What do I feed a sick family?

Jump to Last Post 1-18 of 18 discussions (35 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 14 years ago

Woke up about midnight this morning, everyone is puking and poop peeing.

Not sure feeding them is a good idea since they all got some pretty disgusting stomach flu.  I didn't realize so much stuff could come out of a living human being but I guess it does.

So what should I feed my 3 year old and my boyfriend or is it just best to keep giving them fluids and no food?

1. sooner than later profile image59
      sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

swine flu?

1. profile image0
        sandra rinckposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, the woman that we are staying with took her son to the ER a couple days ago and determined that it was some sort of gastral intestinal virus that he would have to wait out.

I think the swine flu is milder than this though to tell ya the truth.

1. sooner than later profile image59
          sooner than laterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

ahh, the ol screen door stomach flu. thats the worst

2. profile image57
        soumya singhposted 14 years agoin reply to this

hello,
        give them acidophilus a prebiotic supplement, but make sure they are not on any antibiotics. if they are taking nay antibiotics then make sure theres a difference of atleast 4 hrs before the doses.
        bit more about prebiotics, these are the healthy bacteria which are naturally produced in the gut, but antibiotics and faulty food habits destroy them. prebiotics help in boosting our immune system.
        some health stores sell a prebiotic flavoured drink which is suitable for kids.

2. DogSiDaed profile image60
      DogSiDaedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Toast and a small amount of jam always worked for me, maybe not butter as this may not help as much. Things like bread and rice, (especially brown) always seem to work, not least for bunging you up a bit more so the squits aren't as bad XD I have also heard drinking small quantities of very slightly salty water may also help? Although I couldn't testify to that.

1. profile image0

That was a couple months ago. 

What worked to control the amount of vomiting was to withhold liquid for a while and then give them sips here and there and no food.  Absolutely no food! yikes

I got it about a week later, it was not a good feeling.

3. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Chicken broth soup and saltine crackers and water. big_smile

4. Curious Jen profile image61
      Curious Jenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Stick to fluids for a few days.  Water, broth, juice.  The key is to drink as much as possible.  If your child isn't able to drink much make sure she gets a tablespoon of water every 30 minutes.  Once things calm down add some toast and rice.

2. jenblacksheep profile image68
    jenblacksheepposted 14 years ago

chicken soup!!!

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What she said!
      But mostly broth to begin.

Also make sure you get electrolytes in them, which is potassium and a few other things. Bananas are good, sports drinks usually have electrolytes in them.

1. profile image0

Okay hopefully you guys don't think I am being irresponsible but I cannot get to a store, its far and I don't have a car to get there. And the other woman in the house with a car is also sick.

SO on hand I have Arizona green tea, Capri Sun, Water, Seltzer water and green tea (bags). 

I have some bread, graham crackers and roman noodle. 

I am sorta afraid to give my kid the capri sun but she wont drink the regular water or seltzer water so I figure maybe I can give her the Arizona green tea because it is sweet and she might go for it.

Other than that maybe I could go with bread instead of crackers????

2. archdaw profile image59
      archdawposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree home made if possible.  Chicken soup has penisilin that is good to help your body's blood cell fight off the attack!!!

3. heart4theword profile image60
    heart4thewordposted 14 years ago

Saltine crackers, sipping on 7-up, sipping water to not get dehydrated.  Of worse when they can chicken or vegetable broth, and chicken noodle soup.  I'm sure you've heard this before.

Also just a reminder, have them gargle with warm salt water, and chewing vitamin C.

4. Rehma Jamshed profile image61
    Rehma Jamshedposted 14 years ago

In the east, children and elders drink green tea especially for indigestion problems. Believe me, it works miracles.

If you dont have green tea, a few drop of lemon in a little warm water will help in flushing out whatever is causing it.

Hope they all get well soon. Take care of yourself.

1. profile image0

That sounds doable.  Should I add sugar or no?

5. profile image0
    Janettaposted 14 years ago

I give my boys saltine crackers and very closely monitor liquids. Often too much on the stomach will induce vomiting. We try to wait it out as long as we can before adding in too mush solid food. A few sips of clear liquid every 20 mins or so for the first few hours. Once he seems to have the vomiting under control, I would introduce a few saltines. Water can make them vomit more so you may want to stick to Sprite or popsicles. Ice is ok (i don't see why but a nurse told us that one) Gatorade is better. Pedialyte is also good for the little ones IF you can get them to drink it. Once they stop throwing up, I let my guys have whatever food they feel like eating, excluding anything with too much grease or dairy. Milk plus fever equals nasty mess for mom later! Hope your family feels better soon!!

1. profile image0

Thanks, good tips. smile

6. jenblacksheep profile image68

I actually heard once that drink flat Coke or Lemonade is good for lining the stomach and stopping you throw up. I've never tested it, but it's sposed to work!

1. Patty Inglish, MS profile image91
      Patty Inglish, MSposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Coca Cola worked for me when I once had food poisoning. Mint or ginger tea also sometimes works on the upset stomach.

Hope they all get better soon, Sandra.

7. profile image50
    buffalo wingposted 14 years ago

refer to "BRAT" diet--bananas--rice--applesauce--toast--bland foods--google it for more info

1. profile image0
      Janettaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My grandma swears by this but I couldn't remember the name!

8. Mighty Mom profile image78
    Mighty Momposted 14 years ago

Hi Sandra,
    Two sick at once. That's gotta be tough.
    All good advice here. Small sips of Sprite or Gingerale (ginger is another spice that's good for the stomach) if they can tolerate it.
    Don't force any solid food until they feel like they can eat again.
    For the poopy part, the old BRAT recipe works well:Bananas Rice Applesauce Toast (or Tea -- I've heard both ways).
    YES to adding sugar or honey!

My sister (who is a nurse) just went through this with her 5th grader. It lasted 5 days and he lost 11 lbs. She found that out when he had to weigh in for football. She knew he was better when he asked to go get something to eat. His choice? A weiner and a vanilla shake!

If you're worried about dehydration take your little one to the ER and have them put him on fluids.
    Good luck and know we love ya! MM

1. profile image0

Thanks MM for answering my questions so I am off to catch more vomit if need be.  Been a fun morning so far and everything smells like puke.

Can't wait for my turn. sad  Hopefully it will skip right over me but it seems inevitable since no one has been able to escape. lol

Thanks again.

9. jenblacksheep profile image68

I was in Florida a few years ago and I got really sick. I was really ill and for days all I ate was tortilla chips and watermelon! really random!

1. profile image0

too funny! smile

10. dustin56 profile image59
    dustin56posted 14 years ago

Hi, When your family gets sick, and even when they are not sick, especially in these times where swine flu is becoming the new Spanish influenza you need to feed your children plenty of anti-oxidants. Make your family shakes that incorporate thin skinned berries such as blueberries, strawberries, blackberries, raspberries. Even throw them in with some meals. Thin skinned berries are loaded with antioxidants. Another great anti-oxidant that takes an undeserved back seat is cinnamon. Cinnamon is one of the most powerful anti-oxidants you will find. I personally train and work in a call center so i am around people everywhere i go, yet i am the only one around me that seems to be perfectly fine. I thank anti-oxidants for that. I write health articles, if you wish to know more about eating healthy just subscribe to me, i love hearing questions as well and would be glad to help anyone out.

11. Oldskool903 profile image61
    Oldskool903posted 14 years ago

Potatoes or brown rice for carbohydrates so your their body has the energy to heal muscles and get rid of the virus.
    Always make sure they are hydrated so force them to drink water or if they want soda make sure it is flat.
    And make sure they are fed, the more they are not fed the more they will throw up unless their stomachs are totally empty. throwing up is a sign of dehydration, unless it is a virus effecting their body. Which in this case it is, but you don't want two problems happening at the same time, dehydration and a virus. So make sure they are fed, the more vitamins they are getting the better off they are.
    Chicken soup is a great idea, it will support the water issue and keep them full.

12. IzzyM profile image86
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

I just read this thread, and I was about to say to you to give them sips of fluids - any fluid but preferrably water, and nothing else.
    When the stomach is upset to that degree, it just needs a rest.
    BUT it is vital to keep the fluid levels up to prevent dehydration which is a killer.
    Anyway I didn't say it because I noticed the thread was two months old LOL

13. profile image0
    L. Andrew Marrposted 14 years ago

Chicken Soup is always a good bet.

Also, define 'poop-peeing'? I'm intrigued as to what it is tongue

lol

14. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Food no!  Fluids yes!

15. profile image0
    Madame Xposted 14 years ago

homemade chicken or turkey broth. I hope they feel better soon smile

16. bodybychocolates profile image40
    bodybychocolatesposted 14 years ago

Hi

with something like this I would first get some characoal as it will absorb all that stuff and still the stomach.  You can get it at any fred meyers or health stores like huckle berry's

Next I would keep the food really simple Fruits are the easiest for digestion and herb teas are great.  Like pepperment and other stomach soothing type of teas.

Fruit soup is great just use the fruit you like and put in pot warm it up you can choose to thicken it or leave as is.

17. bodybychocolates profile image40
    bodybychocolatesposted 14 years ago

Hi

with something like this I would first get some characoal as it will absorb all that stuff and still the stomach.  You can get it at any fred meyers or health stores like huckle berry's

Next I would keep the food really simple Fruits are the easiest for digestion and herb teas are great.  Like pepperment and other stomach soothing type of teas.

Fruit soup is great just use the fruit you like and put in pot warm it up you can choose to thicken it or leave as is.

18. flread45 profile image58
    flread45posted 14 years ago

Ah yes!!Blackberry Jam on toast and Chicken Broth with water only..
    24 hours and all is normal..

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)