profile image94
      wildernessposted 3 years ago

The DC rioting was, IMO, a direct result of years of using kid gloves on "peaceful protesters" (read: rioters), culminating in what we saw last year as cities all over the country burned, thousands upon thousands looted and destroyed and some actually occupied and took over sections of our cities.

When idiot lawmakers encourage, at times to the point of joining riots and destroying property, the inevitable result is that more riots, and more destruction, will occur.  Put the blame where it belongs; on those that ignore the law and encourage rioting with appeasement and very public, vocal, encouragement.  And, of course, people that support rioting...and the "leaders" that encourage rioting.  Donald Trump certainly did nothing to discourage it, but his part of the blame is far, far less than hundreds (thousands?) of liberal government "leaders" that encouraged the behavior over months and months of time through both active participation and a lack of action by not controlling and stopping it when it happens.

1. ScottSBateman profile image69
        ScottSBatemanposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Do you condemn or support the deadly mob attack on Capitol Hill?

By all of your responses on various threads, it seems as if you support it.

2. Don Bobbitt profile image83
        Don Bobbittposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Wilderness - I believe you have hit this "problem" right on the head. I was just wondering how our local governments, and the media, can express such different levels of indignation with a straight face.
        Riots, property destruction and harming other human beings are not things that can be "Good for the Goose, but Bad for the Gander" Wrong is wrong! Except when our useless media moguls think otherwise, I guess?
        DON

1. wilderness profile image94
          wildernessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

It's all about how it can be spun to denigrate the political opponents.  Truth and reality is a not a part of the typical political scene; only how emotions and rage can be stoked.  And, of course, how the country can be further divided into "us vs. them".

3. ScottSBateman profile image69

Since when is arresting 750 people a "kid gloves" treatment?

And since when is a legal "peaceful protester" the same as an illegal rioter? Or is it only when they are allegedly Democrats?

2. Live to Learn profile image59
      Live to Learnposted 3 years ago

I am saddened by the events of Wednesday but I think it is important to put it into perspective. As wilderness said,  we've witnessed violent mobs destroying property and attacking innocent citizens for quite some time.  We've witnessed the left condoning and justifying the violence.

Violence begets violence.  The left has no moral high ground at this moment.  There was no insurrection.  It was a riot. As the left has said in the past.... it was mostly peaceful. If they find this one unacceptable,  use the same rhetoric for all riots.

3. Dolores Monet profile image93
      Dolores Monetposted 3 years ago

The events of Jan. 6 were not a riot. People stormed the seat of our government in an attempt to thwart the democratic process. It was an insurrection that had been planned and discussed on right wing sites and forums for weeks. Terrorists chanted "hang Mike Pence," and several people brought zip ties in order to take hostages. There is a problem with extremism in the United States.

The president has remained silent on this outrage, except for a short message in which he told the terrorists that he loved them. I think he should have reminded people that the extreme actions of a few do not represent his followers, a sort of this is not who we are type of statement.  That he did not suggests his support.

Sadly, the world now views us as an unstable democracy.

1. ScottSBateman profile image69

Excellent post, Dolores. You are exactly right. World leaders -- at least the sane and democratic ones -- are aghast at what Trump and his followers have done.

1. Don Bobbitt profile image83
          Don Bobbittposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Your prejudice is showing, when you state that the only Sane world leaders are democratic?????? DON

4. IslandBites profile image89
      IslandBitesposted 3 years ago

The events of Jan. 6 were not a riot. People stormed the seat of our government in an attempt to thwart the democratic process.

Agree.

https://scontent.fsig3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/138049973_244085073747522_2984743018445529936_n.jpg?_nc_cat=1&ccb=2&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=dMCayS_E7QIAX_IJ2tw&_nc_ht=scontent.fsig3-1.fna&oh=119a9cd4a40ad54dbdbf01699f7c2c19&oe=60202201
      https://frontpagelive.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/01/an-attack-on-american-democracy-from-within-trump-supporters-invade-us-capitol-565x323.jpg
      https://i.insider.com/5ff983afbde805001980c07e?width=700
      https://scontent.fsig3-1.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/137660896_244014603754569_9129619776562563816_n.jpg?_nc_cat=106&ccb=2&_nc_sid=84a396&_nc_ohc=G2D3vTMz2g8AX_LR62V&_nc_ht=scontent.fsig3-1.fna&oh=930e8d70bc375c750d461e05a6753e00&oe=6022F118

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
    Necessary
    HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
    LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
    Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
    AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
    HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
    Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
    CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
    Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
    Features
    Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
    Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
    Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
    PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
    MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
    Marketing
    Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
    Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
    Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
    Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
    Statistics
    Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
    ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
    Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
    ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)