Genetical Modified Food Source v. Organic Food Source

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (36 posts)
  1. Miebakagh57 profile image69
    Miebakagh57posted 3 years ago

One importance of food is that it provide energy for the body. Do genetic modified foods provide an energy level higher than the organic foods, or is it the other way round? Just curious.

1. peterstreep profile image79
      peterstreepposted 3 years agoin reply to this

It's clear that there is a problem with mass food production on lots of levels.
      A lot of food you buy in the supermarkets today contains lots of sugars and fat. More and more people have allergies because of poor food quality. May this be the mass production and the tons of poison used in fruit and vegetables or the added "stuff".
      Genetically modified foods have the risk of unbalancing the ecosystem. This is already done by using tons of poison on the crops and trees. As a result that bees are dying for instance. Growing GM food is like using nuclear energy, making use of the scientific possibilities that show profit without bothering to think about the impact on the environment and problems on longer terms.

It's obvious that organic food is far better than modified food. As organic food grew and developed on a slow piece together with the evolution of homo sapiens.

You can argue about the practicality of organic food, but that's a different subject.
      A really good Netflix series I want to promote here is called Rotten. It's a series of short documentaries about the problems in the food industry. Like the slavery behind the chocolate industry, the milk industry problems, the bee farmers losing every year more and more colonies.

There is indeed something rotten in the state of the food industry and it is time that these powerful syndicates are made aware of their responsibility.

Another thing is. We used to spend more money on food and less on renting a house/mortgage. Today it's the opposite for lots of people. I advocate for raising the prices of food so the farmers get more for their produce (Not the middle man) and lower the prices of houses (in whatever way possible.)

Food is incredibly important. If you eat good food you won't get sick that quickly or have to go to the dentist that often. An apple a day keeps the doctor away.. An organic apple that is. Not an apple you have to wash before you eat it.

Rotten

1. wilderness profile image94
        wildernessposted 3 years agoin reply to this

I would question whether "organic" food is better than "modified" food simply because it took a long time to come about.  Certainly the "modified" (specifically bred for this or that attribute) food, while taking decades or centuries to become what it is today, did not develop along with the human species.  That would take hundreds of thousands of years, and even then does not account for mankind moving about and eating new foods as he did.

We could cut the cost of housing very easily by simply downsizing - people don't need a thousand square feet per person.  We could also eliminate many of the amenities in a house, like dishwashers, AC (in much of the world), extra thick walls with extra insulation (of course that means more energy) a whole raft of kitchen appliances, nice flooring - the list is extensive of what we put into a house that we don't need.

We evolved around food. We learned to cook and our stomach is used to cooked food. The same with grain and rice. We did not suddenly eat all this food. First, we foraged them, and then on a small scale we "farmed" them, this was a slow process over thousands of years. We evolved together with our food. And the food and climate made us who we are. Different foods in different parts of the world, and different tolerances. Some people are fine with cows' milk some not. This is an evolutionary process and if I'm correct a genetic thing.
          GM does not take into account this evolutionary process. and for this, it's highly questionable.
          Then there is the whole business around "rights" and patents. A nasty business that is!
          I'm not a religious person, but a truly religious person should be anti-MG. Politics talk about Pro-Life and anti-abortion etc. But you never hear them talk about anti-GM. Why? Simple there is to much power and money involved. And then ethics are thrown out of the window.

1. Castlepaloma profile image75
            Castlepalomaposted 3 years agoin reply to this

+

2. wilderness profile image94

You missed the point.  Mankind came out of Africa to Europe and found new sources of food there.  They didn't grow up with it, they didn't evolve with it - it was brand new to them.

This has been repeated over and over throughout our history as man changed his diet.  It might be from a climate change, might be from a geographical change, it might be from a newly discovered method of preparation or methods of storage.  It might even be from a new plant or animal in the area, brought in by wind or waves.  Whatever it was, man has found new foods forever and did not evolve with what he ate.

And that was the point - to say that because man evolved with a certain food source and therefore only that food should be eaten is incorrect.  Man is an omnivore and can (and does) eat almost anything - he does not require that only food sources that are millenia old be eaten.

We are innovative without poisonous fertilizer and chemicals of GMO methods.
              I net abouts $50 an hour net growing and selling my vegetables. Also can train, most people to do the same. Imagine just growing your garden on your lawn, takes as much time and money as growing grass.

2. Miebakagh57 profile image69
              Miebakagh57posted 3 years agoin reply to this

Even though man's an omnivour, it does not necesarily mean he could eat anythng or all things. That could place him in the same class as the cocksoach!                                      Agreed that mankind migrated ov of Africa, I can assume they took along with them certain foods while crossing big rivers seas, and oceans. Or even deserts.                                                 Otherwise how d'you account for the foods they eat accross the seas or the deserts? Fish? Games?                                    Or while roaming out of the evergreen forests(not every fruit growing on a tree is not fit for food, right?) they should be taste as salt.                                                        Hence, they took certain foods with them out of Africa, while in the state of hunter-gatherer.

3. Miebakagh57 profile image69

+++++

2. Castlepaloma profile image75

+++

3. Miebakagh57 profile image69

I agree with you. Naturally, I prefer organic foods sold in the market over that on the counter in the big malls and supermarkets. I always read labels attached for example, over a gram of potatoes if these were source locally(remember the 500 yards radius, right?) or imported. It meant much to me.

Good for you.

2. Castlepaloma profile image75
    Castlepalomaposted 3 years ago

https://www.entrepreneur.com/article/337171

It's a no brainer that organic foods are healthier because we grow it and know it plus train others to do so. Is much cheaper than buying it too.

The life expectancy of countries that grow moreso organic are higher and people are happier because you are what you eat. My daughter and I are first hand examples we grow our own vegetable and fungi food the two largest biomass life on the planet. I'm 66 years old most people think I am age 50 always get asked for seniors ID. My daughter is age 30 she always get asked for ID for places like bars if she is over age 18. People in Japan and hong kong live 7 or 8 years longer than Americans big on organic food. My holistic doctors in Belize only live on home grown food and medicine , as most of them live over age 100.

The only disadvantage is organic is higher in price and spoils faster. Yet that is changing quickly because health and loving yourself is most important thing in the world. Plus the freedom to be allowed to do so from GMO who do everything they can to destroy the our healthy market and places to grow it.

Also even Nathanville states European ban GMO and they are among the highest life expectancy also.

I've noted all your points. But does it implies that GMO food source cannot increased longivity with some individuals?

3. wilderness profile image94
    wildernessposted 3 years ago

There is very little food that we eat that has NOT been modified to provide more profit to the producer.  From the grains we grow to the meat we raise it has all been genetically modified.

I think it is not true with many peasant farmars. They refused buying  GMO seeds, shoots, and roots.

1. wilderness profile image94

But they DO buy modified seeds and such.  Somehow we ignore that decades or centuries of working to produce "better" plants and animals, using breeding plans rather than gene splicing, is still producing a "genetically modified" organism.

That we choose plants and animals with a mutation originating from a cosmic ray, chemical change or even simple chance rather than intentionally changing the genetic structure to produce the next generation does not change that.

There is a difference here. The modification of let say grain, happened over the centuries, and man and the environment developed with it.

With modern Genetically Modified food, the environment and the human body are not developed at the same pace as the GM product.
          In other words, the shock to the natural system is much larger and it's far more difficult to know and predict the consequences.

Asuming that could be true. But I think a scientific proof is required.                                                           For example, the first genetically engineered cow, Dolly lived to be six years. Throughout her life time, Dolly birth Polly.                                                                   More so, it was just an experimental and the science of genetics is being exploit.                                              My question: could the generations of Polly be comparable to the naturally breed cows in terms of meat or nutrient?

1. LongTimeMother profile image92
            LongTimeMotherposted 3 years agoin reply to this

Dolly and Polly were cloned sheep.

Dolly Polly is a monster, so she lies awake in fear of the Witcher, who will kill her, because she is a monster. ... Witchers are mutants with powers that allow them to singlehandedly fight and kill dangerous monsters that are a threat to a large group of people.

Freaky Frankenstein stuff.

Castlepaloma, you're doing yourself a great favour.                                          What has Dolly  Polly, no it's Dolly and Polly got in common or in connection with your  ART?                                       Don't derail from the thread. It's all about  GMO modified foods. Hope you adhere.

The GMO is the Frankenstein monster in abstract

Really freakly?

Yes. But could not there be any trace of GMO in there?                                 I have my doubts, and at the same time extremely curious. This is an issue. May it not  fall into the waste bin!

4. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago

We must "listen to Mother Nature or she will box our ears."

However, I believe we can improve foods when done/modified right.
    For instance, a genetically modified rice, called Golden Rice, has been created by combining rice genes with corn genes. It is yellow because of the corn genes and therefore, contains vitamin A. Golden Rice could help poor kids in impoverished areas of the world who cannot get enough vitamin A in their diets.

Yet there are those who are against it, just because it is GMO.
    Ridiculous.

We do know for sure that white rice specific lack vitamin A.                                       So if GMO means cross breeding related plants or animals for a higher production(is that not a sort of fertilization, polination, or mating?), I don't see what's wrong with that.                                             Actually, the yellow rice could be much more nutrtious than both the white rice and corn combined.

Yellow rice is more nutriential  than white rice. Don't know about corn yet there is way too much of gmo corn in everything.

5. Kathryn L Hill profile image77
    Kathryn L Hillposted 3 years ago

PS Organic is best. It tastes and digests better than non-organic vegetables and foods.
    Who wants to overburden their organs (kidneys and liver) with insecticides and chemical fertilizer residue?

That sounds better.

Nothing could be further from the truth, the whole truth.

Are you saying Miebakagh.???
        GMO foods tastes and digests better than organic vegetables and foods.
        Even with GMO insecticides and chemical fertilizer residue ?

"Organic is best." I'm yet to eat a GMO food.

That's another advantage you have, living there.

Still love to hook up with a black woman, many here are soiled.

How about trying the unsoiled/de-soiled ones over there? As it is there, so is here.                                                 Besides it is rare these days to get a pure breed. But for those seeking are finding. Western or European civilization like GMO is corrupting. I try to make out a story late last on this. I need to do more research.

Think I have to find someone nice here.
                Almost  nobody can traveled anymore because they been so much broken from the plandemic.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)