Intelligent Life

Jump to Last Post 1-12 of 12 discussions (32 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image59
    marinealways24posted 13 years ago

In your own words without quoting religious text or quoting atheist text, what are the main points that rule life being intelligent or ignorant?

1. goldenpath profile image67
      goldenpathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The glory of God IS intelligence.  Therefore, all things exist through that power and authority, Eloheim or the line of eternal Gods.  His is one eternal round.

2. Jerami profile image59
      Jeramiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

You also have to define what level of intelligence in which you are speaking.

A turtle is intelligent enough to decide if it wants to lay out on a log.

Some scientists would say that you and I have a comparable inteligence to that of the turtle.

The creator would say that you or I have the intelligence of the log on which the turtle is laying on.

To answer your question Without quoting scripture
      I would say that the log is pretty intelligent and the turtle is no as much

Just funning atch ya.

3. earnestshub profile image79
      earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I have heard about intelligent life. Never seen it though! smile

1. Jerami profile image59

Hay Earnist  goday to ya.
           I'd have to agree with ya on that.
          The more intelligent we become; the faster we go full circle.

1. earnestshub profile image79
          earnestshubposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just so. Reason can be so unreasonable eh? lol

I don't know how reasonable reason is ???   But I can tell ya that it sometimes makes my head hurt.

1. Jewels profile image81
              Jewelsposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I'm with you there Jerami.  Rhyme and Reason is such an amazing journey.  I say amazing with a level of temperance   I've also used the term mind f**k because, yeah it makes your head hurt.   I started making a 'highway' to understand reason.  It's full of traffic, one way streets and u-turns. smile  But was a stimulating journey if nothing else.  And I really understand the concept of Relative and Absolute and how you have to get out of the little mind sooner or later or you'll do your head in. lol

Hay Jewels ...   Long time since our thoughts a have touched but I can feel ya on that.
                   I was just wondering??  Do we ever realy know where we are at on this journey that you speak of?

Only degrees of it.  It's too big and we only fathom snippets of the absolute and it's that realm that creates the wonder and our unending need and want to seek it.  When the small mind lets go of 'needing' to know, that's when you see more.

I used to want a report card and I made a joke that I was going to fail at spiritual school lol

I like the model of Pre-personal to personal to transpersonal and the self awareness and deconstruction to achieve a more transpersonal state - that's like being in the world but not of it.  And a guage to use is one of self awareness, true introspection, and balance. Within the balance of the polarities is the ability to be wise and much much less reaction to outside influences!  And a darn good sense of humor helps lol

I've also found the study of subtle bodies extremely helpful in the level of awareness of the organic, life force and mind,.

Jeremy, I'm off to work so I may take awhile to answer next.  Have a good one.

2. terced ojos profile image59
        terced ojosposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Just so. Unlike other animals who are by and large locked into their instinct.

Human beings have the unique ability to transcend their animal instinct.

Herein is the mark of divinity.

4. profile image0
      SirDentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The first thing I think about is how intelligence is actually measured. Who's to say which people are intelligent or not?

An intelligent person must have not only knowledge, but wisdom to use that knowledge rightly.

One point that I see is that men are actually ignorant. The mnore they think they know, the less they actually know.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
        Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Would praying to invisible magical being have any relevance to intelligence?  smile

1. profile image0
          SirDentposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Not really. Praying to God shows man's acknowledgement of intelligence. It shows humbleness in man which is what we all should be more than we are. Man thinks he knows it all, but we actually know very little.

1. Beelzedad profile image59
            Beelzedadposted 13 years agoin reply to this

That's contradictory. Praying to gods is asking them to violate our physical laws, hence it is an acknowledgement of ignorance of such laws.

Humbleness and intelligence are not necessarily linked.

No, believers know very little as can be acknowledged here on a daily basis.

Funny, everything you just said is contradictory to some of your other posts.  smile

2. Mark Knowles profile image58
            Mark Knowlesposted 13 years agoin reply to this

But you have all the answers though? You know you need to pray to this god which tells you that abortion is wrong?

Your arrogance is astounding Dent. You know this god? And are so arrogant that you think you are qualified to tell me about it? And think I am stupid enough to believe that this is humbleness?

Talk about offensive.

You know nothing yet are qualified to tell me what I should pray to? And you know it is intelligent. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLO

Deary me. Without doing any work or educating yourself in any way shape or form - you claim to be an authority about something you admit you cannot understand.

How very humble of you........................... wink

2. ITSecurityAnalyst profile image58
    ITSecurityAnalystposted 13 years ago

Insecurity rules our life n lead us to find any answer that our mind capable of handling.

3. kess profile image60
    kessposted 13 years ago

Life is intelligence or we may say all knowledge.
    Death is ignorance.

4. Disturbia profile image61
    Disturbiaposted 13 years ago

Intelligent life?  Where?

5. tobey100 profile image60
    tobey100posted 13 years ago

For a minute there I thought you were asking about an intelligent wife.  phew!!!!!

1. Richieb799 profile image76
      Richieb799posted 13 years agoin reply to this

That would of caused more trouble than a Religious thread LOL

6. ilmdamaily profile image68
    ilmdamailyposted 13 years ago

I don't understand the premise of the question...are you asking what separates intelligent life from non-intelligent life?

If so, it's a heck of a barrel of worms. Intelligence has no ready-made definition, though in general most definitions of intelligence hinge on the principles of an organisms ability to adapt or react to its environment, solve problems that it encounters, and relate to other organisms or the envrionment in which it finds itself - though that is certainly not exhaustive...

The real interesting questions come up when you factor in consciousness and self awareness into the equation. Some organisms seem to have no self-awareness (in the sense we do) though still seem to exhibit signs of intelligence, whereas other organisms exhibit a degree of self awareness, though seem to exhibit very few signs of intelligence (Republicans etc...).

1. marinealways24 profile image59
      marinealways24posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Sorry, no, just for your overall opinion on viewing all of the data and abilities of life, putting it together, and stating whether you believe life has more intelligence or ignorance.

I agree on the definition. In short, I think level of intelligence is designed by level of consciousness. Intelligent is dependent on consciousness and according to your thoughts, it fits well as a simple definition of intelligence.

I think all living organisms display intelligence and a level of awareness and consciousness to some extent, but I could be wrong.

Let's not get political, besides, politicians are bad examples of intelligence. lol

7. Jeff Berndt profile image74
    Jeff Berndtposted 13 years ago

This is a really hard question to answer, because like many questions that look like a yes/no dichotomy to many people, to me looks more like a question of varying degrees.

All animals, and many plants, display some kind of awareness, even if it's only a response to external stimuli.

Does communication make a difference? The degree of detail available in communication? Birds, for example, make different noises when seeking a mate, defending territory, or warning about a predator. But they don't seem to have conversations as such.

Whales are thought (by some) to converse, but what do they have to talk about?

Does a creature plan for the future? Remember the past? Speculate whether other creatures are more like or unlike himself?

And if so, how can we tell?

8. heart4theword profile image61
    heart4thewordposted 13 years ago

I think it is so amazing how our human bodies are made up, everthing functioning together, in corilation with each other.  There is a definite beat to our hearts, our breathing, our eyes taken in vitamins from the sun, our blood circulating, and how much of our body is water.

The reporductive system, how we interact with other humans in every way.  Just couldn't of happened with out a masterdesigner, working out our food, air, sun, sleep, etc...

Now the atmosphere is another story in itself...wow!  There is so much evidence, I can't ignore.  Even in the animals, and how some of them are made different from another and how they take care of themselves.

Great topic question:)

9. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

Intelligence is curiousity and the willingness to continue learning.

10. profile image61
    logic,commonsenseposted 13 years ago

Beam me up Scotty, there's no intelligent life in Washington! D.C. that is!

11. Greek One profile image63
    Greek Oneposted 13 years ago

Intellegence is based on the degree to which a person supports my favorite sports teams

1. Pandoras Box profile image60
      Pandoras Boxposted 13 years agoin reply to this

hah! I like that one.

12. Origin profile image60
    Originposted 13 years ago

In the greater scheme of things, intelligence is a human measurement. It's by our own measurement that we put ourselves on the top, as we consider ourselves the most intelligent beings on the planet.

Who's to say that animals don't exceed our intelligence on a level that us, as humans, do not understand nor grasp? It could be possible, who knows.

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)