Ever felt used by your friend?????

Jump to Last Post 1-21 of 21 discussions (37 posts)
  1. izzy_giggles profile image60
    izzy_gigglesposted 14 years ago

Ok, so co-worker/friend calls me, asking me to let him borrow $500 and supposedly he would give me the money back next week, I seriously do not know what to tell him....I feel so bad because his my friend, but I really dont trust him with that kind of money, he already owes me money....So I dont know what to tell him sad

1. Pr0metheus profile image59
      Pr0metheusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Tell him this

"No"

2. profile image0
      Poppa Bluesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Never do business with frineds. If you are going to lend him money put the terms in writing so you can sue him in small claims court if he stiffs you. Caution, even a win in small claims court will not guarantee you will get your money, but at least you'll have something in writing and you'll be able to receive a judgement.

By the way, your instinct is almost never wrong. Trust your feelings!

3. Jane@CM profile image61
      Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

NO!

4. profile image53
      jennie quillenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

you tell him no! surely he cant need it for that important of a reason? you cant let your 'friend' treat you like that! $500 is a lot and you cannot be expected to hand it over just like that. ask him what he needs that kind of money for so suddenly anyway,
      but something else you need to ask yourself is,
      is he really THAT good your friend? how can you be good friends with someone you dont trust? and if your not that close friends, then there is no way he can expect you just to hand over money like that. if i were you i tell him you simply just cant hand over that.
          good luck!

5. ediggity profile image61
      ediggityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If you know you are going to cave, because you just cant say no, get some collateral.  Or, if he really needs the money, and you have it, just give it to him and be done.

6. Ushamani profile image59
      Ushamaniposted 14 years agoin reply to this

"Never borrow never lend if you wanna keep a friend."This is the ultimate truth and you follow this to avoid headaches and heartaches in the future

7. profile image49
      Chicago773posted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah i have felt used b4 the shit hurtz

8. travisboyhottie profile image59
      travisboyhottieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I FEEL EVERYONE USES EACH OTHER  TO MAKE THIS SO CALLED LIFE BE IN QUOTE " FRIENDLY" BUT IF SOMEONE YOU CONSIDER YOUR FRIEND NEEDSYOUR HELP YOU SHOULD BE ALL THAT FRIEND IS AND TOUGH LOVE TO SWEAT CARING FOR THEM.

9. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

neither a borrower nor a lender be.

trite-sounding, i know, but it is good advice. many a personal relationship has been strained, or ruined, by lending people money, or even things. which is why i don't do it and everyone who knows me pretty much knows i am like that, so they don't even ask anymore. i have given relatives a lot of money in the past and they never paid me back and it hurt or ruined our relationships.

just say 'gosh, i feel bad but you know i don't lend people money because it just causes too much of a strain on friendships. but i will always be here if you need a shoulder to cry on' or something like that.

10. Putz Ballard profile image60
      Putz Ballardposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sounds to me like you handled this one perfectly.

11. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You must do what you feel is necessary for yourself and leave him to do the same. If he needs to borrow money, then it is obvious- he is already irresponsible with the money he makes.

So, that should give you a clear idea about whether or not, you are going to get your money back.

The REASON he gives you shouldn't good enough to break your understanding of his irresponsible actions with money.

So, I leave you with that. Hope I helped.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Don't lend money to friends or co-workers smile

3. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 14 years ago

lend money to friends...... end of friendship

4. izzy_giggles profile image60

I feel so horrible, his going to come in at 3:30 and I know his going to be bugging me about the money, I guess I'll just have to ignore him

1. Pr0metheus profile image59
      Pr0metheusposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If he bugs you tell him to leave you alone.  If he won't stop, tell your boss.  Harassment is no joke.

5. akirchner profile image92
    akirchnerposted 14 years ago

I make it a policy never to lend money to friends or family - bad policy - it never works!  On the other hand, there are always users and the used....it is a cycle of life and the trick is figuring it out before it happens.  If you don't, then making a "note to self" - do not do that again!  It is tough though in a world where folks are all about themselves, you try and reach out, you try and be kind....sometimes it just backfires because I think some folks just like the game of seeing how much they can get away with!

6. Daniel Carter profile image62
    Daniel Carterposted 14 years ago

Wow. He already owes you money and he's asking for more. How red is that flag??
    Just be honest. Tell him you have no reason to trust him because he still owes *YOU* money.

Hope he doesn't harass you.

7. profile image0
    sneakorocksolidposted 14 years ago

If you're going to loan money just give it to him don't expect it back. If you can't afford to give it to him then the answer is no. Look you work hard for your money and it's not easy to come by if he was a real friend he wouldn't ask, I'm afraid he may think your easy.

8. zadrobi profile image61
    zadrobiposted 14 years ago

I just want to know how he is going to pay you back $500 dollars next week. Is he going to use the money to buy/sell/front drugs and give you back your portion of the return?
    Maybe the drug dealing scenario is extreme...
    I would ask him what he needs it for and act concerned and tell him you want to help but you don't have that kind of money "just lying around".

Then ask him for your money yikes

9. Stacie L profile image88
    Stacie Lposted 14 years ago

don't do it...
    you'll never see the money or that person again...as a friend at least hmm

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hear!Hear!

10. profile image0
    A Texanposted 14 years ago

Can I borrow 50 big_smile

11. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Izzy, now is a good time to learn the power of no.  If you can't say no, just tell him that you don't have it because you bought something that was so expensive. Yeah, that's it.. lie. It's more convenient.

12. donotfear profile image84
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

Best to say NO.  I had this happen to me and the person didn't pay me back for 3 years, then, out of the blue, contacted me with a huge sob story bla blah blah. I didn't beieve a word of it. I got the money back, but didn't get the interest I was promised.

13. hudsonj1994 profile image60
    hudsonj1994posted 14 years ago

Yeah it has happened to me several times!

14. NaomiR profile image75
    NaomiRposted 14 years ago

Don't do it. $500 is a LOT of money to ask someone for.

15. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

he owed you still money,right? well you know him well now, tell him honestly that you cant lend him the money and if he asked the reason then tell him again...BIG NO..

16. izzy_giggles profile image60

So after 2 days, he finally came up to me and asked if I was going to do it, and this is what I said

"sorry _____, but im not going to be able to do it, nothing personal, but I have my own issues to deal with, but I still love you...as a friend big_smile"

whew, i feel so proud of myself....I know, I know I should have just said no from the beginning, but I just cant say no to friends...Thanks a bunch guys big_smile

1. profile image0
      Stevennix2001posted 14 years agoin reply to this

wow, good job.  im glad to see that your friend didn't take advantage of you this time.

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

oh haha...you solved your dilemma. good job!

17. Fugitive From Now profile image61
    Fugitive From Nowposted 14 years ago

I loaned, what I thought was, a friend of mine 50 bucks.  Then I never seen him again.  I thought that was cheap to get ride of someone that wasn't my friend.  But $500 is too much.

18. dreamer32 profile image68
    dreamer32posted 14 years ago

yes, I have felt used by a friend!In contrast, What bothers me is when someone asks questions and they going telling your business to another person just after you tell them not do it at all. I had people to do me like that! Even if I told them little something about me! Too, That person go tell anyway! True friends don't abuse sacrifice, if that person was a true friend. They would be a blessing to you, not be a person that abuses sacrficing for you! Some people do abuse sarcifice from other people! Come check out my article I written

http://hubpages.com/hub/Fake-friends-or … difference

19. Luciendasky profile image60
    Luciendaskyposted 14 years ago

my dad always said to only lend people money is you are willing to give it to them, because you may never see it again...

HOWEVER, if your co-worker already owes you money, don't lend him anymore... at least until he has repaid you. I lent a friend 300 once because of an emergency situation... I knew her well, knew she valued our friendship, and trusted her to pay me back BUT I also decided she was dear enough to me that I would still be friends with her if she didn't pay me back.

She paid me back.

20. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

My theory has always been if I lend money I assume I will not get it back. 

Not on purpose but for other reasons unknown to me.

So I only lend money when I can afford to spare it myself.  If it is returned It's a bonus, otherwise, water under the bridge.

Note; I do not however let people know this to be taken advantage of. 

Ooops, guess I just did hmm: big_smile

1. Cagsil profile image70
      Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol

21. fishtiger58 profile image69
    fishtiger58posted 14 years ago

I don't lend money to friends because I am uncomfortable asking for it back.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)