the Top Six

Jump to Last Post 1-15 of 15 discussions (80 posts)
  1. profile image0
    Twenty One Daysposted 14 years ago

funny thing:

the top six participants in the Religion/Beliefs forum, according to Hub Pages (at last glance) are the top six people who have no religion or beliefs associated with religion.

irony is still not without a sense of humor.

it's going to be a great day!

1. Pandoras Box profile image61
      Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Well that's a good sign.

1. kess profile image61
        kessposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I believe it helps their hubscore.

Not sure though why the hubscore is that important. 

Maybe the prospect of earning some dough...

I am hesitant to say It's God that so important...

Of course they wont admit it.

1. Pandoras Box profile image61

Is that part of your wisdom?

Will you ever admit that your assumptions that people argue against your beliefs because they secretly want to believe like you is really just part of your delusion?

2. profile image55
      (Q)posted 14 years agoin reply to this

Just goes to show who here really has something of value to say.

1. Mikel G Roberts profile image74
        Mikel G Robertsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emo/laughing/rolling.gif

1. earnestshub profile image81
          earnestshubposted 14 years agoin reply to this

luv the smiley though!

3. earnestshub profile image81

Just goes to show, you don't have to be religious to have beliefs! lol

4. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 14 years agoin reply to this

On behalf of this Mormon, whom many try to inflame, I sincerely congratulate those who made the top list.  I don't know who they are, for I have not seen it.  Nonetheless, I am happy for their success.  I look forward to civil exchanges with them on a neutral zone of tolerance and understanding.

Again, congratulations! smile

I don't think you understand, there is no competition that I know of, it simply means someone has posted to a forum most often and it changes regularly as a subject interests one hubber more than another.
        There is no benefits for doing so, in fact one does cop a bit of flack for being listed, as you will observe. smilesmile

1. tantrum profile image60
          tantrumposted 14 years agoin reply to this

that's right !

2. Pandoras Box profile image61

How civilly you cry persecution! Well done, gp, well done!

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
          Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

LOL

I thought my Mum was the Ultimate in Passive/Aggresive - but she could take lessons from these guys. And then never quite understand why this produces so much animosity.

Not that it matters - they will always be persecuted for loving jesus. lol lol

2. tantrum profile image60

LOL
          Not very subtle , his claim of peace!
          lol

1. goldenpath profile image67

Thanks for proving my point.  I can always count on you all. smile

3. Mark Knowles profile image57

This is a very dishonest way of attacking people, sweetie pie.

It pretty much sums up your religion though. Most forms of Christianity promote this way of creating conflict and it becomes pervasive throughout people's lives. I would like to bet that you get "attacked without provocation," quite regularly if this is your behavioral norm.

Only you know if that is true or not and I do not need a response.  wink

I have nothing against those of other orientations, but please, don't call me sweetie pie.  I thank you from the bottom of my heart.

But that is a term of endearment to show you what I think of you. O - woe is me - you are persecuting me for being honest again. sad

Dear God ! lol lol

Not really, and the demeaning comment is quite clear as glass in nature.  When I even hint of persecution as it pertains to HubPages forums, I mean that with every comment I make of a faith foundation it is a sure thing that the same individuals will be right behind me biting at my heels.

That is why I thanked for proving my point - because here we are.  It's always good to hear from you.

Well - thank you once again for proving mine sweetie pie. Your passive aggressive attacks are always a joy to observe.

Jesus must be very, very proud of you. Do you think you could do it well enough to get some one to attack you? Bet that is always a surprise huh?

Odd that you know yourself so little, you are not even aware that you are doing it. It is always the other person attacking you without provocation. wink

Thank you once again. Wonderful attack.

ciao

4. onthewriteside profile image60
        onthewritesideposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Spoken very diplomatically....like a guy that has a couple of wives or something....hehehe!

2. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 14 years ago

Kind of makes you wonder why the anti-religious crowd is more vocal than the religious crowd.....

3. FranyaBlue profile image74
    FranyaBlueposted 14 years ago

I noticed this the other day, earnesthub was #1

4. Lady_E profile image62
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Interesting Observation....

Some just like to stir and as you noted - they are not "religious".

You should be grateful we take the time to educate you. wink

Thanks Mark I needed that...

My pleasure Mikel. Remember - just because you cannot disprove it - that does not make it true. You will get there eventually sweetie. Keep trying. Good luck. big_smile

5. profile image0

narcissism is a religion too, fellas. And all three of you just made that perfectly obvious, again. lol

though, of all, i would have to say earnest is the most entertaining and very quick witted. Here's to YOU Earnest.
    ps, did you get those headphones fixed yet?

narcissism may be the base of all religion at one level at least. I don't do religion, my beliefs change with evidence, I am not afraid to learn, as I am not fixed in any religious belief.
      Not believing in fairies is not a religion! lol

1. AdsenseStrategies profile image63
        AdsenseStrategiesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There's a quote on my fridge, posted, I think, by some former tenant...
        It goes something like:

Don't believe this or that doctrine, don't believe the great masters, don't even believe me... test everything for yourself before you accept it...

It is attributed to the Buddha

Not bad at all. I read Siddhartha  as a kid and enjoyed reading many sayings like this. smile

2. profile image0
        Twenty One Daysposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yet, you once did as did I, which emulates belief, even to the infinite opposition.
        Point A and point B are infinite in either direction, yes?
        Again, I am with you on the regard of all such systems but not to the premise of denying a Creator exists.

I recently said this to a friend who follows atheism, how it has now become a form of slavery, forcible belief, via education in the West. Every person has to go to school and be 'educated' in what they are taught. No choice in the matter up to the collegiate level where they can specify a limited choice. Else, the consequence of a type of social banishment/exile or worse, effecting every point in their lives from work to relationships. In short, everyone is being indoctrinated into atheism without choice, as did religions many years.

1. Jerami profile image58
          Jeramiposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that everyone has been indoctrinated into where ever they are in life.
               Unfortunately our religious leaders  have gone under the same....   gotta answer the questions corectly or you don't get your diploma to be a religious leader.
               This in a nutshell is where "Religio" has gotten a bit "Off track"   The subject matter is true eventhough it has been described incorectly.

6. Colebabie profile image60
    Colebabieposted 14 years ago

Yeah but look at the topics in the forum. Many of them ask for theist/atheist/agnostic/etc. responses or question the existence of a God. Not to mention it is the religion/BELIEFS forum, like earnest pointed out.

7. earnestshub profile image81
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

I am not any "ist" smile I can think for myself. smile

doesn't that make you a 'self'-ist??

No it does not, which is easy to see if you wanted to.

8. Colebabie profile image60

I am a science major, but I wouldn't say I was "forced" to be an atheist. Because I'm not one. I am a well educated student in the West, but do not share the thoughts that you have. Some of your thoughts are a little jumbled but I think I get what you're trying to say.

I'd say that there is peer pressure to be one though (at least in Britain, where I grew up, and I suspect in Australia too)

1. Colebabie profile image60
        Colebabieposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think that there is peer pressure to be open-minded. Definitely. And rightfully so. But atheist, no.

Our government is opened with the lord's prayer, our prime minister is a religionist, the opposition leader (who some unkind souls in the press nicknamed "The mad monk") is a fundamentalist, so not too much pressure here to be an atheist or any other "ist" in Australia. We have a live and let live attitude mostly. smile

Interesting. I'd say that both in the schools I went to in England and the high school I went to in Canada anyone who was religious was mocked mercilessly

We have a large Muslim community in my city, not as many as London, we have people from most nations and religions here. Each seem to have their own schools, Mosques etc and although not perfect it seems to work pretty well. smile

I was interested ( i think amused, actually, in a sort of strange way), when I lived in London in the nineties, to see that on a Sunday morning at 12 o clock people poured out of the churches... all of them "Afro-Caribbean" British people.
                It makes me laugh, because I suspect that the same nonces who go around talking about England for white people would do well to go to some Church of England services in Britain's cities... virtually everyone in there is an immigrant, child of an immigrant, or grandchild of an immigrant.

lol Many of our immigrants are devout, but they soon learn to be tolerant of others too.
                  For example say you are a Muslim family in a shopping centre here, every second person smiles at your kids, people of all religions and races soon get the hang of how to behave by the examples within our still very Australian culture. It is still a pretty reasonable culture here in my opinion, some of the better old values like tolerance have remained since settlement. smile

On the other hand, our dealings with our aboriginal people has been disastrous because of ignorance and greed mostly, it is something I am not proud of about my country!

I've lived in both London and Montreal, and both are models, in general, of religious tolerance, despite both having huge numbers of Muslims (in both cities), Jews (in Montreal), Hindus, and so on. Everyone seems to get on fine.

2. Pandoras Box profile image61

I live in the south. As in the southern states of the U.S. I can tell you for certain that here it remains the christians who apply the peer pressure. Socially speaking, or in school or work or business, one does not admit to not believing if one wishes to be accepted. After much thought about it, I have somewhat regretfully advised my children to avoid the subject.

In some parts of the U.S., people are much more open-minded. The northwest, parts of New England. But the south is all for god, the christian god, of course. The protestant christian god, who mostly resembles the god of the OT as opposed to Jesus.

By the way, less someone point out that I have indoctrinated my children, I have not. I have had very honest conversations with them, and they know that I do not wish them to simply adopt my own viewpoints.

While I respect that for many people it was a simple instinctive decision, for me and from my point of view, whatever one's convictions are, they're pretty weak until one takes the time and invests the energy into investigating them for one's self.

9. profile image0

Agreed.
    we are both non 'ist' and can think for ourselves.
    So between you and me, there is no disguise, emotion overload or sticky post stereotype, lack of sanity.

This agreed and accepted, leaves only one question:

Why does one accept there is a Creator and one does not...

Personal and life experiences, family influence (can have an opposite effect as well), education, lifestyle, surroundings, location...

Lots of reasons.

1. profile image0

hiya Cole.

I know this, but those are outward influences.
        My family was the prime example of point A/B.
        One British Naval atheist, one Artistic Persian.
        Perhaps i was fortunate to see both sides day to day for 30 odd years.

Even still, my friends and their families never really pushed the 'ist' on them either. As my dad put it, we were the post Love-in/Aquarius generation, when technology was just coming out of the closet.

when we came to the states, the culture was much more liberal, accepting and -i joke a lot- reminded me of the stories of Babylon, anything and everything goes, so long as you can pay for it...

10. Hokey profile image60
    Hokeyposted 14 years ago

I have officialy converted. I am a mouseist. They do have a book.

ask Mickey ! big_smile

2. earnestshub profile image81

My elder son is surounded by them!
      They study him constantly.
      They keep my son in a laboratory for 8 hours a day sometimes. smile

1. Hokey profile image60
        Hokeyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Only 8 hours? Then he is one of the lucky ones. He must have cheese.  neutral

Yes, as usual you have slid the nail right on your non hirsute head! smile

11. Colebabie profile image60

So what answer are you looking for? Do you think we are genetically predisposed to a religion?

Yes, but I think we are genetically predisposed to lots of things that are unfortunate, war of various kinds for example. Not that religion is or isn't "unfortunate" necessarily

My brother is atheist, my sister and I agnostic, my mom was raised Catholic, my dad was raised Jewish. Not sure what genes are doing in my family then.

I thought you meant humans as a species.

But, funny you should bring it up, because in my family (on my Dad's side), my father is a Bahai convert, my cousin (completely coincidentally... and he lives a thousand miles from us) is a Bahai practitioner, my uncle follows Krishna (not that cousin's father), I did a BA in religious studies, and so did my sister, though she is much, much younger than me, and didn't know that that had been my major.
          Now, I am not saying definitively that this odd interest in religion (all people mentioned above were brought up in more-or-less modern rationalist households) is a genetic family trait, but then again.... it's certainly conceivable...

...In fact there is evidence that personality characteristics are genetically passed on sometimes, as large studies of twins separated at birth show

2. profile image0

no, no.

both Earnest and i have 'been' there done that with the 'ist'.
      we each made a thoughtful, rational, human decision.
      Me to accept a Creator, Earnest to not.

Wondering where/why the choice was made.

ps, i gotta move there. have friends in Hornsby NSW. jeje.

it not is so much a pressure thing here as much as a law.
      the pendulum has swung 180 opposite but still is the same.

12. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

As much as I despise religion, I think everyone is religious. Everyone religiously believes something.

1. profile image0
      pinkyleeposted 14 years agoin reply to this

agreed.. enough said

But believing in something is not synonymous with religion.

I know I seem impatient with this kind of slippery use of words, but it's important we nail down what we mean, at least for a period, when we use a given word.

There is some general way in which believing in something is a religion.

But for me, I'd say that a worldview that does not include some notion of good conduct or duty combined with a concept of the structure of reality or the universe is not a religion.

2. Mikel G Roberts profile image74

Well Stated

13. profile image0

... and this just in...

earnesthub hold #1 spot today
    followed by the Cagsil at #2.
    oddly, Mark Knowles takes seat #3
    inching ahead of #4 Q while Hokey holds at #5.
    lady tantrum comes in just behind #6 TWD at #7.

Stay tuned for more HubPages R&B updates.
    we now return you to our regularly scheduled program...

Updating
      I'm in post 7 now, and going down. Will not be posting much in religion forum for a while as I find it terribly boring  lately !

More of the same !

2. earnestshub profile image81

and this means what exactly?

3. skyfire profile image79
      skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't get it what are we going to do with stats ?

We will collect them and sell them to the religionists of course! lol

They don't seem very grateful of the education either. I mean - here we are trying to help them understand and all they do is attack and ridicule.

Some how - I think they would prefer it if we left them to it.

How odd. 21 days keeps bringing this up - almost like he has realized us non-believers actually understand more than the believers.

1. profile image0

emm, believers of exactly what?

the 'god' you don't believe exists?
            how and with what have they been educated? banter, laughter, ridicule. Come on guys, if your going to re-program them, at least have a program.

just sayin` is all.

14. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

lol

reminds me of our HP's very own "my ranking is higher" man...

smile I missed him somehow.

15. skyfire profile image79
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

Didn't noticed he was out, busy with life i guess neutral

Probably banned for personal attacks. big_smile

1. skyfire profile image79
        skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Moderators noticed that ? I thought he got away with that as usual.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)