Hubber Art4Life bracing for dangerous storm! Please remember her!

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (27 posts)
  1. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

Please remember our friend Art4Life!  Folks, we've got a potentially bad weather situation forming out there. I'm sure there are others bracing for the storm across the lower mid south, OK,TX,AR....scheduled to hit tonight.  The problem is, Art4Life lives in the Arkansas Ozarks, extreme NW Arkansas. She and her hubby are totally isolated, as many who live in the area. They actually live on top of a mountain.  Last year they had no electricity for 18 days.  She reports they lived like Daniel Boone during that time, drawing water from the well with a hand bucket.

They are locally predicting several inches of ice with lots of snow to follow and expecting extreme power outages. What worries me is not only the danger of falling trees,etc. It's the isolation. Art4Life is extremely upset about the approaching storm, dreading the worst. She is becoming very depressed.

Please, if you believe in God, a Higher Power or just light a candle for her, please remember her and her hubby (Jan & Stu). She has power right now, but tomorrow will tell for sure. Thank you guys, I told her I would post this.

1. profile image0
      Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

at least they know its coming, that can help...fill bottles with water, stock up on batteries, get a bunch of food that doesnt require cooking...etc. Where I live bad weather/roads and power outages due to ice, wind, snow etc are common. About 11 years ago we had an unexpected ice storm last for days....no one was prepared...power was out for weeks! it stinks, but hppefully they have time to gather what they need. good luck art4life!!! remember, all storms end.  smile

2. readytoescape profile image61
      readytoescapeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Pass on our best hopes for survival. I’ve been thru more than a few Hurricanes and know exactly what its like.

Have her check out by hub on “emergency power” it might help them out. If you want the link I'll post it, but there is a direct link on my profile page.

2. Cagsil profile image71
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Good Luck, Best Wishes and Be Safe! smile

donotfearposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks Cags...I'll relay the message to her. She's gonna try to get online tonight before they lose power.

1. Cagsil profile image71
        Cagsilposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You're welcome as well as her and her family. smile

3. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

Not to be rude, but if that kind of weather is known to happen there regularly (as your post implies) - why not to install a gas/diesel power generator and satellite internet? The problem of isolation goes away, and no prayers necessary smile

They have a generator...more than one. But gas runs out and it can't be run constantly.  Not everyone can get a satellite.  This kinda weather only happens once in a blue moon. Ozarks are used to snow, but not like this. Mega ice snow.

1. Misha profile image64
        Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well, best of luck to them - and if this happens a second year in a row may be it's time to think about implementing some preventive measures smile

2. Art 4 Life profile image61
      Art 4 Lifeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Hi Misha, We had a bad ice storm last winter, but havent had one like that in this area for the last 100 yrs. or so the weather people say... So, it is not a common thing. And this storm this year, is a fluke of nature, especially to have 2 ice storms in 2 yrs... We do get snow, and power outages, thus the need for a generator, and we have 2 on hand at all times... But, with ice storms you get fallen trees, broken power lines, power poles, damage to livestock, people and homes....last year, it sounded like a war outside with the trees busting up and falling over, almost like gun shots.... We had alot of damage, to both livestock and our home, and it took us 4 hrs of tree clearing and chainsawing to get out of the driveway to the main highway, and then the highway was blocked by fallen trees.... There are no preventive measures unless you just want to move to another state. It's like someone living in an earthquake zone, how do you prepare for that, or a tornado or a hurricane? We have supplies/food/water, in case of emergenies such as this....how else can you prepare?

3. utu profile image59
      utuposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I kinda sympathise, but like you, Misha if I was going to dwell in a remote location, I would have all the things, like generators,  and be totally stocked with all my fav. food Water  Communications, heaps of Magazines, and not have any of the trees around my House.  Hang on I live like that. half the year.

4. Flightkeeper profile image67
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

Good luck Art4Life. I hope you stay warm and dry.

5. profile image0
    ralwusposted 14 years ago

Best of luck Art. We just met, so you will be fine. I like your writing girl.

1. Art 4 Life profile image61

well thank ya Ralwus, my cuz.....we will be just fine...all the animals are bedded down, fed, watered, & I  have round burmuda bales out....got plenty of wood for the stove, got kerosene, water, food and lamp oil......what more could you need....water is gravity flow into the house, from the mountain spring.....being raised in the country like you were,  you know weather related things,  just comes with the territory. You pay a price for living in beauty, and weather can be unpredictable, no one can predict what the future holds....but I would not give it up for anything.
      They can say, take out the trees around your barn and home, but living on the mountain, if you take out the trees, you cause erosion, (there is no level ground here),......erosion would strip the vital top soil from the land , and your job when living here, is to love the land, and to take care of it, to treat it like family......you know what I mean.....ice melt on a mountain driveway, would be a waste of good ice melt...LOL....that is what river rock is for.... besides, what if it got in the creek from the run off........I freaked out for alittle while, thinking about last year's ice storm, and the hardships..... But, one thing about this area...all the neighbors get out and help each other when times get bad. If your barn burns, they all get together and build a new one, ( as long as you get a keg or two, and throw a fat pig in a good fire pit) if you are sick, they all get together and help you tend your livestock, if an ice storm comes, and you have damage, we all gather up what we need and help each other. Such is the country life. People care here....so you're right, we will be just fine. Just another day in the Ozarks....you have to take the good with the bad, and living here is good, I love the mountains....and it's people.....

6. Misha profile image64
    Mishaposted 14 years ago

First - best of luck to you again, as I said already smile

I am not sure if I would have done it after the last winter - considering your climate - but if this happens this winter again you have a good chances of seeing the same in the winters to come. All global warming talks aside, I ve read the temps actually are going down for the last several years, so we are heading towards ice age if anything.

As Utu said, I would have cleaned the vicinity of the house and barn from trees that can damage them if fallen. I would probably get a bigger fuel tank, to have enough fuel for say a couple of weeks or may be even more. Stock up on sand and salt to clean the road from ice.

I would get a bigger and better chainsaw to speed up the cleanups, and may be even a tractor if you don't have one - but since you are talking about livestock chances are you have a tractor already - use it to clean the road. And I assume your heating is oil or gas, not electricity. If not, then it has to be changed to oil or gas.

In other words, anything that gave you problems during this weather needs to be taken care of, sometimes in creative ways smile

Oh, and satellite internet, if you want to stay online smile

Good luck with all that stuff, too smile

7. donotfear profile image83
    donotfearposted 14 years ago

Update!!!    Looks like they are prepared pretty well this time. I've been there, I know what it's like. Cars away from trees, etc. Fill up the tub with water...etc etc. They got plenty to do for sure. Now she's trying to get me to drive up and go through it with em! HA! I would if I could, but gotta work. Art4LIfe is in a much better frame of mind this morning, may I say. Hehehehe.....ask her who's keeping her company.

...I am currently keeping company with my friend, Jack Daniels, and Coca Cola......seems like a good time to get to know him a bit better...all the work and preparations are done, just waiting for the storm to begin...LOL...might as well relax and take it easy...I do have some liquid refreshment ( courtesy of my neighbor) in a canning jar, but I am gonna use it to start my fire if it goes out...LOL
      Well...I may not be here for afew days....I'll write a hub on it all when it's over....ya'll come and read it.
      Thanks for all the concerns, it means alot....this is a good group of people out here on the hubpages....

Way to go sister!!!  You may need a designated driver...it'll take me 5 1/2 hours to get there, plus I gotta call in sick for a number of days ahead. I'd need to leave within the hour to get there while I can still get up your freakin driveway! (GrandCanyon).  Such a typical response from the hatchet lady...love ya sis!  Wish I could come up there and ride it out with ya!  YOu are insane!

you arent going to make it now....dont try and drive up here. We are getting freezing rain now....gotta get off line and shut it down...take care sis...love ya....see ya

Oh no! Well, we can still text...hope her cell phone is charged up...

2. profile image0
          Justine76posted 14 years agoin reply to this

good attitude!!! prepare best you can and hold on...you will survive, and think of the stories youll have!! its way better to prepare, rather than worry. i really DO know a thing or two about winter weather....  smile

8. The Rope profile image61
    The Ropeposted 14 years ago

Best of Luck Art!  Here's hoping your pen and paper (remember those?) are laid out ready to chronical these times for us.

Absolutely Rope!  I've been encouraging her to write about this whole thing. She's gonna make it fine..we are sending I.M. as I write this. She's too cool NOT to share this..

9. profile image0
    Crazdwriterposted 14 years ago

I'll be thinking about you Art! I hope that everything goes well for you, your family, and everyone else having to face the weather! *HUGS* and PRAYERS with lots of added POSTIVE THINKING! smile

10. theirishobserver. profile image60
    theirishobserver.posted 14 years ago

wishing you well out there smile

11. profile image0
    Nelle Hoxieposted 14 years ago

If you can let us know how you are as soon as the storm passes. You'll be in my thoughts. It sounds like you live in a pretty special place.

Nelle, theirishobserver, the rope,Crazdwriter,  Misha, flightkeeper, utu, caigsil, Ralwus, and my bud, donotfear....and everyone else that posted, thank you for your thoughts, prayers, and concerns....
      ...I do live in a special place....we may be 50 yrs behind the times, but it's a good life....I'll post as soon as the storm passes. Thanks for thinking of me.....outta here*******poof

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)