BIg drop in revenue today!

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (21 posts)
  1. Kenna McHugh profile image92
    Kenna McHughposted 2 years ago

A 50% drop happened yesterday. Is this because of the holiday or Google updates?

1. eugbug profile image96
      eugbugposted 2 years agoin reply to this

We're into Q3 so CPM has dropped. Also the algos have reduced views.

Kenna McHughposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Okay. Thanks!

2. Kyler J Falk profile image91
      Kyler J Falkposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Increased traffic all around, steady revenue stream throughout past three-four months, but most of my top-earning articles are in video games.

Video games!

3. bravewarrior profile image87
      bravewarriorposted 2 years agoin reply to this

According to GA, my views are up 15.5% today. Conversely, my HP reported earnings for the first three days in July are minimal.

How do you determine revenue versus Google Analytics reporting? I'm not adept at reading my GA reports other than the rise and fall of traffic.

Is there another way to view my earnings other than the Earnings tab in my HP account? How can I get a real-time view of my earnings?

I just go by my earnings, which shot back up today. So I am happy!

2. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
    PaulGoodman67posted 2 years ago

Another Google core update began yesterday. We can only hope that we get the traffic back that we lost in the June core update (which cost many people 20% of their traffic)!

From SERoundtable: "Danny Sullivan under the Search Liaison Twitter account posted "the July 2021 Core Update, previously announced, is now rolling out." Danny added that "these typically take 1-2 weeks to finish." Normally they take a full two weeks but the June core update ran on June 2nd and ended on June 12th - a 10 day period."

Thanks, Paul. This is helpful.

1. PaulGoodman67 profile image95
        PaulGoodman67posted 2 years agoin reply to this

I've not seen much change overall. Although, there are some isolated fluctuations going on with individual hubs, which is generally a sign that something's going on.

In the last core update, a number of days went past before anything much happened on here. And as usual, traffic could go up, down, or stay the same. Only the Big G knows. smile

That is what I am seeing. I am sure big advertisers on G trend well.

I hope that one day soon I will wake up to find lots of red arrows decorating my stats list. If that doesn't happen by the end of August, it will be awful, as many more months will likely go by before there's another big Google update(s).

The period between Aug/Sept 2019 and the start of this year was truly awful. We had it good for the first five months of 2021, but now we're effectively back to previous levels.

That's maybe a simplification, and everyone doesn't have exactly the same experience (for a variety of reasons), but that's my experience and how I see the situation.

1. bravewarrior profile image87

I have a mix of blue and red arrows. GA shows my traffic is up by 34% (as of July 4th), but it's down from July 2nd and 3rd. I'm sure the holiday has something to do with it.

2. eugbug profile image96

This has actually been my best year as regards traffic and revenue. However all the updates in the last couple of months have been detrimental and I'm down to traffic levels less than last year. I suppose it's just down to what topics we write about. Some of my gardening articles have gained traffic since last year whereas others have decreased in popularity.. The same goes for math and physics tutorials. There doesn't seem to be any pattern really.

Dang! What can we do???

Don't know. My best performing math guide went from having a featured snippet down to 30th and 40th place in SERPs for keywords from the title.

Problems are so widespread, it's almost certainly technical imho, and therefore has to be sorted by Maven/HP. I have multiple accounts, write for most of the niches, and things don't look good right now.

It may right itself, of course, Google can easily introduce an update that cancels out previous ones. I think we have to wait and see. Google promised turbulence until late August

I miss the old days, when HP would tell us what was going on. They have all the data and expertise, and can see the big picture much better than any of us.

2. bravewarrior profile image87

Eugene, I'm not very techy. How can I compare current time performances to a year ago, or even six months ago? Are you looking at your account in HP or what GA reports? Please enlighten me.

I'm using GA on a desktop. I never look at these things in tablet or cellphone apps because it's too fiddly to configure the details of graphs. So to compare two ranges of dates, first select Behavior > Site Content > All Pages from "Reports" in the left side Panel:

https://hubstatic.com/15629569.png

Then click on the date range at the top right of the page to expand a config dialog:

https://hubstatic.com/15629582.png

This allows you to set a date range.
                  https://hubstatic.com/15629577.png

Click in the first box to set the start date. You can then use the left and right arrows on the calendar to slide through the months and pick a date, or type a date in directly in the text box. Do the same for the end date. Next click the "compare to" check box. This gives you two extra boxes for setting the start and end date of the range you want to compare with. Enter dates in here too by clicking dates in the calendar or entering directly.

https://hubstatic.com/15629579.png

Once you've clicked apply, trends are shown for both ranges of dates. By default all traffic to your account is shown, but if you click on one of the pages in the list below the plots, it shows a trend for that page. There seems to be a bug in GA which prevents the trend for all traffic being shown once the browser back button is displayed after selecting a specific page.
                  You can also checkout the "Audience" report which will give you hourly traffic for your account.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)