Art is an important part of a wholistic life...

Jump to Last Post 1-14 of 14 discussions (20 posts)
  1. SparklingJewel profile image67
    SparklingJewelposted 16 years ago

Season's Greetings to All !

A wholistic life means finding the balance with all your individual life aspects to create health and joy, wealth and prosperity, just to mention a few desired circumstances! When art can inspire and create those qualities for our self and others as well, then it truly is wholistic in nature and good for our lives. I would like to know your perspective on this, and share my understanding of living a wholistic life. I am still learning how to communicate with this Hub system and looking for any pointers!

Jewel

2. thooghun profile image95
    thooghunposted 16 years ago

I'm a little uncertain on what "finding the balance with all your individual life aspects"is in truth. I find that both my artistic "encoding" process and "decoding" (for lack of a better desciption) revolve primarily around certain emotions that trigger from imbalances in my life. Such as anger, frustration, elation or boredom. This is not to say I disagree with you in any way of course.

Does it mean a sort of inner-objectivity?

I would like to understand the concept a little further before commenting, but I am interested in knowing a little more about what the concept is!

Thooghun,

1. SparklingJewel profile image67
      SparklingJewelposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Hi Thoogun,
      If you mean you want to understand the concept of  what are individual life aspects, I mean in general, we each have soul awarenesses in life of a spiritual nature, a mental nature, an emotional nature and the physical nature and through exploring those aspects we find the difference between our real self and our not real self. As well as the awareness connections with the natural environment and our place in the universe (i.e.God, Source, whatever is your choice of word for higher power).
      It is hard for me to understand completely what you mean by wanting truth. I always felt truth was unique to each of us. Your point about it meaning a sort of inner objectivity did strike a chord  of mutual understanding  in me. I want to respond with yes, to me an aspect of truth is being objective within myself, like, I experience (act out) emotions that I don't believe are my true self. I believe my true self is kind, patient, compassionate and other positive qualities of love. But I do not always act that way, so when I act/feel  like I don't want to act or feel I try to change. To me that is finding my way to balance, seeing what is not the real me and choosing to change through understanding where that not real me came from...sorting out my psychology to some degree then just stopping the habit I allowed of being unpleasant. Actually it has usually worked the other way around, I began to stop the habit and then the psychology became clear why I started acting that way.
      Are we connecting? Thank you for the question, it gives me practice writing for clarity. The thoughts in my head are a lot more clear than in words, sometimes!

3. Kenny Wordsmith profile image74
    Kenny Wordsmithposted 16 years ago

Art, and for that matter, reading gives me enough detachment from issues that may get to me, otherwise. Though it's not absolutely neccessary to be a practising artist, it's enough to appreciate art.
    But I believe everyone is an artist, and to extend my belief practically, all my professional secrets are no more secrets. I share everything, in teh hope that it will encourage all to discover their art.

But Art alone will not give balance. There are great artists, like Van Gogh whose art only reflected their inbalance. Good for us, but of no use to them.

4. Writers' World profile image53
    Writers' Worldposted 16 years ago

It looks like there are a lot of people who are interested in writing here.  I adore writing and reading too!  If you would like to meet other people who are interested in writing, please visit my new blog called Writers' World. This is a brand new blog that is still being worked on but I would love to hear from you!  Help yourself to the Forum where you can leave comments and interact with fellow writers.
    The link below can be copied and pasted into your browser bar to get you there.
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Writers-World-Forum

1. Mark Knowles profile image57
      Mark Knowlesposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Well, I had a look and you pretty much say you have no clue, no experience and no idea what you are doing, so why are you promoting yourself as some kind of writing guru?

Welcome to hubpages.

5. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

Sparkling jewel - This is certainly a difficult subject to be clear on (because, I think, much of what you are talking about is a feeling rather than a quantifiable fact) but you seem to be doing just fine.

But I have been dying to ask you about the W in front of holistic - Is this intentional to mean something else ?

Sorry if that's a little off-topic, but I have been wanting to ask since you arrived at hubpages big_smile

1. Kenny Wordsmith profile image74
      Kenny Wordsmithposted 16 years agoin reply to this

After you brought it up, Mark, I did a google on 'wholistic' and got about 719 k results. Thinking it was American, I did a uk search and got about 23k sites. I don't know if it's branding or an acceptable version.

I don't think so. I guess after holistic got "cool" a bunch of people started using the W because all the websites were taken. But the W version is not in the dictionary and as far as I can tell is not a word. That's why I was curious. big_smile

6. thooghun profile image95

Thank you,  it's clearer now!

7. thooghun profile image95

Oh, not wanting to sounds pedantic. But I've always believed truth to be something independent of our perceptions. It's certainly a difficult subject to address!

When I mentioned "in truth" it was a colloquial way of saying honestly, not the term truth itself, sorry if that confused you!

8. SparklingJewel profile image67
    SparklingJewelposted 16 years ago

Hi Guys,

Frankly, I don't recall how or when I started using wholistic. I just know I use it because I consider the Whole  person, the basic aspects I mentioned, spiritual, mental, emotional and physical and our interaction with the natural environment and other forms of life. I also try to consider the whole perspective within any situation. Take in as many perspectives of the whole 360 degree circle of life to learn from, as well as the spiral ! It has always been beneficial for me to do so, helps me be more accepting of where others are. And it is more interesting (and helpful to the universe) than being angry or  hateful because of someone else's mistakes. I prefer to assess as completely as possible then take action when I can.

If I've come up with something unique, using the word wholistic as I do, that is good and what I want! Helps to stand out, shake things up a bit! Inspire questions and conversations. I haven't read anything so objectionable about the word that I need to stop using it. It does matter to a degree what other people think, I don't want to run anyone off by using language that is too far out there.

And speaking of truth, I do try to make a point of saying that I believe there are basically two levels of it. Human truth and divine truth. Divine truth to me is  out-pictured in some of the "perceived" facts of science, for instance, the order of the known universe, planets in their orbits, day follows night, we are born, we live and die, etc. Now, origin thereof, is another story.  I do think science has a long way to go, they can get so stuck in their limited  research perspectives. I believe in the integration of science and religion/spirituality, similar to what the Dalai Lama is trying to do. But when I apply divine truth to my human truth belief system, I see how we are truly unique as individuals, for we all can see things differently because we have had different experiences in life...back to the word definition thing again. Seriously, I haven't tried to go too deep into that with anyone, because it is a feeling, a knowing, that I couldn't prove to anyone...I just live it and want to inspire others to seek it for themselves. It does feel good!!

See ya all,

Jewel

No, no, nothing objectionable, I was just curious. big_smile

9. Kenny Wordsmith profile image74
    Kenny Wordsmithposted 16 years ago

No, no objection, Jewel, only interest! smile

10. VioletSun profile image81
    VioletSunposted 16 years ago

I am not sure if I am being off topic, but when I read the title "Art is an important part of a wholistic life" it caught my attention because I thought of my sister. When her 18 year old son passed away two years ago, she started to paint again in order to deal with her grief. It is in those moments of painting that she finds peace.  Whenever she ventures away from her art, I notice she loses energy and her passion for life (and she is a high energy woman), but when she paints she gets into a much higher frame of mind and spirit, and I feel her passion come back to life, even if I am now 3,000 miles away from her.  For this reason, I always encourage her to continue painting as this is her joy and means of transcending her grief.  The good news is, she is planning a major life change, is moving out of NY, to live near the beach in Florida once she makes some financial arrangements, and plans to curtail on her business activities, and live a life where art is her main focus.  If I get inspired, I may write a hub about her, and nooOoooO, I am not sharing this,  so I will get readers.  smile

11. VioletSun profile image81
    VioletSunposted 16 years ago

I sorta like the word "wholistic" and did an online dictionary research and its also spelled this way. Its interesting, I never paid attention to the different spellings between "holistic" and "wholistic", glad you guys brought it up,  because I often write on this subject.  smile

12. Mark Knowles profile image57
    Mark Knowlesposted 16 years ago

Actually, I always thought the correct spelling was holistic, and when I looked it up, I found that to be the correct spelling. That's why I asked if it was some new meaning or word. I believe the correct way is with an H, but maybe SparklingJewel has created a hole (sic) new word.

13. Misha profile image63
    Mishaposted 16 years ago

I saw it with "w" several times, and usually it comes from people who tend to write "u r" instead of "you are", etc.

14. thooghun profile image95

Mark and Misha are the tandem of doom. If we're going to be pedantic then I'd agree with Mark. When I searched for Wholistic I got this:

holism
    (redirected from Wholistic)

So I guess it's a fairly common mistake.

1. VioletSun profile image81
      VioletSunposted 16 years agoin reply to this

Oh, I see. Guess, I misunderstood the dictionary's interpretation. Thanks for the heads up guys!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)