'Freddy Gray' Prosecutor Blasts Baltimore Justice System

Jump to Last Post 1-3 of 3 discussions (23 posts)
  1. GA Anderson profile image89
    GA Andersonposted 7 years ago

Maryland States Attorney Marilyn Mosby has dropped all charges against the remaining, untried, Baltimore police officers involved in the 'Freddy Gray' case; here is her Press announcement.

If you are not familiar with it; the case is about a black man that died in police custody. The States Attorney used an outside investigation and indicted six officers. The trails began with the most seriously charged first. The first three trails, (judicial, not jury), returned not guilty verdicts. Now the remaining three won't be tried. Here is the Freddy Gray case Wiki

The early criticisms of Mosby's actions were that; she acted too quickly before a thorough investigation could be completed, she over-charged the officers due to the political environment of the case, she politicized the case from the beginning with nationally televised press announcements, and that she was charging the cases as an appeasement to the violent protests that took place.

Now, her press conference seems to validate all those criticisms, and, illustrated her disdain for the entire Baltimore judicial system, from the cops to the judges to the Mayor's office

The judge and much of the public found there was insufficient evidence for the charges. In a CNN  interview even the Mayor quickly put a football field between herself and Ms. Mosby.

Watch her press conference to see how sure she is that she is the right one. Here is her Press announcement.

I think Ms. Mosby should consider a career change.

GA

1. profile image0
      Old Poolmanposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It would appear she either had a personal axe to grind or was trying to make herself famous.  She did get some fame but not in a positive way.

2. colorfulone profile image79
    colorfuloneposted 7 years ago

When I first read this news I felt like a piece of my heart got ripped out.  That feeling has not gone away.  Thank you for posting this GA.  I'm surprised it has not gotten much more attention so far, but then it is too much to swallow.

3. profile image0
    calculus-geometryposted 7 years ago

She succeeded in putting the fear of God in them, and everyone else on the police force. Even though she failed to get a single conviction, I think the coming years will show a decrease in Baltimore police brutality, largely out of fear of Mosby or a successor who will follow her example.

1. profile image0
      ahorsebackposted 7 years agoin reply to this

The truth came out !  There is no police violence !  At least  far , far less than in the civilian  sector !

1. GA Anderson profile image89
        GA Andersonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Hold on there bud. Yes the truth did come out, but it was not that there is no police violence, it was that this States Attorney was determined to prosecute somebody, (six somebodies), regardless of what the facts were.

Her actions were criticized from day one as being mob motivated, and the end results have proven those criticisms to be correct.

GA

1. profile image0

You're right ,  Baltimore has a population of police = 2,700  +  strong -OVER half of which are minority cops  ,    That's  a pretty darned good number and yet  ,   the leftist  who cry racism at every turn the cops make ........seriously ?

Three of the six  in or near that van were black , Freddie Gray is black ,   perhaps someone on the left will always  pull "racism out of there hat "   at every turn  but to do so in Baltimore ?   

The only racists  there seem to be  of the black minority  ,like this prosecutor !

Baltimore must also be , without my  checking ,   60 % black by population ;    maybe they need a little "bussing " in order to normalize and minimalize the racism there !

1. colorfulone profile image79
            colorfuloneposted 7 years agoin reply to this

Is Baltimore another one of those Democrat and their union pals problems, like Detroit and Chicago?  They haven't had a Republican mayor since 1967.  Perhaps its the ideas and politics used by the players that are the major problems?

1. rhamson profile image70
              rhamsonposted 7 years agoin reply to this

It is the corrupt politics with people like Cummings, Dixon and Blake who only pay lip service. Party does not matter as they all spin the same lies and BS to stay in or get in. Our governor is a ray of hope but there is not much he can do with the city.

1. profile image0

Got to remember ---Baltimore is a cess-pool  of a liberal stronghold !    Democratically run  for how long ?      Democratic voting  , for how long ?    Incredible violent crime rate ,   democratic mayor , democratic prosecutor  , democratic police comm.?

Why don't people truly understand the total lack of leadership  from the long standing  Left in Baltimore  IS THE PROBLEM  - not the solution ?

It's not the left or right that makes a difference. The money is politically blind. The right has no answers to anything either. Hogan has reduced taxes and nothing has changed. The political solution is dead on arrival as the money is at the heart of the corruption. Dems and Reps. are equally inept.

1. profile image0

You're right except that republicans want less government in our lives ,  Hence , hold far less blame for our decline  and  hold more  solutions by simply  reducing the intrusions of nanny state government in our lives !

2. rhamson profile image70

I have lived in the Baltimore area for the last 30 plus years and personally know some police retired and active duty. They are a great bunch of guys who I have a lot of respect for. I also note that the prejudice that runs through the department is not a hard thing to understand having known these men. Is it experience or bias that these men are suspicious of black people I don't know. Do they knowingly suspect black people due to their race is a hard thing to prove. I do know that the blue wall of silence is real and due to it nothing will change. Has life gotten better for the black inhabitants of the city due to this event and the ensuing riot. Not a chance. Politicians like Blake, Cummings and Mosby will effect no change because they are what needs to be changed.

1. profile image0

Seems t me , judging by skin color ,  that three of the six cops in the Freddie grey case were black !   How does that equal anything to do with racism .  I'm confused   but  I sure wish I a was a liberal because  then I might truly understand how to be a racist ALL the time .

My reference to the police are white and that is what I base my argument. If you have never been to lower Baltimore's east and west side you would think you had strolled into Beirut. The area around Johns Hopkins is especially bad between the wholesale wrecking machines and slums. I don't know what the leadership in this city is trying to say when nothing has changed for the better but only for the worse.

2. GA Anderson profile image89

Greetings rhamson, it looks like we might almost be neighbors. I am on the Eastern Shore side of the bay.

Your question about "experience or bias" is a good one in this case because it involves almost an all-black cast. The mayor is black. The prosecutor is black. The police chief is black. Three of the six officers charged were black. The judge was black. The police dept. is majority black. Baltimore's population is a majority black population. And Baltimore has been ranked as the 3rd most dangerous U.S. city for violent crime. And the crime stats show blacks are responsible for the largest majority of crimes.

At least Mosby didn't try tto accuse them of racism.

GA

Actually I also live on the Eastern Shore (Kent Island). I work in and around Baltimore and DC. Originally from Philly via Honolulu. That will mess with ya, huh? smile

3. GA Anderson profile image89

I don't see it that way at all. As it is for rhamson, this is almost a local issue for me, so we have had local coverage of this saga. Rather than intimidating the police, I think her actions have driven the wedge between the political authority and civil authority a lot deeper.

Perception is everything, and Ms. Mosby's actions, from start to finish, have reeked of political ambition and an attempted political hatchet job.

It has been said that between the police dept.'s internal investigation, and her outside investigation, about 40 detectives worked on the case. And still, the States Attorneys charges could not be supported by evidence. Yet, in her press conference Ms. Msoby declared it was a miscarriage of justice because Baltimore's judicial system is corrupt.

On the other hand here is what Freddy Gray's family attorney had to say about the verdicts;
      "..."At this critical time and for good and sound and decent reasons, we have to respect Judge Williams' opinion, because it was the result of an obviously fair process," Gray family attorney Billy Murphy told CNN on Tuesday.

Murphy said Williams' "excellent reputation both for probity and for being an aggressive prosecutor for many years ... of police misconduct cases" helped relieve concerns many had about the legal process.
      "That gives us confidence that our designated representative of the community, Judge Barry Williams, did a credible job," he said. "That's all we wanted out of the process."

I think Ms. Mosby's actions have disqualified her for any application of public trust.

GA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)