A New Clue About What A "Fair Share" Is For Wealthy Folks

Jump to Last Post 1-2 of 2 discussions (29 posts)
  1. GA Anderson profile image89
    GA Andersonposted 2 years ago

I haven't heard any politician or political operative ever answer the question of what is the `fair share' of taxes that they think the wealthy should pay. No one ever says. We just get the Buffet argument. Quickly willing to define what isn't a fair share, but only a hmm . . . when asked about what is a fair share.

I think a political voice that can fairly be held as an example of the Progressive voice and ideology has given us a clue.

In an interview about the proposed tax increases aimed at the wealthy this Voice answered a question of whether he thought 50% was a Fair Share for the rich to pay?

The answer: " . . sure, well ah it's getting closer to it*
    *(not sure about the exact order of "sure, well")

Our new clue is that the Democrats' Fair Share tax rate is more than 50%.

GA

1. Sharlee01 profile image80
      Sharlee01posted 2 years agoin reply to this

Biden has gone on ad nauseam that households earning less than $400,000 a year wouldn’t “pay a penny more". However, The framework omits all the particular...  I have not found any form of Biden's new documented tax plan.  It's been reported the new tax plan will be in BBB. IT is clear  American's will need to wait and see what has been proposed in regard to new tax rates.

"In an interview about the proposed tax increases aimed at the wealthy this Voice answered a question of whether he thought 50% was a Fair Share for the rich to pay?"

Who's voice are you referring to? It appears you heard someone in an interview offer a number.

GA Andersonposted 2 years agoin reply to this

A former mayor, presidential candidate, and current Cabinet member Pete Buttigieg. The quote came from an interview segment he did with Fox's Neil Cavuto.

https://fairtax.org/articles/buttigieg- … p-tax-rate

Starts at about the 8-minute mark.

GA

In my view, Mayor Pete was careful not to put a number on what is the wealthiest "fair share".  When asked if 50% was a fair share, he said --- at least closer to their fair share. It would appear he was saying 50% is although closer to a fair share but not enough. Being a put on the spot, was he sharing what he knows or just guessing what a fair share should be?

Biden's tax plan is not really available for citizens to view. The only information is vague at best, Peppered with words such as - Biden’s plan is expected to call for an increase in corporate taxes, and individuals at higher income levels can also expect to pay more. I am sure you have heard this statement over and over ---  "nobody making under $400,000 a year will have their taxes increased.”

The problem is there are no available facts on how much those that make over $400,000 will pay.  Guess we are all in for a big surprise.

It's a shame we are forced to put up with this form of extreme lack of transparency.

Sharlee, the point of the OP wasn't to define an exact number that is the party's official "Fair Share" rate. I don't think they have one. Past experience says that Fair Share number will change based on the party's desired funding needs. I don't think it is some secret number hidden in the bowels of their plans that we just need some economist to dig out. My point was just that we finally have a clue—it's more than 50%.

Also, I should have noted that this question isn't specific to recent legislation, it was a question of legacy. Consider how often we hear the claim that "They aren't paying their fair share," but there is never any number attached to that "fair share."

I think Mayor Pete has finally given us a clue, and considering the contrary responses to this OP, no one wants to own the thought that they do think it is only fair that the wealthy are taxed at a more than 50% rate.

Geez, who knew that Mayor Pete was such an outlier in the party.

GA

Yes, it was clear to me too---  It would appear he was saying 50% is although closer to a fair share, but just not enough. I think there is a number, a tax plan must be laid out in the bill if they want to initiate it into law. They may be tweaking it.  I think Biden said something very telling when he was running, a report was asking him a question about something (can't recall the question) he said, I will answer that after I win.

Not sure if Mayor Pete is an outlier, I think Biden as a whole is made up of little Bernie, a tad of Elizabeth Warren, and a smudge of Ron Klain, and 90% Obama.

That's one helluva family tree.

GA

I wonder if we will ever know who is calling the shots.

2. Live to Learn profile image60
      Live to Learnposted 2 years agoin reply to this

The tax rate for the wealthy has been higher. On income over the top. What was it? 90% in the forties, for income over $200,000?

1. Ken Burgess profile image78
        Ken Burgessposted 2 years agoin reply to this

The Wealthy don't own anything.
        That is one of the ways they stay wealthy.
        What they own is Shares of stock (Musk, Bezos, Gates)
        They control corporations, and those corporations own the cars, properties, planes that they use.
        The corporations get tax write offs for all sorts of things, the biggest corporations in the world pay almost no taxes.
        The Wealthy don't own much at all, people who own their cars, houses, etc. are the ones that pay all the taxes.

3. Valeant profile image86
      Valeantposted 2 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, one person said it so it must be the party line.

Gosar just released a video where he attacks AOC, I guess all the Republicans are psychopaths by that logic.

Yep, one person. A former mayor, presidential candidate, and current Cabinet member Pete Buttigieg. My Conservative perspective, developed through his campaign exposures, (speeches, platform, etc.), and recent administration positions is that Mayor Pete is very representative of the "party line." You must disagree with that. Oh well, I do think a Cabinet-level administration pick is indicative of the party line and position.

[EDIT] Oops, that was a Neil Cavuto interview, not Bret Baier.

GA

1. Valeant profile image86

Cavuto asked Buttigieg this question:

“What is your definition of fair share, at 50%, are they paying their fair share?”

Did he ask what the administration thinks, or did he ask Buttigieg?

Same guy actually giving the specifics on the party line:

"Well, I think that an honest look at corporate America will tell you that they can do more to pay their fair share. Look, remember we are calling for a tax rate of 28%. For most of my lifetime that rate stood at 35% and American companies were perfectly competitive, extremely competitive. So if we can handle 35%, I am pretty sure we could handle 28%," Buttigieg said.

The corporate rate is a different point. I addressed the individual tax rate he spoke to. If his corporate rate stance is the "specifics on the party line" why aren't his comments about individual taxpayer rates. ie. the wealthy, equally taken as the party line?

What are you defending? Do you think I am misrepresenting his comments? Do you think he doesn't speak for the progressive Democrats in the administration, and the party when he talks about tax rates for the wealthy?

GA

I am defending the fact that Cavuto asked Buttigieg.  You know who speaks for the administration?  Either the White House Press Secretary or the President himself.  You know who speaks for Democrats?  Whichever moderate or progressive leader they appoint for each wing of the party since it's a big tent. 

What I am defending is the generalization across the board that you insist this is now the 'Democrat' policy.  In much the same way we should not say that because Paul Gosar or Marjorie Taylor Greene are elected Congressmen and Congresswomen that they therefore speak for the majority of Republicans.

So, it appears you don't agree with Buttigieg; 50% is not getting close to your view of their Fair Share. And you don't think most Democrats or Progressives think 50% is getting close to their Fair Share number. And you don't think Buttigieg is representative, as a generalization, of the Democrat party.

And, you want to take the path that the only correct view of the Democrats' Fair Share perspective is whichever an official spokesperson says. Well, that was the point of the OP—they ain't saying.

As long as I am running on "what appears to be," it appears that you are a Democrat, (or an Independent Liberal, but Liberal you certainly appear), so what is your view of the question, is 50% getting closer to the number in your mind?

GA

The 50% figure seems high by about 10-15%.

1. wilderness profile image95
                    wildernessposted 2 years agoin reply to this

If a group of (wealthy) people form a corporation, that means that of every dollar the corporation earns in profit you feel that Uncle Sam should get 70 cents.  35% of corporate profits and at least 35% of dividends (profits) paid to the owners.

How can you possibly justify charging one person 70% of their income while half the nation pays no net federal taxes at all?  How can that possibly be considered "fair"?

2. wilderness profile image95

Isn't that exactly what the OP said?  That there is never an answer, just "well we can handle 28% (or whatever the current attempt to grab more is), without ever stating what is "fair"?

Personally, I've always wondered just how "fair" it can possibly be when every dollar a corporation earns is taxed twice - once when the corporation earns it and once again when it is transferred to the owners of that corporation.

I also think ta corporate tax is double taxation. And if you carry it a step further, ie. our `death' taxes, that same money is taxed three times.

GA

1. wilderness profile image95

You're right - hadn't thought about that one.  The never ending greed of politicians for what people have earned.

3. GA Anderson profile image89

Let's stick to the point of the OP—the Democrats' perspective of what a Fair Share is. The corporate side of those tax increases is a different matter.

Are you saying Buttigieg's perspective is not that of the Democrats, as a whole? You are going to pull something with the stretch you are trying to make.

GA

2. IslandBites profile image90
    IslandBitesposted 2 years ago

Hmm . . . I think I will wait for the November one. I have heard that a lot has changed since April.

GA

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)