compatable dogs?

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (9 posts)
  1. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

I want to get my kid a dog of her own for Christmas since she is the only kid and I feel bad that she doesn't have a friend of her own.  We have a rat terrior that doesn't get along with any dogs, though she has never bitten or anything like that..so my questions is...

What kind of dog would be compatable with a rat terrior, a good companion for a three  year old, and one that is easy to train?

2. CuteLittleB profile image61
    CuteLittleBposted 15 years ago

I am an avid dog lover.
    I would recommend a toy poodle. Poodles are wonderful companions and very intelligent dogs. Having 2 toy poodles, I have had no problem with them adapting to other dogs. But like children they both have totally different personalities. Both were very easy to potty train.
    Personally I am a fan of crate training.

1. profile image0
      sandra rinckposted 15 years agoin reply to this

how do you crate train?  are toy poodles expensive to take care of?  Don't they have teeth problems?

1. CuteLittleB profile image61
        CuteLittleBposted 15 years agoin reply to this

Using a crate to confine your puppy during the night and for short periods during the day helps the puppy learn and develop more bowel and bladder control since his instincts tell hime to keep his bed clean. Choose a crate that will give your puppy room to stand up, move around, lie down, and stretch out. Using this method on both of my dogs worked wonderfully for me and only too about 2 weeks. But having said that, I have to tell you that both dogs were at least 8 weeks old before I received them.
        Toy poodles do have to be groomed regularly. I prefer the puppy cut and I have my dogs groomed 4 times a year.
        As to teeth, many vets recommend regular toothbrushing for dogs. Vets also recommend regular tooth cleaning. I do not go along with this due to the fact that the dog has to be anethesized.

3. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

I would not suggest a poodle with a young child. They are real iffy. Plus, if you already have a dog that is semi-dog aggressive it isn't the best idea to get another dog. Trust me, I've been there and deal with it daily. Just because you want another dog or want one for your daughter, it does not necessarily mean that your current dog will ever approve, and you may end up with a hectic life with the young child and 2 dogs constantly at each other.

Also, there is no breed that you can say is compatible with another breed. I have an American Pit Bull Terrier that gets along with all dog breeds - mixes and pure bred dogs, and my Yorkie gets a long with no one.

If you HAVE to get another dog, you're best bet is to check out a shelter instead of purchasing, as in most cases adoption dogs are better behaved, but that of course does not mean that breeder dogs aren't.

I have a hub about choosing a crate, but I do not think I have one on actual crate training. So, I'll try to write one for you. Otherwise, you may be interested in some of the dog breed hubs that I have as well as the adoption hubs, mix breed or pure bred dog, and other dog and dog training hubs. In general, crate training is a means of house training your dog and keeping it confined when you cannot watch it- IE out running errands or working, etc.

All dogs have the propensity for being trained, but it is going to be up to you to spend the proper time training them. Mix breeds are typically easy to train, but it will depend on the mixes as to how stubborn or pig-headed the dog it. For example most bully breed dogs are FABULOUS with children and VERY intelligent and easy to train, but being that they are EXTREMELY hardheaded, it takes a very adamant person with constant training to keep them entertained and properly trained.

When I was volunteering and a couple would ask about a dog for their family with a small child, they typically asked about smaller dogs. We never recommended smaller dogs to them unless we had an older small dog that we knew the temperament and we knew how the dog acted around kids. Typically, you do not want a small dog puppy around young kids, much less around a dog that already doesn't like other  dogs.

4. profile image0
    sandra rinckposted 15 years ago

Thanks for all that information.

The dog we have now just barks a lot, never seen her bite she is pretty stuborn though.  She has gotten along with other dogs but it seems like it depends on how they are introduced.

For instance, Star, that is her name, doesn't like the neighbors dogs but was cordial with a small dog passing by.  She is pretty picky. 

I was going to adopt for sure!

When I find a dog I will definitely check your hubs.  Actually I will probably check them out a little later. 

Star is a rat terrier, so we were possibly thinking of getting a fox terrier or a minpin.

I look forward to what else you have to say, if any.  thanks again.

5. mjmbug profile image59
    mjmbugposted 15 years ago

I would never get rid of a dog because of barking.  Barking is their only way to communicate.  Most dogs bark out of fear.  A little dog is much less threatening that another big dog, no matter what their size.  Besides their are many ways to cure a barking dog.  The one I found the simplest is to fill a mall spray bottle with 1 ounce of mouthwash and the rest with water.  Every time they bark inappropriately spray them directly in the eyes.  I trained both my dogs with this method and it only took one week.  After that all I had to say was "do you want me to get the spray bottle?"  They quite barking immediately.  Now when they bark I know it is for a good reason.

6. Whitney05 profile image82
    Whitney05posted 15 years ago

mjmbug, she never said that she was going to get rid of the dog because of the barking.

Sandra, what you may want to consider is talking to a local rescue about fostering. That way you have a chance to see which dog Star may get along with before adopt the dog and she hates the new dog. But remember it is going to take time to adjust, especially since she's already iffy with other dogs and because she's an only dog. You'll want to be very careful upon first introductions, which means find a neutral territory such as a park to first introduce the dogs. Many people choose the front yard, but if your dog is frequently in the front yard, then that really won't work. You'll want both dogs on leashes, as well.

I wouldn't set your sights on a particular breed, but just go and see what is available and what your dog may get along with. Plus, if you go looking for a particular breed, you'll probably have a hard time finding just that. Both fox terriers and mini pins, can be troublesome. I've known many a mini pin that are dominant dogs, which would pose a problem with your dog who seems to be dominant. You want to find a submissive dog, and typically terriers are not that dog. I would go with something a little bigger, personally. Like I said, we never suggested small dogs with people with younger kids. You just don't want to go huge since you do have the smaller dog.

7. dingdong profile image57
    dingdongposted 15 years ago

Compatable?

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)