Does anyone here have an aquarium?

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (19 posts)
  1. spranto profile image64
    sprantoposted 15 years ago

Since I love fish, I would like to share some experiences among hubbers. Anyone here?

1. VioletSun profile image80
      VioletSunposted 15 years agoin reply to this

We have an aquarium with three large gold fish in the living room, one died about two weeks ago. They are funny, one spits at my mate when he approaches to feed them or clean the tank, and  another throws the rocks around.

2. thranax profile image72
    thranaxposted 15 years ago

I have a fish pond outside smile It has goldfish and Japanese Koi.

3. Mark Knowles profile image58
    Mark Knowlesposted 15 years ago

I had a 12 ft x 4 ft x 4 ft tropical marine tank once - nightmare to keep. smile

4. Stay at Home Dad profile image71
    Stay at Home Dadposted 15 years ago

I have had and kept aquariums for the past 20+ years.  I have had as many as 5 going at one time, both salt water and fresh, but I am down to one 110 gallon fresh water tank at this time.  Is there anything I can do to help?

1. profile image0
      Zarm Nefilinposted 15 years agoin reply to this

I have once wanted to catch a small largemouth bass and put it in an aquarium and feed it nightcrawlers.  I wanted to do this hoping it would grow big and fat so that one day I could cook it smile.

haha j/k

big_smile

On a serious note I once had an aquarium with two fish and an algea eater.  That algea eater was always sucking on the side of the tank!

big_smile

Eventually I want to get another aquarium and stock it.

1. Stay at Home Dad profile image71
        Stay at Home Dadposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Fish are great pets!  My little ones love them, too.  If you want any tips on setting up your new aquarium I would be happy to help.  Not only have I had tanks for a long time, I have also worked at a couple of pet stores. smile

1. B.T. Evilpants profile image60
          B.T. Evilpantsposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Fish are also very relaxing to watch. I have spent hours, after a stressful day, just watching them swim around.

5. Mark Knowles profile image58

No. But thanks.

The problem was the quality of water I had available to me. I was living in the Midlands in England. The fish I chose to keep were just too sensitive to metals in the water. I sold it years ago. sad After my favorite fish died. A Picasso trigger fish (called Pablo lol) He would swim up to the side of the tank and let me pick him out of the water to be petted. I was devastated when he died and sold it.

I love Picasso Triggers. I would be devastated, too. I went back to fresh water when my yellow tang died.

6. Mark Knowles profile image58

I know it sounds silly, but I loved that fish. He had personality. He would come up to the glass and make a clicking noise when he wanted feeding.

I even paid a vet for an autopsy. sad

It's not silly, at all. Many of my fish have personalities. Some of them follow me when I walk by the tank. I had a plecco that reached 14 inches over the course of 10 years. He always seemed to know when it was time to be fed.

2. thranax profile image72
      thranaxposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Awww thats so sad sad Yeah, I know how it is, i lost Arrowshot, my biggest (and fastest) Koi. That one would take so long to catch when I had to clean the tanks and pond. He didn't die from stress, he didn't die from the water -.- the smart fishy jumped out of the pond, into the corner of the net (bird+cat protection) went into the floppy part and locked itself in the corner. Found him out lying there dead T_T

7. Stay at Home Dad profile image71
    Stay at Home Dadposted 15 years ago

My 110 was a salt tank up until the summer of 2002 when I moved from Illinois down to Georgia.  I had moved my salt fish once before, but it was a huge burden and I lost a very expensive french angel in the process.  I had had her 5 years and raised her from a 1 1/2 inch juvenile to a 6 inch mature adult.  She was one of the most beautiful fish I had ever had.  I didn't want to chance losing any more, so I sold all of my fish and brought the tank dry.

I've never had a picasso trigger, but I had a niger and humma humma for a long time.  I also had a queen trigger for a few weeks, but she started beating up and trying to eat EVERY fish I had, so she was promptly returned.  Tangs and puffers were my favorites, and I had a really cool spotted box for a long time.

I plan to switch back to salt someday- probably after the irridescent shark I have had 6 years passes.  Either that, or I will have to purchase a seperate tank for him. smile

How big is your iridescent? Mine got to 18 inches before he died, but I hear they can grow in excess of 2 feet.

1. Stay at Home Dad profile image71
        Stay at Home Dadposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Mine is only 8 inches at the moment, but my tank is only 5 feet long and he has a good deal of competiton for food.  Since you have kept irridescents, you probably know they do best in pairs.  The companion to the one I have now died last fall.  I quickly bought a replacement, but he was about 3-4 inches smaller than the survivor.  I was amazed at how fast the new shark grew.  He is almost the same size as my older one, but I have only had him about 9 months.  I'll post some pictures soon...

8. Mark Knowles profile image58

The only problem I had like that was a leopard grouper. One of the biggest mistakes in my fish-keeping life. It was around 3 inches long when I bought it and within a matter of weeks was about 4 times the size and eating everything in sight smile

Catching the damn thing was great fun. It eventually hid in a large shell I had in the tank, and I had to take the shell out with him in it.

My biggest mistake was a single snail ( I was young and stupid). In a matter of hours, it coated my entire tank in egg filled slime-sacks. Worst cleanup I ever had to do.

1. wychic profile image85
        wychicposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Your problem was just introducing the wrong type of snail smile, a lot of people don't realize just how fast pest snails reproduce and they are extremely difficult to get out of the tank once they're there. If you want something that's really easy to control the population get brigs (sold as "mystery snails" in most stores), they grow to about the size of a golf ball and lay their eggs above the water in easily noticeable clusters, if you don't want more simply scrape it off and toss them back into the tank for the critters to eat or flush it (or wrap it in a wet paper towel and sell it on Aquabid).

Yes, I have aquariums...only 19 at the moment but hopefully next summer my fish house will be complete so I can drastically expand operations big_smile. I only have a couple of fish-related hubs so far but working on getting more and I LOVE to talk about them!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)