Using the Internet to Save Money

Jump to Last Post 1-13 of 13 discussions (20 posts)
  1. tonynosense profile image60
    tonynosenseposted 14 years ago

Internet and computers obviously cost money. How can you use the internet to save money. Would like to hear your tips.
    Some ways it has helped me:
    1. eliminating newspaper and magazine subscriptions
    2. free and discounted ebooks online
    3. finding deals on shopping and travel
    4. reducing the need to travel

What works for you?

1. profile image0
      Car Donationsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

good points. In addition, some website have special deals on products that you can't find in retail stores. The only negative aspect is the cost of shipping.  And yes, you can make decent money just writing blogs online.

2. profile image0
      Car Donationsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

One thing in regards to the cost of buying a pc. Don't cheap out. Even a top of the line computer will become outdated in a few months. So if you buy a cheap computer, you may have to buy another one soon. I actually had my pc custom built 6 years ago. I still use it today. It still runs well and can handle most new applications.

1. profile image0
        ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I don't think he was referring to the purchase of a computer, simply making reference to how online shopping can offset the costs of running a computer and using the internet.

3. angela_michelle profile image94
      angela_michelleposted 13 years agoin reply to this

In one of my hubs I listed a bunch of websites that lists all these sites that will help you. Such as budgeting tools like mint.com, where you can put all your bills in to keep track of spending and debt, as well as income. Also there are sites like swaptree.com where you can trade your books, cds, dvds, and games for other books cds, etc. As well as a couple gas price checkers and of course sites that have coupons like coupons.com. The full hub is here with the list of all the sites: http://hubpages.com/hub/Websites-That-W … ave-Money.

2. Cagsil profile image70
    Cagsilposted 14 years ago

Using the Internet for making money is better than trying to save money. Considering you can make about $2000 a month working on hubs on hubpages, it would make pretty good sense.

Saving? Savings are gimmicks, portrayed in the light of being helpful.

The products, goods and services offered by many businesses are for use by people. It does something for them. Savings? Is a marketing ploy disguising the real and actual cost increases companies have recently applied.

But, nice thought tho. hmm

1. tonynosense profile image60
      tonynosenseposted 14 years agoin reply to this

A bit cynical but I will agree making money should be the priority. You need balance though.

2. profile image0
      ryankettposted 13 years agoin reply to this

A good point made, but I do believe that the consumer can save money on the internet. If only due to the massive amounts of competition, as well as the possible alternative lifestyle choices. I bought a brand new, in season, designer shirt from eBay yesterday - unworn and with tags - for £9. I am not sure how that would have been possible offline.

In the UK in particular, low value goods are automatically 17.5% cheaper by virtue of a tax avoidance that can be utilised by businesses such as Amazon.co.uk. We pay 17.5% Value Added Tax on any luxury items, but the Isle of Jersey and the Isle of Guernsey are exempt from these taxes. Therefore all of these large online businesses base themselves on these islands and savings are significant enough to be noticed when perusing things like CDs, DVDs, and books on the high street.

The only problem with shopping online when you are also an internet earner is the temptation to purchase more, particularly when sometimes it is more convenient to spend online currency rather than withdraw it. I have lost count of the number of times that I have had $50 in my Paypal account and decided that an eBay purchase would be easier than waiting 7-9 days for a bank withdrawal!

3. Mieka profile image62
    Miekaposted 14 years ago

I save a lot of money by finding cheaper flights online. Travel agencies fares are so much higher! And I save a lot of money on travel guides, by reading about my destinations online smile
    Sometimes hostels offer discounts if you book them online via fro example hostelworld.com, instead of over the phone.
    And I save a lot of money on the train, by watching videotaped lectures from my uni professors back home, instead of taking the train to go to class to listen to the same lectures.

4. earnestshub profile image80
    earnestshubposted 14 years ago

Time saved on banking, paying for utilities, shopping, researching, making a living, it's all good! smile

5. h.a.borcich profile image62
    h.a.borcichposted 14 years ago

By researching DIY house repairs on the internet I have saved quite a bit. I bought an older home about 6 or so years ago and I researched and did:
    Roofing
    Refinished wood floors
    Landscaping
    Cabinet repairs
    Bathroom and Kitchen updating
    I also researched and priced a mortgage and appliances efficiently which saved alot of time, cash and hassles.

Through the internet I researched my cancer, found the best drs in the field, and had life saving surgery by one of the best drs in the world. I am alive because of it! Priceless really smile

I also stay in touch with my family and friends that I can't afford to travel to. On the days where I can't move - I can still be social smile

Savings are by far worth it to me smile Holly

6. PackSecure profile image61
    PackSecureposted 14 years ago

I use online coupons all the time.  If I am gonna shop anywhere, I look for an online coupon first.  We went out to eat the other day and I found a 10% off coupon, WOOT.

1. Pearldiver profile image66
      Pearldiverposted 13 years agoin reply to this

lol YeeHaa... caught another one lol
      So many food companies clip your HotDog 15% before offering a 10% discount lol
      Did you find the link to the online mustard dispenser and the one where you can get really tight virtual buns? hmm lol

7. profile image55
    probafixposted 14 years ago

Discounted books in internet.

8. DanPowers profile image47
    DanPowersposted 14 years ago

I wrote a hub about saving money on insurance renewals. I got my cashback check at the weekend, so it's definately worth it!

http://hubpages.com/hub/Reduce-Your-Ins … uote-Costs

9. Csjun89 profile image60
    Csjun89posted 13 years ago

I have found playing facebook games to cut down the spending on movie tickets, and of course also the other way of watching latest blockbusters on the internet ahem

10. sportyfunster profile image68
    sportyfunsterposted 13 years ago

Using the internet has saved money for people who needs to make long distance phone calls to friends and family. That has been replaced by communicating by using Skype, Facebook, or MSN Messenger.

11. MomCrafting4Fun profile image60
    MomCrafting4Funposted 13 years ago

We have done a lot of what has been mentioned above.

We love books at our home!  We have saved a lot buying books on sites like half.com and using paperbackswap to exchange books we don't want with others.  We also buy used movies and video games.

12. deweyduck profile image60
    deweyduckposted 13 years ago

I usually save money on the internet by buying from the internet!

The prices always seem to be cheaper. Plus, if I can find the right website (like amazon) I pay NO taxes! Tax in my state is 8.25% - it really adds up overtime. 

I have bought digital cameras and most of my electronics from the internet because its cheaper and I pay no tax. For example my $600 camera from Amazon would have been $100 more expensive at the electronics store plus about $57 in taxes... no thanks.

The only drawback to ordering online is you have to wait for shipping but there are plenty of sites that offer it for free.

13. profile image0
    Home Girlposted 13 years ago

After I bought a table on KIJIJI, I am trying to find some other bargains there. For me the problem is shipping and transportation- too costly! But on Internet you can find just about anything: money, cure, job and your destiny! Savings come pretty simply: Spend less than you earn. That's it.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)