Sound mind or sound body: Which is better?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (9 posts)
  1. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

My dad shot himself at the age of 85. He was in terrible physical condition and experienced much pain, but his mind was as sharp as a tack. My mom was just the opposite - good physical condition, but she had advanced Alzheimer's.

If you had to choose one, which would it be?

1. profile image0
      Pacal Votanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

No, you have no choice. You usually get the combination of these traits. So you'll be in good physical condition and as sharp as a tack. wink

2. profile image0
    Linton Pressposted 14 years ago

Habee,
    That's very sad about your Dad. Yet Alzheimers is the big fear for many.
    I think if you can keep fit then there's a good chance you'll also have an active mind through a good cardiovascular system - including oxygen to the brain!! :-)
    But many are not blessed with good health and I very much value mine above all material stuff.
    I do distance running and when I am off the road injured I stagnate, so I know what that is telling me!
    I hope you are very well, very happy - and keep those brainwaves whirring away!
    Best regards,
    Dave West

3. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Thanks, Dave, for the warm wishes!

I think I would choose a sound mind. At least Dad had a lifetime of memories to enjoy.

4. profile image0
    Justine76posted 14 years ago

Im sorry to hear all that Habee. That must be hard on you.
    I knew a man, I visited him once a week in a nursing home when I was a teenager. He'd had a stroke. He was fully there, in his mind, but his body would not respond. He couldnt talk, or move. He would sit in his chair, and weep. Unable to do anything he used to do. He was a farmer, used to being out in the field all day. Working with his hands. Now all he could do is sit usless in a wheel chair. My Grandmother had dementia. She was blissfully unaware that she had lost her mind. She would sometimes have bad days, bite and not know her children, but she never remebered it. It was far harder on us then her. SOOO if I HAD to pick one, I would rather loose my mind and not know it, then loose my body and know. But only if I knew it would not cause loved ones to suffer for my sake.

5. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

I understand what you're saying, Justine, and I agree, in part. The hardest time for Mom was when she was in the early-mid stages. She knew what was happening to her, and she was terrified. I remember her asking me many times to tell her about Dad. "I know your father and I were married for a long time, and surely we had a lot of good times together. But I can't remember a single thing about him. It's as if someone stole my life away - like it never happened."

That was heartbreaking!

In her last stage of the disease, she was happy.

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is heartbreaking. I hope neither happens to me. I am looking at very soon having my mother move in with me. I did not mean to sound callous in any way. (typing is not the same as face to face, ya know?)What I meant is, selfishly I would prefer to not know whats going on. BUT I know how awful it is for familly to watch thier loved ones ....dissapear..and I do hope I wont do that to my familly.
      Again, I am truly sorry for all you have been thru.

6. habee profile image92
    habeeposted 14 years ago

Justine, I in no way thought your response was callous! On the contrary - I found it warm and thoughtful.

Your mom is moving in with you? We lived with my mom for a couple of years to forestall her having to go to assisted living. Email me if you ever want to talk to someone who's been there.

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

thank you, I most likely will. I need to get going here, in a sec.
      My mom isnt moving in right away, but I see some warning signs and hubby and I have begun to prepare. Its a very complicated situation, as we are not close at all, she cant stand me, and has done some horrible stuff to me, but...my sisters wont do it.she is my mom, and I do love her...anyway...glad all is good and thanks again. catch ya later!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)