What would we blame for our actions if we didn't have 'beliefs'?

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (60 posts)
  1. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I am just wondering what we would blame for our destructive actions if we did not have religion v atheism v other religions to blame? For that matter what excuses would we make up for going to war and other acts of killing if we did not have the whole religion issue to fuel our destructive natures?

Is it possible that humans would be able to take responsibility for the destructive part of our nature? Could we be honest about our desire to be superior to others?

1. TMMason profile image61
      TMMasonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Most likely, the lack of a belief system. And I am not so sure wanting to be, "Superior", is inherrant. That seems to infer we are all racists, or something close to that.

We all have a bad side, and we must learn to control it regardless of if we have a system of beliefs or not. So?

2. Rod Marsden profile image66
      Rod Marsdenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think John Lennon had the answer and he was killed because he had the answer.

3. tantrum profile image59
      tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Atheists don't blame any God for their actions. We don't need that. We're fully responsible of our actions and its consequences.

2. Sufidreamer profile image76
    Sufidreamerposted 14 years ago

hehe - A bit of peace.

Only an opinion, but I believe that any society under threat tends to polarise, whether it be religion, politics or other ideology. Once people occupy the extremes, there is little room for compromise and that is a dangerous path smile

1. profile image0
      EmpressFelicityposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yeah. What he said LOL. 

The trouble with ideology of any kind is that it encourages people to adopt an end-justifies-the-means attitude.  Thus you have Simon de Montfort slaughtering the Cathars while saying "Kill them all - God will know his own", or Stalin and Hitler engaging in mass murder/genocide because they thought it was justified in the light of their particular ideology.  It's the same impulse in both cases, and transcends the question of religion/atheism.

1. Sa Toya profile image83
        Sa Toyaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is so true. If destruction is based on the belief in religion etc. Then without it we would blame our lack of belief in religion etc.

And nicely put- the same impulse does apply to both

Sufidreamerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Agreed - ideology is fine as long as you are prepared to accept that humanity is much more complex than placing people into a little box. I work upon the principle that I know nothing and disbelieve anything that the media portrays as truth, at least until I have verified it for myself.

I have friends who are staunchly Orthodox Christian and friends that are Atheists - both 'sides' get along wonderfully and have interesting and deep philosophical debates. They are always prepared to look at the other view and use it to challenge their own beliefs, making adjustments to their world-view, if necessary smile

I stay away from blind extremism - it makes for a much happier life, IMO smile

2. kirstenblog profile image78
      kirstenblogposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I kinda think we would find something to blame for our fighting hmm
      My video games are better then your video games and I will fight you to prove it!
      Sci-fi is better then Rom-coms and I will go to war to prove it! Mwhahaha

1. Sufidreamer profile image76

I like sci-fi, but that should not get in the way of a good fight wink

Sci-fi games are the tool of satan or something big_smile

Shall we start the church of Sci-fi video games? We can then break up into smaller sects that worship role play sci fi games and first person shooter sci fi games etc. then go to war over which is best. lol

3. Sa Toya profile image83
    Sa Toyaposted 14 years ago

Ha we just might be able to admit the we choose to mess things up because we like being the best at things.

Maybe it's human nature or nurture that many of us have a superiority complex.

We seem to polarise or form cliques from early ages-school/high school. It's all a damn joke but this learned behaviour means we divide and try to conquer or destroy.

I think religion/beliefs are used as excuses to create havoc. Without it all we have is the above I guess, our need to flock with birds of a feather....who knows

hmm

4. kess profile image59
    kessposted 14 years ago

Men are self seeking by nature,
    And anythings can be the reason for their wickedness.

For those who serve the same God right against each other as well as the atheist and those who serve different Gods.

5. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

I always blame Sufi when I screw up wink

Sadly, 'tis true - everything is my fault.

I am to blame for the world economic crisis, too. If only I had drunk less Ouzo before sharing a cigar with Bill Clinton, things may have been different. sad

1. Uninvited Writer profile image77
        Uninvited Writerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Damn you! lol

Not quite everything - Paris Hilton is nothing to do with me big_smile

Thats probably very wise Misha wink tongue

It works for my missus - everything is my fault big_smile

Now, submit to the Church of the Holy Third Person Sci-Fi Gamists or die mad

1. Cagsil profile image70
            Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hey Sufi, I think we got a convert!

And, who do you plan to convert? To what are they converting to? Also, how much will it cost to be 'saved'? big_smile

Please do tell?  smile

Just give us all of your worldly possessions, for 'purification' purposes. in return, we will give you a large and knobbly stick of smiting to deliver divine justice to all of those foul first-person gamists smile

Oh, I see....you're one of "those" kinds of extremists? roll

Well, interesting to see. lol lol

Now you see the deception in his words! A knobbly stick! Come to my gaming church and I will give you this!

I shall reveal this great infidel! Submit to him and this is your reward!

You're just jealous because I have more followers than you, O unclean one. You are the Jah-Jah Binks of Sci-Fi religions big_smile

http://listverse.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/jarjar2-tm.jpg?w=350&h=284

The real Kirstenblog big_smile

6. Uninvited Writer profile image77
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

I'm all for taking personal responsibility for everything you do.

7. Aya Katz profile image84
    Aya Katzposted 14 years ago

If it weren't for people at the extremes, how would anybody know where the middle is?

8. Sufidreamer profile image76

Tell him to send all of his money to the usual place so that he can be truly saved big_smile

I am liking this, the usual place being my bank account right lol tongue

That's too funny!

OI!!!! - it is supposed to be to my bank account.

Looks like we have our first schism big_smile

To all true followers, beware this man for he is truly the anti-gaming-3rd person- sci fier! Mine is the only true word of the gaming gods! Make no mistake, sending this demon your money will damn your soul to game over hell! You have been warned!

(you can make all checks payable to kirstenblog, the only true gaming messiah)

roll lol lol

Book of Bollox 4:19 Trust not the temptress, however cuddly the avatar, for she will lead you astray and make you partake of the forbidden M&Ms

4:20 All eternity will be spent in sci-fi hell, otherwise known as a Star-Trek convention.

That was cool and funny. cool

Beware Cagsil you risk losing your immortal gaming soul! Return to the flock my son

9. ncmonroe1981 profile image61
    ncmonroe1981posted 14 years ago

Isn't it a bit limited to suppose that simply because someone maintains a belief system, they are unable to (or don't) take responsibility for their own actions?

My belief system happens to include personal responsibility. *shrug* I don't know about anyone else's.

I can see that a belief system can incorporate the lesson of taking responsibility for our actions and I have a lot of respect for individuals who do incorporate this as a part of their beliefs big_smile

I do not respect when people use their beliefs to avoid responsibility and I sadly see it happen often hmm

1. ncmonroe1981 profile image61
        ncmonroe1981posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I can second that kirstin:) There does seem to be a lot of lack of responsibility going around these days.

Ya think? roll lol lol

10. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Hey Kirsten,

Did you happen to start this thread after reading my Hub? lol

11. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Sometimes I wonder what this world is coming to?

12. kirstenblog profile image78
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

This has been fun but I suspect it would be easier to make a buck by writing a hub!

That might be true? lol

13. Sufidreamer profile image76

Likewise - It has been fun but it is my turn to cook, so I had better make a start.

Have fun and be good...big_smile

Hope you are enjoying a nice dinner smile We shall have to be silly on the forums again sometime. I really shoulda been working on my hub lol roll

Lovely Spinach and Rice, thanks - being silly was great fun but, sadly, it made much more sense than many of the other posts smile

Silliness usually does make the most sense to me tongue

2. Cagsil profile image70

That's true enough. lol

14. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

ourselves.

15. prettydarkhorse profile image62
    prettydarkhorseposted 14 years ago

People acts in general or behave not because of cultural influences like religion or value system, but they act accordingly because they like it, the reasons can be obscure, sometimes because of anticipated blessings they get from the act, or they just act selfishly because they love themselves, eevrybody loves themselves,,,,,thats why when you interact with other people you try to show your best, or the true you, or not the true you...

so in short blame yourself, not others,,,,HEHE

16. profile image0
    Stevennix2001posted 14 years ago

that's very hard to say as nobody really knows what would happen if we didn't have religion in our lives.  i guess the world might be like it was at the beginning of the film, "invention of lying."  however, even that's up to interpretation as well. 

i know statistically speaking, there would be a lot less wars and death counts as it's already proven religion is the number one reason for war.

however, the problem with humanity is we're all idiots, period.  even if we didn't have religion, that still wouldn't cure other factors that cause us to lash out and discriminate.  there would still be rape, murder, and stealing, as those having nothing to do with religion.  although, there are some that use that an excuse though.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)