New requirement for posting Religious topics

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (40 posts)
  1. profile image0
    hamstersmessiahposted 14 years ago

I propose that people who are not publishing hubs and are on the forums solely for the purpose of proseletyzing a particular faith must have a minimum HubAuthor score of at least 50 to post a topic in the Religion and Beliefs section or why not? any forum area.  I am a serious writer and I post on the forums to exchange ideas with writers, not people with other agendas.

1. profile image0
      hamstersmessiahposted 14 years agoin reply to this

this would not shut out the legitimate hubbers who do have something to contribute whether you agree with them or not but keep the religious trolls from being able to start new threads.

2. profile image0
      A Texanposted 14 years agoin reply to this

lol lol lol lol lol

Serious, thats funny!

2. skyfire profile image81
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Hamster, Why so serious ?

1. profile image0

because it's obvious that some people are here not to advance the hubpages community but themselves and they shouldn't be given that opportunity.

1. profile image0

this is a writer's site or am i wrong in assuming this?

3. skyfire profile image81
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Yes Hubpages is writers community. For me, I don't prefer views from the profile which are just for the debate or are just for the agenda of some faith or no-faith. Also fake profiles are there as well just for the sake of forum discussion, i spotted 2 so far. Not sure your idea of 50 or more score will help cause hubscore drops for anyone anytime. But yes, have to look at their hubs content if they're here just for the sake of some agenda or to make offense.

1. profile image0

i'm not saying they can't participate but for Hitler's sake, why let them start new threads?

1. skyfire profile image81
        skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Good point,let's see what HP team thinks about it.

2. profile image0
        Deborah Sextonposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So you don't believe in Freedom of Speech?

4. profile image0
    hamstersmessiahposted 14 years ago

i have no problem with people posting topics about their religious experiences...  it's just under the present system, anybody can set up an account, never publish a single hub, and subject the forum goer to their pathetic attempts to aggrandize their religion.

5. ngureco profile image80
    ngurecoposted 14 years ago

O.k... Supposes they were to ask them to have a minimum HubAuthor score of at least 99 to post a topic in the Religion and Beliefs section?

1. profile image0

50 is a reasonable score that any hubber can maintain if they are trying earnestly to get their message out. no matter how illiterate they are because of socioeconomic background or nationality.  it's really not too much to ask.

1. double_frick profile image62
        double_frickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes, i support this too. smile
        great idea, hamstermessiah. can i call you that? lolz

1. profile image0

just hamster is fine...  i'm not saying shut them out... just keep them from starting threads other than those sincerely asking for help with HP issues.

1. double_frick profile image62
            double_frickposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yes, i agree, there are some i have encountered who had not had any published hubs but were still delightful to chat with. smile

2. profile image0
            china manposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I prefer messiah if that is ok?

Slippery road this one. Those of us who are preparing to follow you into the new millenium, after 2012,13,14,15 or whenever you decide to pull the plug and bring us into the fold of your merciful reality, would have to object.

Also some of the religious threads attract quite a lot of people who cannot write, or spell often and excluding them is to deny free speech.

1. profile image0

all i'm saying is that there needs to be a way to get the people who are not publishing hubs, and maybe that's the key, force them to put their money where their mouth is, to not have the privilege of confronting this community with their self-serving diatribe.

1. profile image0

There is some discussion on other thread about black hatting or something which I understand is people coming onto the forums to get a backlink ? Would some rule that required a hub before posting a new thread in the forums fix that problem to some extent also ?

6. Mark Knowles profile image59
    Mark Knowlesposted 14 years ago

Not a fan of limiting anyone for anything I'm afraid. It is not just religionists pushing their version of the truth. Plenty of Internet marketers use the same technique to promote whatever they are selling.

It is just spam and should be marked as such. In any case - they will just drop reams of bible nonsense into hubs before posting. That last one was here for one reason only. Spam.

1. profile image0

i also said why limit it to religion forums... this abuse goes on elsewhere too i know.

1. Mark Knowles profile image59
        Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Trouble is - everyone starts with a low score. This would also prevent legitimate people from asking questions when they first joined.

Not a big fan of limits like this because the ones it hurts will be the genuine users. The religionists will just go find another site to shout about the LORD!

1. Marisa Wright profile image85
          Marisa Wrightposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I agree, newbies need to be able to post and ask questions.

If there was a way to limit access, so newbies could only post in the "Need Help?" thread until they'd written a Hub or two - I'd vote for that.

7. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I don't like censorship much at all, but as it is a writers site that may save some bandwidth.
    ..... but would they not just cut and past bible quotes or other rubbish and call them hubs?

I do not know one hubber/believer here who is a real hubber with a low score. Look at the moderate forum participants such as habee, AEvans, Valerie, they all have decent hubs and high scores, so it may be possible. We still need to hear from the zealots somehow though, I would rather they project their fantasies here where they can be replied to by sane people than have em run amok somewhere to a more gullible audience. lol

1. profile image0

you may be right there earnest... i just hate to see people take advantage of a system that is so wonderful and maybe it's just the price we have to pay for freedom of expression.

2. profile image0

.... but would they not just cut and past bible quotes or other rubbish and call them hubs?

NO - that is called religion big_smile

8. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

Why not let the market decide ?
    When a thread is declared spam or rubbish proselytism, whatever the subject is, if people ignore it, it should die by itself.
    And tend to disappear in the long term. Or just be restricted to the close circle of those who are "really" interested, thus being relegated to the bottom of time sorted list.

On the other hand, if people dive in it head first to "discuss",
    "debate" or fuss, the thread becomes self justified and floats on top of the time sorted list.

So, one of the reasons those kind of threads exist on first page is because they become "important" with so much demand. Even if you post in it to state how much a nuisance you feel it is, you are making it important therefore justifying its purpose.
    And it floats to top thus gaining in visibility.

1. profile image0

Absolutely. On issue about this though - is if anyone was concerned that these published and accessible words may affect some gullible soul then maybe they would want to put the counter view ?

9. Mamelody profile image60
    Mamelodyposted 14 years ago

dude your avatar scares the bejesus out of me!! lol

But I think you got some valid points there but unfortunately we live in a world were bad guys get away with it all and imposing restrictions really does harm the good guys and the faithful hubbers.

1. profile image0

You mean mine ?

1. Mamelody profile image60
        Mamelodyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

no hamster's

10. profile image0
    zampanoposted 14 years ago

Those who like to protect "gullible" souls, belong to the number of those who might "influence" gullible souls.
    So, they are at home in those threads...
    But then again, we're here to have fun man right ?
    We suppose that all who participate are grown up adults.
    So... if you think they don't know what they're doing, ask forgiveness for them to the Father.
    hehehe

11. tantrum profile image61
    tantrumposted 14 years ago

I am against all type of censorship.
    What you don't like don't read.

1. profile image0

Yep!

2. Mamelody profile image60
      Mamelodyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

yeah am with you on that...

3. profile image0

I agree.

4. Hokey profile image61
      Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

YUP!!!! smile

12. Uninvited Writer profile image79
    Uninvited Writerposted 14 years ago

What you have suggested has been suggested for the forums many times. Hard to just ignore them on days when every other thread is religious. Luckily the ones who are just here to preach and not write are not in the majority, and the ones who do not have an alternate account usually disappear.

1. profile image0

How to stop religious topics from being every other thread.

1. Allow those interested in a topic to speak to each other without others going in to insult. You know, stay out of those threads

2. Start our own threads of interest

1. wyanjen profile image70
        wyanjenposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I always wonder about the threads that are posted simply to complain that there are too many religious threads, or people are rude, etc.
        If you don't like them, don't read them. And most importantly, read #2 above.

If you want a positive thread about religion, it is possible to start one yourself. Ask the trolls to stay out, and let people know you want it to stay positive. You are not obligated to respond to every poster; ignoring is perfectly OK.
        It is also possible to keep the hijackers out; just ask them to back off.
        I'm confused when there is a thread that complains about another one, but when you go read the "offending" thread you do not see any posts from the person who is complaining...

Hamster, your idea is valid from the point of view that HubPages is a privately owned business that has the right to restrict access if it chooses.
        But, especially on a site for writers, censorship and restrictions are bad news. (And bad for business smile)

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)