American Health Care Debate

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (23 posts)
  1. TimTurner profile image70
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

Andrew, thats the problem with Obama's plan...it's not free.

We would still pay for insurance.  It's not a universal plan like in Europe.

17 million Americans still won't have medical coverage with Obama's plan.

If Obama wanted to make it universal and raise our taxes to get it, I'm all for it.  But that's not the plan.

Obama's plan and what you guys have in Europe are no where near the same.

We would still have to make monthly payments for insurance.  If you are one of the 17 million without insurance, then you don't get medical coverage.

2. TimTurner profile image70
    TimTurnerposted 14 years ago

And Obama has promised not to raise taxes on the middle class to pay for it.  None of it makes sense.

$900 billion is a ton of money but no new taxes.  Hmmmm....

1. Pr0metheus profile image58
      Pr0metheusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He'll probably raise them for the upper class...

Either way this post is ridiculous.  No health care is free.

TimTurnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, taxes are looked upon differently in Europe.  I lived in Germany for 3 years and they are taxed like crazy but no one ever complains because of the things they get out of it that seem "free."

In Germany, there are no TV commercials because everyone pays a flat monthly tax to pay for the stations.  You can't option out of the tax.  Everyone just pays it and everyone has "free", commercial-free TV.

No one complains.

You could never do that in the U.S.

1. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
          Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Why would you even want to? roll

1. Pr0metheus profile image58
            Pr0metheusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Seriously....  Commercials give me pee breaks, and when I don't want to watch them I've got TiVo.

Nothing worth having in life is free, but we can attempt to minimize the costs.

2. profile image56
            Rosa Bergerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because in America we pay high cable fees and have to be bothered by commercials. It should be one or the other, but not both.

2. ledefensetech profile image68
          ledefensetechposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just because the Germans have been duped into believing you can get something for "free" that doesn't mean we have to get taken in by the same nonsense.  Oh, by the way, when was the last time you saw a German syndicated show playing on stations around the world?  When was the last time you saw American syndicated shows playing on stations around the world?  I wonder why there is a difference?

TimTurnerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Whoa Whoa Whoa....I was explaining why the original poster (Andrew, who's English) was using the term "free."

Europeans are taxed and everything is included so it seems like it's "free" to them.

That was my point!

1. ledefensetech profile image68

That wasn't necessarily an attack against you.  I just wanted to illustrate the difference in quality you get when you have something that is subsidized or run by the government versus those run by the free market.

2. Sufidreamer profile image78
            Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because it's in German?

Actually, we do get some here, with subtitles.

Maybe the BBC is a better example - plenty of syndicated shows. smile

Sure, but I think the BBC is somewhat influenced by the free market.  I'll have to look into it more, I suppose.

1. Sufidreamer profile image78
                Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Paid for by license fees.

I think that some of the problem is that English speakers are not very keen on subtitles or dubbing. Greeks are brought up with it, so it comes naturally to them - with a few notable exceptions, Greek TV is pretty dire anyway big_smile

3. Jeffrey Neal profile image68
    Jeffrey Nealposted 14 years ago

Just a correction:  Paying higher taxes to get government provided healthcare = not free.  You ARE paying for it.  I don't think any of those countries you listed have *free* healthcare.

This is the problem with the debate in the US, is too many people think it is going to be free.  Either you pay for care as needed, and get insurance for the big stuff, or you agree to pay much higher taxes to fund a plan (the proposed plan doesn't even claim to cover everyone).

No having the cake and eating to.

Employer-based coverage and the thinking that we need first-dollar coverage is the reason this is so complicated and why it's not likely to be easily fixed, no matter what gets passed. 

I don't buy insurance for my car to put gas in it or for flat tire repair, it is for the big accidents.  Heath insurance, in my opinion, should be the same.

Thank you, someone else who gets it.  It's about supply and demand.  There are way too many barriers to entry as concerns the health field in this country.  From limiting the number of doctors who can practice to giving drug companies monopolies, healthcare providers get a sweetheart deal from federal and state governments.  Before we continue to screw things up even more, we might want to consider getting rid of most of the red tape first.

4. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Occasionally, the commercials are better than the show!

During the Superbowl maybe.

5. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Gotta love the Aflac commercials.

6. Rochelle Frank profile image90
    Rochelle Frankposted 14 years ago

This whole discussion reminds me of a comic strip from "The Wizard of Id".
    A royal official comes to announce to the people that the king has decided that housing, food, utilities and medical care will be free to everyone. Furthermore-- everyone will have a job.
    One of the peasants asks: "Why do we need jobs?"

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)