Colin Kaepernick compares NFL combine to slavery. Thoughts?

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (7 posts)
  1. Lone Wolf Prime profile image81
    Lone Wolf Primeposted 2 years ago

Colin Kaepernick has a new documentary series out on Netflix where it explores his childhood and how he went from becoming a promising young quarterback in the NFL to activist in today's era.   

In his recent episode, he compared the NFL combine to slave trading.   The comparison comes from the fact that it was suggested the coaches, doctors and physicians that examine players at the NFL combine is eerily similar to how slave traders inspected potential slaves before buying them.   

For those of you who don't know much about the NFL combine, it's where college football players go to workout and get checked out by NFL teams doctors and scouts, as it's a way for them to determine if whether or not they should draft said player onto their team in the NFL.   My question to all of you is this.     Do you agree with Colin Kaepernicks comparison?  Or do you think he's full of BS?   Please discuss.

1. Kathryn L Hill profile image76
      Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years agoin reply to this

He was raised by a white mother in a white family. Rebel much?

Maybe his mother was very authoritative.
      Maybe she was bossy.
      A Karen.

2. tsmog profile image84
      tsmogposted 2 years agoin reply to this

When he first did his openly kneeling as statement I was okay with that. Since then I ignore anything and everything he says and does.

As far as his new 'Theory' shared in the OP I first ask does not all members of different races undergo the same process? Doesn't make any sense at all.

2. abwilliams profile image68
    abwilliamsposted 2 years ago

He is so full of b.s., I came very close to writing about this, but then decided on a different direction. I’ve written about him enough, he isn’t worthy of any more of my valuable time.
    My Dad’s military “examination”, which detected hearing loss in one of his ears, kept him out of the Air traffic control tower and tinkering with radios {as he put it} instead. I guess my Dad should have felt discriminated against or less worthy than the next specimen, rather than accepting of the fact that when he was a little boy, he shouldn’t have been playing with firecrackers. I will have to share Colin’s take with him and see what he thinks!

3. Live to Learn profile image60
    Live to Learnposted 2 years ago

If a multi million dollar contract is slavery, and complete freedom to make millions more through endorsements and taking advantage of all that the fame and glory of being a professional football player brings is bondage, I think I understand people willingly participating in the process. But, maybe he’s jealous that he couldn’t pay a team to take him on, much less get paid to do it.

4. Ken Burgess profile image78
    Ken Burgessposted 2 years ago

I think Kaepernick has made himself many more millions being a whiny ignorant twat than he would have ever made playing football.

I think he is cashing in, I would love to be a "slave" of the NFL for only a few years, I would make more in just a few years as an NFL player than I will make in an entire lifetime... but hey, if he were to peddle that reality he wouldn't be making millions whining about how unjust the country is, would he?

5. Lone Wolf Prime profile image81
    Lone Wolf Primeposted 2 years ago

Damn now it's reported Colin still wants to go back to the NFL?  Isn't that a bit hypocritical considering he just compared it to slavery yet he wants to go back?  So does that mean Colin likes being a slave?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)