friggin english professor

Jump to Last Post 1-16 of 16 discussions (45 posts)
  1. kbowlingtiger profile image59
    kbowlingtigerposted 14 years ago

WHY MUST ENGLISH PROFESSORS BE SO HARSH ABOUT PAPERS?!

1. Sab Oh profile image56
      Sab Ohposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A) That's there job

B) It makes them feel important

C) They hate you

kbowlingtigerposted 14 years agoin reply to this

well my professor has the mindset that if what you write is not what she believes then you fail!

A lot of them have that mindset.

2. profile image0
          Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Is she a liberal? smile

i dunno

99% chance

3. Jane@CM profile image61
          Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

My literature professor was the same way, if you didn't write the paper in the same way HE interpreted the book - too bad for you!

1. profile image0
            Madame Xposted 14 years agoin reply to this

These people have no business being "teachers"

4. megs78 profile image61
          megs78posted 14 years agoin reply to this

A lot of teachers are bitter, bored, annoyed and/or stressed to the max, and thats when things get ugly.  I had a philosophy prof who failed my every exam because I took things from a point of view he could not accept.  Nothing like being objective eh?  And the worse part was that I had taken those exams to a reputable english prof after and he told me that apart from my views, which in philosophy, should be ok, my grammar, style, flow, etc was really good.  So I knew it was personal.  sucks, because I paid 10,000 dollars to go to university and I just scraped by that class which brought my average WAY down.  Sorry to hear youre having trouble.

2. 1974 profile image67
        1974posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Oh the irony in that reply......

Anyway, I agree with Daniel.  Just give the prof what they want and be done with it.  If it is an issue you feel strongly about, go talk to your Dean, that is what they are there for.

3. mega1 profile image78
        mega1posted 14 years agoin reply to this

THEIR job!   lol

2. profile image0
      cosetteposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i agree with other posters, they want you to succeed, and will call you out for the smallest minutia. she is challenging you to think and to express yourself eloquently with the written word. don't take it personally. some of the best teachers i had were the ones who pushed me hardest!

3. kbowlingtiger profile image59

Ok thanks for everyone's advice! :-) I had a meeting with her today and she was truly AMAZING! She helped me with the whole paper and I saw the light shining in her eyes. I didn't mean to sound harsh. I honestly like her. She really is a great person! :-)

4. pjfbncyl profile image40
      pjfbncylposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Im going to be teaching a professor to blog, Blog (dot) AidenBreen (dot) com he teaches Latin. Have you noticed all web templates are in Latin? Should be fun. btw its TheYearOfTheTiger (dot) net. Its my feel good site. inlocoparentheses.wordpress.com might help

5. profile image0
      LegendaryHeroposted 14 years agoin reply to this

*Shrugs* Such is college. Luckily I'm in engineering and I got dual credits so I could get out of college english completely.

2. Uninvited Writer profile image78
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

Because they are trying to teach people and want them to put their best forward.

3. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

My daughter hated her calc4 teacher last semester.  They like to weed people out as early as possible!

4. peptalk profile image60
    peptalkposted 14 years ago

People beat them up when they were in school.

5. Haunty profile image74
    Hauntyposted 14 years ago

You could possibly read this hub to know how your professors perceive the world. Also, it's pretty straightforward on how to be a good student.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/good-student

thx. I'll check that out :-)

1. Daniel Carter profile image62
        Daniel Carterposted 14 years agoin reply to this

If she's really that petty, then play her game and win by writing the most technically correct papers that you can. If she calls you out about your opinion, tell her that it's your understanding that you are being graded for technical quality and content, not for your opinion.

But believe me, if you have an axe to grind with her, you better write perfect papers. The easier route is do everything the way she wants it, and put your own opinions aside.

hahah exactly. I have learned that in order to pass I better just do what she likes... I have a meeting with her today so I'm going to pay careful attention to what she says about my essay. :-)

1. Haunty profile image74
            Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You can have the upper hand her by giving her what she wants. It won't change you. smile

6. TLMinut profile image60
    TLMinutposted 14 years ago

QUOTE: well my professor has the mindset that if what you write is not what she believes then you fail!

The kids in my son's class had to write a utopia paper; the teacher didn't like one boy's ideas and so she failed him for it! And she's apparently super feminist so no one is allowed to have any other opinion. This is a teacher?

Ahh exactly!!! That's what happens. She'll asks questions in class and before we even utter a word, she starts talking, stating her opinion. She basically failed me because what I wrote was not how she likes it. What she says is the "truth" and everyone else's opinions are WRONG.

And yes, this is a teacher.... Well, a college professor. So I can't complain about her. I must face it and deal with it. Sad, I know...

7. confused barbie profile image57
    confused barbieposted 14 years ago

They just want to push you to do your best. 9/10 are like that its just life!

8. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

Because most of them are anal retentive mamma's boys who couldn't get a job doing anything else.

hahahhahahaahahh that's funny :-) i'll keep that in mind.

1. tobey100 profile image60
        tobey100posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I'm serious.  My uncle Harris is an English Prof. and he fits the bill to a tee.

2. Haunty profile image74
      Hauntyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Ok. But there are some that start teaching after they have proved themselves in life.

College professors? Not many.

9. livewithrichard profile image72
    livewithrichardposted 14 years ago

Well it seems that you have identified the problem and now are equipped with the knowledge to remedy your problem.  It's just one semester so write what she wants you to write whether you agree with it or not.  Next semester, choose another Prof's class.

If you are focusing too much on the content of what you are writing you lose focus on the structure of the way it is written.  Maybe this is what she is trying to teach you.

10. Shadesbreath profile image78
    Shadesbreathposted 14 years ago

Often a professor's criticism FEELS like they are bashing on you for standing against them, but in my experience, it's usually more a matter of the paper having not made the case it is trying to.

English professors, the good ones anyway (I'd have to read the paper and the critique in question to comment directly), are grading the paper on the rhetorical choices made.  If fallacies are being employed, if argumentative structure is unsound in any way, not to mention various stylistic and grammatical concerns, the paper and its arguments are rejected.

Students often take this as a sign that, say, a liberal professor has rejected a conservative argument (or vice versa), on principle.  I've looked at many papers that the authors from both left and right wings have claimed received biased grading and found the arguments to be unsound and the prof's comments in the margins saying as much, but the student just refused to believe it.  It just HAD to be a political F or D rather than a deserved one. 

(sigh)

11. Jane@CM profile image61
    Jane@CMposted 14 years ago

My daughter is a technical writer - black & white - not to many of her college (or HS teachers) English professors liked her writing style.  She went and talked to them and explained she is technical, majoring in a technical field and she actually got through to most of them, but not all.

1. profile image0
      china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Risking anal retention - a degree or whatever will be for the ability to write - of which technical writing is just one aspect. If it wasn't then there would be a technical writing degree specifically. Your daughter is not a technical writer at college, she wants to be a technical writer when she has a degree that says she can write.

2. tobey100 profile image60

Good for her.  She obviously knows what she wants.  Other than getting a grade it doesn't matter what the prof thinks about her writing.

1. Jane@CM profile image61
        Jane@CMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

She is thankful, she is done with her college English classes, yes, she has classes that are writing intense, but in a technical sense, except one.  Her Intro to Physician's class does require keeping a journal - but its written her way smile

1. tobey100 profile image60

She sounds like my favorite kind of child.  One with a very good head on her shoulders.  Congrats.

12. profile image0
    Jared in Vegasposted 14 years ago

I was an English major in college and thought the professors were difficult sometimes. When it comes down to it, they're trying to prevent you from writing like a high schooler so you can take your skill to the next level.

13. Teresa McGurk profile image60
    Teresa McGurkposted 14 years ago

It's better to know more, than less.
    It's better to understand your language, than not.
    It's going to make a difference for your career if you can write competently, confidently, and concisely. 
    English really is a beautiful language: cast in Anglo-Saxon, derived through Latin and later French, it's a hybrid, growing, living language that deserves our attention.
    Not very many professors enjoy grading papers, for a variety of reasons: 1) assigning a grade to someone else's efforts, especially when that person has obviously worked hard, is not the best way to encourage learning; 2) most professors want you to do well, and wonder what they are doing wrong when you make the same mistakes again and again; 3) many of your papers suck; 4) most professors understand that high schools have let you all down by omitting English from the curriculum completely (at least, that's how it appears); 5) most professors know that the better you do in English class, the better you will do in your other classes, too.
    Students don't need to suck up to their professors in order to do well, or agree with their professors' every word, or even look interested during class.  What they do need to do, however, is understand what a university is and should be, and the responsibility of each student to herself (and not to anyone else) to take her education seriously.

Of course, some professors are just bitter, twisted bastards. . .

14. profile image0
    Pani Midnyte Odinposted 14 years ago

I think we've all felt that our teachers were unfair to us at one point in our lives. For me, it was my Creative Writing teacher. She was more of a technical writer than a creative writer so I have no idea why she was a Creative Writing teacher. She didn't like my style of writing even though it followed the assignment's guidelines to a T. I got an F in her class so I went to another English teacher and had her rea d my paper. She said she would havegiven me an A. So we held a meeting and they settled on giving me a C+. I transferred into the other teacher's class the following semester and did very well.

15. EnglishChick profile image61
    EnglishChickposted 14 years ago

My suggestion as I have a fabulous literature professo is tell the man or woman that great liturate allows for more than one interpretation. 

On a side note, not all English professors are bad.  But there is always away to figure them out.  I am a literature major with a minor in creative writing myself so believe me I have had my share of negative ones it's a matter of when you do find the right one.  Don't let the bad ones hold you back!

1. Aley Martin profile image67
      Aley Martinposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Interesting posts...

I am an English professor and teach World Literature online. I ask my students to do Creative papers to show their understanding of what they have read. I have seen some of my colleagues who are burnt out  from teaching become very bitter. I am an older woman, but started my teaching 10 years ago and it is my passion! I also continually remain humble by taking courses and learning more and more every day. I know I am unique, and I wonder why there cannot be others who have the same pedagogical approach I utilize. There are all kinds of people in my field, and there is no category to fit us all into.

Do you realize that public education is horrific these days? By the time you get to college, we instructors are dealing (many of us) with students who cannot write above an 8th grade level. And the abysmal lack of critical thinking taught in the lower grades leaves a lot to be desired. There is a propensity to "teach to the test" in public school, and this does not serve the student.

All professors are not "liberal"...they are just well educated and many want their students to "think for themselves". There are many profs who do not allow this, and this is a travesty for the student. But to stereotype and categorize profs is unfair. And I do not mean you 'kbowlingtiger'...I mean some of the other respondents.

Labels are a form of discrimination, and in order not to remain a "victim" you must see your part in the big picture. It seems many people wish to blame others when things are not as they expect. Expectations and entitlement need to be eradicated! If we see ourself as a victim we remain a victim. Please become empowered and grow wise!

My best to all of you on your educational journey's!

16. LadyRavenSkye profile image61
    LadyRavenSkyeposted 14 years ago

I have loved almost every single one of my English teachers 10-12th grades. The teachers were all insanely supportive of my writing style, and one of them who was retiring told me I was the first student he ever had that made him happy he became a teacher. My 11th grade teacher got several poems printed, and my 9th grade teacher got me into writing.
    Going now to university, I had my first English class, and I was disheartened to find that my own professor was more into HIMSELF and his horrible poems than working with the students. If you didn't conform to his liberal ideas, he wanted nothing to do with you or you work. If he did, it was just to belittle you in front of the other students.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)