Is the wife to submit to the husband?

Jump to Last Post 1-22 of 22 discussions (47 posts)
  1. profile image0
    mdawson17posted 14 years ago

Oh how many times I have gotten into trouble for my wife thinking that I had the mindset that she was to submit to me!

I am wondering how many hubbers think that it is bibical that the wife is to submit to their husband!

Or is it bibical for true submision?

1. Jerami profile image58
      Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A wife should submit to her husband
         And a husband is to submit to his wife
         That is the only way that they can truly become one
         If they do not submit to each other then it can not be equal.
         As humans one will be geting over on the other unless they both submit.   
          I don't know but I think that is right. sounds good.

1. profile image0
        SirDentposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Very good answer and so true.

2. starme77 profile image77
      starme77posted 14 years agoin reply to this

The bible - if it says that is totally whacked - see the men, should be totally submissive to the women and thats a fact jack smile

3. Daniel Carter profile image62
      Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Love is about both sides submitting to each other. If you believe what Christ taught, love supercedes all other edicts and laws.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image63
        prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree to this one, to listen  (compromise) and to respect each other....is a sign of LOVE

2. profile image0
        mdawson17posted 14 years agoin reply to this

This was very well said and should be the basic principal of true Christiananity!

4. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

and the husband is to love his wife as his own body.

1. profile image0
        poetlorraineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes of course and he would only ever be kind to himself, would he not.......

5. profile image0
      poetlorraineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

what religion is she if you don't mind my asking

2. profile image0
    mdawson17posted 14 years ago

I have to say you are very right both should submit however many men feel the they have been given the higher authority in the marriage. I believe that this kind of thinking is what destroys many marriages and lives.

What do you think Sirdent?

1. profile image0

Any time there is no submission between a man and his wife, there is no trust. What is the point of marrying someone you don't trust?

The word submission in the context of the scripture it is written means the condition of being submissive, humble, or compliant Too many think about the husband bossing the wife around telling her everything to do or vice versa.

1. profile image0

Thank You Sirdent

3. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

Both should submit to each other; however when an em pass occurs one or the other should have that one percent veto power. In my house that should be the man. That being said it is also written that ... it is a wise man that CAN keep his wife happy.

1. profile image0

You have again said a very wise and true proverbs Jerami!!

4. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

no women should submit to any man, under any circumstances.

with that said- relationships should be built on equal footing otherwise they won't last.

1. profile image0

You are very right acting like you are the most powerful in a relatioship will only get you to be the most powerful alone and by yourself

very well said Cagsil

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

haha lol big_smile

I agree - well said.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thank you very much cosette.

5. Jerami profile image58
    Jeramiposted 14 years ago

this depends upon the definition of submit.
       It can be a bad thing and yet
        It can be a good thing.

6. AEvans profile image71
    AEvansposted 14 years ago

So the argument begins , should a woman submit to their husbands and should a man submit to their wives? Both should submit to each other one is not better then the next. If a man gives then she should also recieve and vice versa, just my opinion.smile

As for my google it is being a pain in my batooty!

1. profile image0

The Google still is not being Submissive (LOL) Yes I agree their should be a mutual submission! When asked this question in my calling I answer it like this:

Not one person is better than the other, regardless of sexuality! Both were placed in an honor in a bond and commitment between each other and God! God being first, the only one the wife should be submissive to is God and never to man! We are sinful people and therefore no better than the other!

For a wife to submit to husband than we are saying wife submit to an idol! God says worship no other God before me!

A marriage is equaly yoked when one cannot the other should! When one is weak and tired the other should be strong and bold!

EVENLY YOKED

1. AEvans profile image71
        AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Uh Huh! Now that is completely clear smile

1. profile image0

See I do not mind being put in my place from time to time (LOL) "HE-BREWS"

1. profile image0

All in fun Evenly yoked and evenly fair!!! LOL I hope you google gets itself under controll!!

7. Shalini Kagal profile image54
    Shalini Kagalposted 14 years ago

I agree SirDent - nowhere does it say that a husband should make a wife obey him - it has to come from the wife. The husband in return, has to cherish his wife. One just goes with the other and it really does make for harmony. I doubt if a home like any other place can have two bosses smile

8. Lady_E profile image63
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Totally agree with Jerami and AEvans - both man and wife should submit to each other.

9. fatfist profile image63
    fatfistposted 14 years ago

But the bible and Jesus are not about equality between man and woman, they are solely about the stimulation and satisfaction of the man!
    Why is everybody re-writing religion to suit their needs? You can't just violate the eternal nature of god when you feel like it.

1. profile image0

And you know this how?

2. aguasilver profile image70
      aguasilverposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I wonder why?

10. profile image0
    bloodnlatexposted 14 years ago

Usually it costs an extra $45 to get them to be submissive.

11. ionerice profile image59
    ionericeposted 14 years ago

Starme77 said: <<<<The bible - if it says that is totally whacked>>>>

Eph 5:22
    Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.

Col 3:18
    Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as it is fit in the Lord.

12. aguasilver profile image70
    aguasilverposted 14 years ago

Scripture tells us that when we marry we become one, however God seems to have decided that the man is responsible for whatever the two do in marriage.

God holds the man responsible, and wherever there is responsibility, there must be authority also.

So in the situation where there is dissension between the man and his wife, ultimately it is the man's responsibility to answer to God IF they do the wrong thing.

Too many men are weak and quite happy to relegate their 'responsibility' to their strong wives. They are in error and doubly responsible for any error that occurs.

A word of caution;

A wise man will think very seriously BEFORE exercising his authority in a conflict situation.

Men operate by logic - women operate by emotion - together they balance and are able to make the right decisions.

A great marriage advice set of dvd's are 'Love & Respect' and if we all sat down and saw these, divorce would decline rapidly and marriages would work better.

The basic premise is that men NEED respect, i.e. we are hardwired to need respect, and if it is not given to us by our wives, we stop showing them love.

Women on the other hand NEED love, and likewise if they do not feel that men are showing love to them, they lose respect for their husbands.

Obviously if this happens in both parts of the marriage, it breaks down.

He does not show love, so she does not show respect and ad infinitum until one of them snaps.

Equally when it works fine, things improve.

She show him respect, and he shows her love and the whole thing spirals to new heights.

It works.

1. Valerie F profile image60
      Valerie Fposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This sounds like the "common knowledge" in the 1950's that women didn't think at all- which I THINK is a stinking pile of manure. Yes, I may happen to be wired differently from a man on account of being a woman. That does not mean I operate without logic just because I happen to be a woman, nor does it mean that men operate by logic rather than emotion.

Ephesians 5 says that husbands and wives are to submit to each other. The Bible also commands that men do NOT lord their status over their wives and children, but love their wives as Christ loved the Church. What did Christ do? Demand the blind obedience of servants, or become a servant himself?

2. Song-Bird profile image68
      Song-Birdposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well said!

13. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

A wife should submit to a righteous husband. That said, I think most women would gladly submit to a kind and considerate husband that treats her with respect and showers her with love.

14. Ivorwen profile image65
    Ivorwenposted 14 years ago

Ephesians 5, to Christians
    i.e. if you are not a Christian, this has nothing to do with you:

21:  Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.
    22:  Wives, submit yourselves unto your own husbands, as unto the Lord.
    25:  Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
    28:  So ought men to love their wives as their own bodies. ...

Yes, a wife should submit and obey her husband, unless he is asking her to sin.  Her allegiance comes to God before man.

My question to you, mdawson17, are you loving your wife and Christ loved the Church and as you love your own body?

1. profile image0

To answer your question: never do I question my love for wife or does my wife question her love for me! In the aspect of Ephesians 5 I believe what Ephesians 5 also says

Ephesians 5:25-33

25Husbands, love your wives, just as Christ loved the church and gave himself up for her

26to make her holy, cleansing her by the washing with water through the word, 27and to present her to himself as a radiant church, without stain or wrinkle or any other blemish, but holy and blameless.

28In this same way, husbands ought to love their wives as their own bodies. He who loves his wife loves himself. 29After all, no one ever hated his own body, but he feeds and cares for it, just as Christ does the church—

30for we are members of his body.

31"For this reason a man will leave his father and mother and be united to his wife, and the two will become one flesh."

32This is a profound mystery—but I am talking about Christ and the church.

33However, each one of you also must love his wife as he loves himself, and the wife must respect her husband

1 Peter 3:5-6

5For this is the way the holy women of the past who put their hope in God used to make themselves beautiful. They were submissive to their own husbands,

6like Sarah, who obeyed Abraham and called him her master. You are her daughters if you do what is right and do not give way to fear.

1 Corinthians 11:3

3Now I want you to realize that the head of every man is Christ, and the head of the woman is man, and the head of Christ is God.

Never have I questioned my love for my wife! Yes I do believe that it is holy that woman and man are equal and should be treated as just that “equal” The bible does say that we are evenly yoked! That husbands and wives are to submit equally I believe that the act of submission is done in many different ways though!

1. Ivorwen profile image65
        Ivorwenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

In your original post you said that your wife often thinks you have a mindset that thinks she should submit to you.  If you belive the Bible as it is written, then you do. 

You say that you don't question your love for her and she doesn't question her love for you.  Okay, but what does that have to do with submission?  Maybe a better question would be does she know that you love her beyond a shadow of a doubt, because of your actions toward her?

Many men to claim to love their wives with out question.  They go to work and work hard every day, to prove it.  They think that because they have provided a home and shelter they have proved their love.  The wife is grateful for what her husband provides, and she too works hard to make life smooth, filling in the gaps that he is not able to cover, yet feels unloved, because he is too busy to listen and talk to her.  A woman in that situation often feels very alone and on guard.  When one feels on guard, it is hard to submit, without knowing that someone else is going on duty.

15. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Be aware of what's required to make a relationship work?

TRUST!

COMMUNICATION!

HONESTY!

This all starts with you being honest with yourself, about what you want out of relationship.

Nowhere is respect required as a part of a relationship. If you respect yourself, then you'll respect your partner. If you're honest with your partner, you trust your partner and you communicate openly with your partner- respect is a given, because it's earned through the other three.

16. ionerice profile image59
    ionericeposted 14 years ago

According to the bible there is neither MALE OR FEMALE when it come down to serving Gawd.

Ga 3:28
    There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

17. rebekahELLE profile image85
    rebekahELLEposted 14 years ago

both should equally respect each other. smile

love= respect.

18. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 14 years ago

Pfft, I'd rather remain single than submit to a man. I believe in equality in relationships/marriage and if for some reason there was an imbalance in the relationship, I definitely would not be the submissive one.

But, I've been in a relationship with a man quite passive and submissive no matter how much I tried to get him to make some decisions with me or himself...it really was bad. I learned from that and definitely strive to be equal in friendships, romance, family,etc. Makes life easier and better.

The Bible is patriarchal so mainly it will preach about female submission--one of its aspects I loathe.

19. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

You can't expect sweeping generalizations about the Bible being "patriarchal" to stand against Biblical quotes calling for mutual submission.

20. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

did Jesus have to submit to his father?

21. Valerie F profile image60
    Valerie Fposted 14 years ago

Jesus submitted to washing the feet of his disciples, taking on the role of a servant. Jesus submitted even to death on a cross as an act of self-sacrifice for us. And he had a great deal about the greatest being the least, the last coming first, the meek and humble being blessed, and so forth.

22. torimari profile image67
    torimariposted 14 years ago

Yes, I know the Bible  contradicts itself talking about mutual submission and female submission...but after 12 years at Catholic school and reading that danged thing it is largely patriarchal and encourages male dominance. big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)