Unfinished hub

Jump to Last Post 1-5 of 5 discussions (8 posts)
  1. apace profile image61
    apaceposted 14 years ago

I started my first hub today, but realised I need to go back to the guide to review before continuing.

Is there anyway I can delete a hub as I have only put in the title and there is no content thus far?

2. profile image0
    lynnechandlerposted 14 years ago

Go back into edit mode and unpublish.

3. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

When you go to the Hub, at the top there is things you can click on, such as edit, delete, stats and start a new hub.

You can click on the delete link and it will automatically bring you into edit mode. Since the Hub isn't published, you can simply hit done editing.

This will delete the Hub.

But, I'm curious, why you want to delete it?  Is it not a topic you want to write about?

I mean, I ask, because the URL is already locked in, as yours. So, writing the hub is not really a problem. You can always go back to it, later on, if you want to.

Just a thought. smile

1. apace profile image61
      apaceposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks both for your help smile

I am not 'relatively' new here, but only in the sense that I havn't really done anything.

@lynnechandler - thanks for that. I couldn't find it. Maybe I was panicking.

@Cagsil - thanks Cagsil. I appreciate your encouragement. I guess it is a topic I want to write about, as I know a little about it, and I think it would be useful.

There are two issues.

1. I read the hubguide a while ago re: how to build a good hub, and procrastinated. Therefore it isn't fresh in my memory. I know content is important but I tend to spend too long on trying to condense content. I am not going to be writing a novel, although I am used to writing in essay style. I want it to be conversational and written in a user friendly manner.

2. I saw that it was flagged as at risk of deletion, for lacking in content or something to that effect, and thought it was best practice to delete it if I end up spending 2 weeks writing it (hopefully not!!!).  I guess you don't gain any advantage from letting it sit there but it does sit on the space someone else might want to use.

I think I am procrastinating and just might have to do it. If I create a hubpage that is pedestrian then so be it. You have to start somewhere.

Otherwise I will never start. For instance in the meantime I created two very very ordinary squidoo lenses. But I was just experimenting.

Once I get my affiliate link from ebay and amazon linked to that squidoo page (on a completely different topic) do I then use the same affiliate link details on hubpages even if it is for a different website page? Sorry to have to ask these questions. I have tried to ask ebay and amazon directly.

When posting on squidoo I realised that they don't allow amazon affiliate links anymore. They only allow you to use the amazon module. My impression was it was kind of a settlement between them and google to stop people using squidoo to manipulate google and play SEO games, although I am not quite sure. I guess having the module makes it so people can't play the games google was slapping them for. I thought, that like hubpages, squidoo is a place to start, for people who are new to this or for niches.

1. Christene profile image61
        Christeneposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Sure they do.
        Where did you hear otherwise?

4. Dame Scribe profile image57
    Dame Scribeposted 14 years ago

When you think you're goin to have a 'novel' length hub smile write down key points then condense. I find it's easier that way to edit altogether rather than write everything than snip here n there n all over tongue smile maybe write a few paragraphs to keep the point of the hub fresh, then save it for working on it later. smile there is no big rush.

1. apace profile image61
      apaceposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for your encouragement and perspective DameScribe. smile I have a problem with being overinclusive. Your method is one that I have put into place really well with toastmasters speeches condensing what are large bodies of knowledge into six minute spaces. Something must have worked, as I got best speech awards and last year's annual improved toastmaster award. Yet I was at an all time low in my life during this time in terms of confidence!! So that proves that I can use the same method you speak of to get the structure and content right hopefully. smile You have given me confidence smile When you are lacking in it, you tend to forget the redeeming things and focus on the negative (bad habit I am trying to break). I am glad I have the option of leaving it unpublished until that time comes.

@wyanjin - thanks, appreciate your advice about not being too concerned about quality in a first hub. Of course I can go back and edit it after it's been published. It is a matter of balance, which sounds trite, but there are always trade-offs. Nobody wants to read an essay, but you don't want to provide incomplete information either. Its great to have an 'Extreme Hub Makeover' tool. I like peer review. It makes everyone the best they can be. smile

Thanks kindly again

5. wyanjen profile image70
    wyanjenposted 14 years ago

No need to delete. It's fine to leave it unpublished.
    Once you have the URL set, it belongs to you - it's not taking up anybody else's space smile

Your affiliates will work here. Just enter the info on your account page.

It sounds to me like you are ready to jump in! Don't be TOO concerned about your quality in your first hub. You can always go back and edit it after it's been published.

If you want input about your hub once it is finished and published, go ahead and post it in Extreme Hub Makeover.

good luck smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)