I finally cracked the traffic problem......

Jump to Last Post 1-29 of 29 discussions (44 posts)
  1. DennisBarker profile image61
    DennisBarkerposted 14 years ago

at least things are improving dramatically now compared to six mo ths ago.The main thing which has changed over the past six months is my attitude to promotion.

I'm writing the same number of hubs per week (1 or 2) but I'm also posting articles to a couple of article sites and posting video to a couple of video sites, the results are not dramatic but on one hub I've doubled the traffic I get over the past week.

Its taken me an age to work out how to do this efficiently but now it seems I'm profitable and growing.

1. prettydarkhorse profile image62
      prettydarkhorseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thats good, you can always come back and share with us just like Ms. Lady E said

2. CMHypno profile image83
    CMHypnoposted 14 years ago

Congratulations - glad that your hard work is paying off!

3. wrenfrost56 profile image56
    wrenfrost56posted 14 years ago

Great work smile your so right backlinking is important for improving traffic, glad you've cracked it, it's something I'm still working on.

4. frogdropping profile image77
    frogdroppingposted 14 years ago

In a nutshell - backlinking smile

Oddly, it doesn't work for everything you'll write. But by the same token, I did a little investigative work on why some of my hubs are doing really well traffic wise, despite the fact that I haven't put any real effort into backlinking them.

It's because other's have picked up on them and done it for me.

So backlinking is the key, whether or not you do it or others kindly do it for you.

5. kirstenblog profile image79
    kirstenblogposted 14 years ago

I suspect its even better when others back link you. It means they think you are both relevant and good. Its a pretty big compliment in my book big_smile

6. andromida profile image55
    andromidaposted 14 years ago

Congrats. Backlinks really increase traffic.

7. Lady_E profile image61
    Lady_Eposted 14 years ago

Good to know.

If you crack anything else, do come back and share.lol

Ps. Also, if you haven't already - Redgage is good for backlinks and you earn while posting them too.

1. profile image0
      shazwellynposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I have signed up and used your name as a referral.  Hope that helps you my friend!  Thanks for helping me x

1. Lady_E profile image61
        Lady_Eposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Aaah. Just reading this now.  Thanks, you Sweet Pie.

Good luck with it - Will look for your profile. smile

8. profile image52
    kuboriteposted 14 years ago

This is very true SERPS rankings mainly depend 90% on backlinks alone and the more you have the better you will be.
    Get any sort of backlink as every link to your hub,blog or site is a vote but be weary not to link from bad neighbourhoods as you will get penalised by the big G* and all you links discounted.

1. profile image0
      lyricsingrayposted 14 years agoin reply to this

thank you smile

1. sunforged profile image70
        sunforgedposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Careful, If that was in any way true than the whole competing for keywords and search results would be very easy wouldnt it?

I would just create backlinks to my competitors sites at "bad neighborhoods" and watch as they fell out of the rankings because "all you links discounted"

just another myth parroted

a link in a bad neighborhood would just be ignored w/o any deleterious effects on the domain

what is a bad neighborhood? domains or even entire servers that have been identified as being used for link farms, virus sources, phishing sites and malware spreaders or even just a regular old spam source in the true sense (as in the actual server address where unsolicited mass email is generated from)

1. MyWebs profile image78
          MyWebsposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Yes your absolutely right. I would be too easy to sabotage your competitors.

9. Madfun profile image60
    Madfunposted 14 years ago

You can also contact the websites which picked up your article and ask if they want a unique one written. This adds even more benefit but does take time

Rob

10. oderog profile image46
    oderogposted 14 years ago

Great, back linking does help in traffic increase, and also if you have the right keyword that people are constantly searching for then you will be able to increase traffic to your hub. It is time consuming and very tiresome doing backlinking and sometimes one do feel as if you are wasting time

11. Internetwriter62 profile image77
    Internetwriter62posted 14 years ago

Good for you. You have the right attitude. You work hard and are creative when it comes to promoting your work. It takes time but, it pays of in the long run.

12. profile image0
    JeanMeriamposted 14 years ago

Curious. What is a bad neighbourhood for backlinks?

1. Daddy Paul profile image64
      Daddy Paulposted 14 years agoin reply to this

The worst ones are called link farms. Google the term it is a little too complicated to explain here.

13. profile image0
    lyricsingrayposted 14 years ago

I agree with your post title that the trafficking of crack is a major problem smile

glad things are working for you though buddy, now email me your tricks and secrets lol

1. thisisoli profile image72
      thisisoliposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Indeed, so many people try to stop you along the way!

14. NoRR4Me profile image66
    NoRR4Meposted 14 years ago

Hello,

I'm still pretty much a "newbie" here, but I too have discovered that uploading videos and linking back to your Hub helps a lot.

Now, I just need to get busy writing more Hubs. I'm so tired of my regular job. I'm really thinking about doing the 30 day challenge thing.

Best wishes & much success on Hub Pages to you all.

15. sunforged profile image70
    sunforgedposted 14 years ago

the forum is acting screwy and giving me BBCode syntax errors although none is being used on my end..I didnt quote "thank you" either

16. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

I'm glad to hear things are doing better for you. It's always nice to hear good news. smile Thank you for sharing. smile

17. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Just for reference Matt Cutts has mentioned several times howbad link neighborhoods are common sense.

Avoid unrelated spam directories, avoid unrelated website links, do not buy links, it is amazing how many people have been sent to supplimentals for this!

The best way to get liks is for others to want to link to you, although i am not sure Google appreciates how hard that is, so i generally submit to a few article directories as well tongue

18. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

While we're on the subject of backlinking, someone here said Reddit was really good for them yesterday, so I went there and inserted just one link. Am I right in thinking there is no space to add what your hub is actually about? Or did I mess up again?

1. skyfire profile image80
      skyfireposted 14 years agoin reply to this

There is no space to say what link is about, people will find out about that link and will comment over there. This is how reddit works. Try socialadr.com if you want submission to multiple social networking sites(that includes reddit) and automated submission.

1. IzzyM profile image88
        IzzyMposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Thanks for that Skyfire. I'll go look now.
        I've done some serious backlinking in the past to the usual sites - redgage, shetoldme, tipdrop etc, but I can't honestly say my traffic is improving.
        Ones I haven't backlinked at all are still getting google traffic the same as the ones I have backlinked, but none is getting a lot. I think the most hits a single hub I've written has been 10 in one day, usually they get 3 or 4 hits a day, and that is only certain hubs - others sit on zero.
        I've done the keyword optimisation on a lot of my hubs but maybe I am writing about things people don't want to know about...
        Just need to keep writing and experimenting with new topics.

2. profile image0
        TattoGuyposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Must give socialadr.com a try out, cheers for the heads up !

19. skyfire profile image80
    skyfireposted 14 years ago

I've taken a look at your hub, some of them are on environment niche+foods. So if you can manage to post comments on blogs in these niches you'll get some traffic. But for PR and backlinks, continue with linkwheel & social bookmarking.

20. IzzyM profile image88
    IzzyMposted 14 years ago

Thanks ever so much for your  help smile

21. Peter Hoggan profile image68
    Peter Hogganposted 14 years ago

Links from bad neighbourhoods will not harm your rankings because you have no control over who links to you and zero editorial control over what the link says. Search engines are aware of this and will simply ignore these links. Google Bowling and Google Bombing are also things of the past, if the terms are new to you Google them.

However, linking out to a bad neighbourhood will damage rankings.

At a recent conference Matt Cutts was asked by a website owner why his site had dropped in the Google rankings, it did not take long for him to point out that the website had been buying links from unrelated websites, this was the most likely cause of the drop in SERPs.

Whn I am recovered from my operation I am actually planning on pulling together a lot of information on this to provide a definitive backlinking guide!

1. JamesCurtis profile image60
        JamesCurtisposted 14 years agoin reply to this

That is not a penalty, that is a devalueing of links.

A site that had a high ranking due to 'bad neighbourhood' links will drop if google decides those links are worth less (not worthless) than initially calculated.

As has been pointed out several times being penalised for incoming links would be a black hat SEO dream.

22. Peter Hoggan profile image68

Was I talking about buying links from unrelated sites? Read my post again.

23. salt profile image60
    saltposted 14 years ago

thanks, Im still working on building basic skills and have backlinked 2 hubs, .... and still need to learn how and where to do more... must get motivated and do the work.

1. Misha profile image64
      Mishaposted 14 years agoin reply to this

You are likely to benefit from the strategy outlined in my last hub. It was developed exactly for beginners like you. smile

24. Peter Hoggan profile image68

thisisoli, Are you seriously suggesting that all I have to do is link to my competitors from bad neighbourhoods in order to damage their rankings?  I suggest you do some serious testing to back up your theories and second hand quotes.

I'm not saying it is as easy as that, but you do need to be careful.  I would not exactly call Matt Cutts a second hand quote since he is a long standing programmer of the Google search engine as well as one of its public representatives.

25. profile image57
    Siew Chengposted 14 years ago

Search followlist for a list of dofollow blogs.  Use Name/url (your hub url) to make comments to get backlinks to a particular hub.  You should see that particular hub attracts more visitors from search engine within a month.

26. salt profile image60
    saltposted 14 years ago

I think I have to work at this like a job... 2hours per week backlinking and traffic building... to start with then see if it does anything.

27. thisisoli profile image72
    thisisoliposted 14 years ago

Backlinking is a small part of SEO, if you have found some success with backlinking, take a look at the rest of the SEO world and you could be doing even better smile

I have written a guide on backlinking which you might find useful!

28. Greg Cremia profile image60
    Greg Cremiaposted 14 years ago

I have looked all over the redgage site and I could not find any legitimate back links. There were plenty of back links posted but I could not find where they actually were available for a search engine to see. Their use of javascript and iframes lets viewers see the links but they are hidden from the search engines.

Am I wrong?

29. Flightkeeper profile image66
    Flightkeeperposted 14 years ago

This is good to know. I'm concentrating right now on writing. I think once I have 100 hubs I'll start doing the backlinking stuff. I know that it's the slow way to get traffic but doing all this stuff takes a lot of time.

It might cut into my forums time! big_smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)