The kidnapping of Haiti?

Jump to Last Post 1-6 of 6 discussions (24 posts)
  1. sannyasinman profile image58
    sannyasinmanposted 14 years ago

The airport in the capital, Port-au-Prince, is now an American military base and relief flights have been re-routed to the Dominican Republic. All flights stopped for three hours for the arrival of Hillary Clinton. Critically injured Haitians waited unaided as 800 American residents in Haiti were fed, watered and evacuated. Six days passed before the US Air Force dropped bottled water to people suffering thirst and dehydration.

Has the US now effectively invaded and occupied Haiti?

http://www.johnpilger.com/page.asp?partid=564

1. profile image0
      sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well if your opinion is a shared one then we should pull out and never offer help to anyone ever again. We need to look after Americans first let the self-righteous world community(clowns in bikinis) fend for themselves! No more tax dollars for the ungrateful!

1. tantrum profile image61
        tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

HelP???
        For profit.
        c'mon sneak! You know !

1. profile image0
          sneakorocksolidposted 14 years agoin reply to this

What our government does is not always a reflection of what we as a people believe. We believe we are there to help if thats not the case we need to get out.

2. sannyasinman profile image58
        sannyasinmanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

This is not my opinion, it is a direct quote from the article linked to below. Did you read the article?

Please do, it's worth a read. John Pilger is one of the few remaining "real" journalists in the world today who actually tries to report what he sees, and not what he is told to report. 

2. Misha profile image64
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am afraid that might be a case...

3. AEvans profile image71
      AEvansposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I am amazed that a thread like this was started, I had a thread asking why we gave money to HAITI and here is the recourse that you are writing about. Whenever our government gives money to assist there are always others who are ungrateful and complain. Where were the Haitians when the levys broke in Louisiana our own people were stranded, dead, starving, we certainly were not ungrateful when others came to our aide. I don't believe they have invaded or occupied Haiti they are only there to assist and figured that was one place that could set up shop where all people knew where they were.

2. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

USA is not going .
    Nor from Irak, Afgsnistan, Haiti, and everywhere.
    Too much profit.
    I know a lot of Americans know this is wrong. But what can they do about it  ?
    I'm talking  about USA as a whole.
    It's your country. It represents you.

3. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

I thought that Pilger's account was silly and I don't consider him a journalist because of so many emotional overtones in that "report".

4. Greg Cremia profile image59
    Greg Cremiaposted 14 years ago

Can anyone tell me what there is in Haiti that we Americans want?

The US controls Haiti’s sugar, bauxite and sisal. Among other things
      Go and Google!
      I'm not  your secretary.

1. Greg Cremia profile image59
        Greg Cremiaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

According to google the only bauxite mine in Haiti closed in 1989. Sisal is used to make twine and dartboards and coffee is grown everywhere around the world. Their biggest export is actually human babies.

We give them $260,000,000 a year in charity, buy their coffee, buy their sisal and adopt their babies.

So you are saying the US is invading Haiti for it's twine and coffee?

Why don't you dig deeper?
          I'm not going to argue about USA policies.
          You should know better.

I just asked a question.

and I answered you ,even it wasn't directed to me.
              Maybe itakins' has a better answer.
              I hope so !

This is what John Pilger says about the US invasion and occupation of Haiti . .
          A direct quote from his article . .   

"Oil was found in Haiti’s waters decades ago and the US has kept it in reserve until the Middle East begins to run dry. More urgently, an occupied Haiti has a strategic importance in Washington’s “rollback” plans for Latin America. The goal is the overthrow of the popular democracies in Venezuela, Bolivia and Ecuador, control of Venezuela’s abundant oil reserves and sabotage of the growing regional cooperation that has given millions their first taste of an economic and social justice long denied by US-sponsored regimes".

If you take the time to read the full article it will answer more of your questions. You might not agree, but at least you will see a point of view that you will NEVER see in the mainstream media, whose "journalists" all report what they are told to report.

The only reference I have been able to find about oil in Haiti is from one article written 25 years ago by a french writer who had nothing to do with the oil industry. The john pilger article and all the other articles similar to this all reference the same outdated article.

Why isn't the Dominican Republic tapping that oil if it is really there?

Oil company execs do not make decisions to benefit someone else 25 years later. They make decisions to benefit themselves right now.

If oil was there it would be coming out of the ground by now from Chinese oil wells and being loaded into Chinese oil tankers for the trip to China or the states.

1. sannyasinman profile image58

Big Oil Behind the Haiti Quake? Article . . .
              http://www.americanfreepress.net/html/h … __210.html

Oil and political control in the area, amongst other things. It's all explained in the article below:

3. itakins profile image71
      itakinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Slaves to run their sweatshops-also-oil-sugar etc etc.

5. MikeNV profile image67
    MikeNVposted 14 years ago

The United Nations, World Bank, and IMF operate exactly this way.  The Earthquake is a tragedy for the people of Haiti and an opportunity for the Private Bankers.

"Giving" is the guise.  The United States has been pumping Haiti to the tune of $260 million per year.  So they are in effect taking control now and the Haiti people will have no say.  It's a take it or leave it.

The United States is not taking Haiti on behalf of Hatians or the United States... they are taking it for the people behind the scenes at the United Nations.

People don't realize that Obama is a very big player in the United Nations.  His position puts him at odds with his Presidency.  Plain and simple conflict of interests - you can not serve two masters.

"President Obama will also make history by becoming the first U.S. president to chair a meeting of the council."

The New World Order is in "Play".

Because the Bankers own the Media this type of insight (In Linked Article) seldom if ever hits mainstream and when it does it's always demonized.

This is a good article, thanks for the post.

6. mel22 profile image60
    mel22posted 14 years ago

Why does America have to go in drop bottled water to Haitans in the first place with FEMA. I never saw Haitians coptering in water for Katrina victims. Maybe the Haitian ppl should get together and build their own foundation called HEMA! No, they don't .. They just sit there for Years waiting for americans to show them how to build emergency organizations..... The reason Americans go in and drop ANY bottled water is because its the right thing to do... but somebody will always blame Americans for not holding their hand....

America should not have to show other nations ,ten years into the millenium how to be a civilized nation... it should be inherent... if its not ... to bad so sad! We try as much as they can 2 help! Someone will always whine!

lol
      Typical

2. itakins profile image71
      itakinsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

mel22
      With respect-,If you had any idea about the abject poverty to which the Haitian people are subjected,through no fault of their own,you might reconsider this remark.
      This poverty existed long before the earthquake-these people have been deprived of even the most basic human rights-a situation brought about by corrupt amoral people  i.e. their own government in cahoots with other politicians.
      The US doesn't bring civilisation anywhere-many countries from around the world -who are in a position to do so-help restore human rights when they have been 'stolen' from people.
      Some countries do this as an act of charity-helping ones neighbour! Others do it with the intention of ultimately gaining far more than they give-sadly this is how the US functions.
      Remember there are 43million homeless in the US-how come no one has rescued them?-well perhaps they have nothing to gain!!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)