Dawkins and "NonRandom" Evolution

Jump to Last Post 1-4 of 4 discussions (49 posts)
  1. marinealways24 profile image58
    marinealways24posted 14 years ago

Isn't it silly of the ignorant Dawkins to define evolution by "nonrandom" natural selection. Tricky word for a tricky atheist scientist. Why do you think the ignorant Dawkins loves the word nonrandom?

1. abunchoftigers profile image61
      abunchoftigersposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Because there is no randomness involved with natural selection?

I'm not sure what you're trying to say.

marinealways24posted 14 years agoin reply to this

I think it's to hide the fact that evolution has specific design. Nonrandom meaning patterns and design. I think it leans to being an intelligent design rather than a purely random design.

1. Evan G Rogers profile image61
          Evan G Rogersposted 13 years agoin reply to this

?

Evolution can't be designed, and it can't be random.

If evolution were designed, then my body would make a lot more sense than it does. My vision is horrible, I can't smell very well, i have a deviated septum, and I'm allergic to half the food in the Ocean.

If evolution were random, it would mean that when a woman and a man had a baby, they'd have an equal chance of having a cow, a cockroach, or a fish be their baby as they would a human baby.

The simple fact is that life is a bunch of chemicals interacting with each other, and those chemicals that do a better job of continuing their existence do just that: continue their existence.

It's not random, and it's not designed.

marinealways24posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Alright, I appreciate your comment, but of course I have some disagreements.

If evolution wasn't designed, it wouldn't be traceable. There are no non random fossils to find if all fossils were random. I never said it was perfect design, but it does appear intelligent considering lifes changes in evolution to survive the environment. No intelligence, no adaptation, no design, no facts to show that life designs itself around it's environment.

If all of evolution is correct which I believe for the most part, your vision was designed with flaws. Animals evolved eye's to see the environment and many flaws can be traced in evolutions "add-on's" rather than the designer argument of starting all over separately. The bad characteristics of the vision is what allows it to be traced, if it was began from the beginning, there would be no trace of why you have bad vision or why you evolved eyes.

Evolution is not as simple as chemicals mixing, evolution is life consciously recognizing it's environment and making physical changes in the body to adjust. The physical changes come from thoughts of the environment. Without comprehension of the environment, no changes are made to better survive.

See, the problem is that you take "Not designed" to mean "random" and "not-random" to mean "designed".

You're taking words that aren't the same, and then declaring them the same.

Evolution is neither - it's natural selection. I suppose if you want to say that "when water has a current sent through it at X volts, it tears apart the individual atoms and the result is Hydrogen and Oxygen gases" to mean that something is designed, then go ahead.

If you want to translate "if there are 500 bits of sodium, and 250 of them explode one day when it starts raining, then the remaining 250 still exist" as random, then go ahead.

But you'd be wrong. The only randomness that has been shown (not proved - it might just be that we can't measure how things are changing) in nature is in the quantum world, and the only design that has ever been shown is ... well... we haven't shown any true design.

Quote:
              "Evolution is not as simple as chemicals mixing, evolution is life consciously recognizing it's environment and making physical changes in the body to adjust.

Have you ever had a panic attack? From just a simple chemical imbalance, this entire symphony of "life" and "consciousness" gets thrown completely into wild disarray. I've gone through them, and they ain't fun.

Have you ever smoked a joint? I won't admit that I have, but just from adding a little bit of this weird chemical called THC into the system of of a human body, things get pretty weird (from what I hear).

Lord knows I ain't never tried meth, but I hear it causes epilepsy - again, just a simple chemical being added to symphony of other chemicals, which in turn leads to... weirdness.

Have you ever starved yourself for a day? or heck, just half a day? The drop in concentration of this weird chemical called "sugar" in your blood stream can have quite the impact on the "life [that] consciously recognizes it's [sic.] environment".

If life were truly as stellar and mystical as you're painting it to be, all of these examples I've displayed would make little to no sense.

2. Beelzedad profile image59
        Beelzedadposted 14 years agoin reply to this

So, what does Dawkins have to say about it? Did you ask him yourself? Did you read his books?

lol I don't need to ask him, but I am reading one of his books and have watched numerous videos of him. Anyone that can dedicate their life and passion to evolution, but is too ignorant to recognize and claim it has design is a moron. It clearly has design plain as day. One would almost have to be unconscious to not see it has design.

1. ceciliabeltran profile image63
            ceciliabeltranposted 14 years agoin reply to this

i agree with this, as always.

Thank You. I wanted to write him a good answer.

2. Beelzedad profile image59

Then you aren't really looking for an answer, are you. wink

I must be unconscious, then. smile

You don't see any design in evolution?

1. Beelzedad profile image59

None whatsoever. Am I supposed to be looking for a "Made in Heaven" or "Made by God" tag somewhere?  smile

Okay Marine, these guys really really need to know about MANDELBROTH.  In the 80's, it has been determined mathematically that not a single thing is random. everything is designed according to its seed shape, repeating over various levels of scale. Okay, Random Universe is debunked--mathematics proves it, it is being proven in medicine, biology and in the film industry.

Not really, in physics, the number 1 is representative of the whole, for example we use 1 in place of c as representing the speed of light.

In the Mandelbrot expression of quadratic polynomials:

Zsubn+1=Zsubn^2+c

...where c=1, the integer is not an element of the set. The entire equation becomes unbounded and the results tend to go on to infinity. This isn't random.

But, if c=n^2-1, the equation is bounded to the Mandelbrot set and will not go to infinity, hence it is random. smile

2. marinealways24 profile image58

Beelze, amazing how you believe yourself logical, yet you jump to God assumptions at anything mentioned thats not written by your atheist science heros or posted on a link you can easily post without having to think. Hard being logical isn't it? Keep the faith. lol

Cecilia, I agree, it's amazing to the the atheist supporters that think evolution evolves from nothing without there being previous design or motive to evolve.

Ok, I found a Platypus that had a "Made by Intelligent Designers" stamp hidden under it's fur.

So, who designed the Platypus?

marinealways24posted 13 years agoin reply to this

The stamp would be the consciousness of natural selection in the Platypus adapting and changing forms in surviving the environment.

2. Mark Knowles profile image57
              Mark Knowlesposted 14 years agoin reply to this

It is a religious belief so it does not require evidence or substantive arguments - or even a few facts to back it up. The real funny thing is - he admits to not having read anything by Dawkins. lol

Now you have to disprove it. LOL

Lol I knew you would be here to defend your hero, protect the faith.
                How much do I need to read by your unconscious hero to see which he fails to admit in evolution having design? Well he does admit it, just as his use of the word nonrandom. Nonrandom is design.

1. abunchoftigers profile image61
                  abunchoftigersposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Doesn't anything about the phrase, "nonrandom is design" strike you as laughably absurd? Doesn't it sound a bit like, "nonblue is green"?

What is faith?

1. northweststarr profile image61
                    northweststarrposted 14 years agoin reply to this

faith is a nonrandom belief in something bigger than yourself right? LOL wink

2. marinealways24 profile image58

Tigers,

"lacking any definite plan or order or purpose; governed by or depending on chance;"

This is a definition for random, so what is nonrandom? You put the pieces together. Nonrandom is design and purpose. Are you incapable or reading beyond selective atheist wording?

oh, definitely incapable darling! wink

2. Pandoras Box profile image59
                      Pandoras Boxposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I don't think nonrandom necessarily = design, to address the problem technically.

3. Obscure Divine profile image61
        Obscure Divineposted 14 years agoin reply to this

He probably likes the word 'nonrandom' because it's a vague, semi-equivocal way of explaining something unknown, and the term lacks overall depth & clarity.

he did say truth is stranger than any god we can conceive to be.

1. Obscure Divine profile image61

I guess that is suppose to be a nice way of saying he doesn't know the truth, nor can he conceive it.

that's what I thought. He didn't have a working theory! LOL!

big_smile

2. kephrira profile image61
      kephriraposted 14 years ago

It is a clumsy phrase, but 'non-random natural selection' simply means that there are specific factors which affect natural selection, i.e. how well adapted an organism is to it's ecological niche. Well adapted organisms live and breed, poorly adapted organisms die without breeding, therefore the natural processes which select whether an organism will breed are not random.

>I love eggheads<  mmmwwaahh! big_smile big_smile

1. kephrira profile image61
          kephriraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

I've never been called an egghead before, thanks and mmmmwwaahh right back at ya big_smile

ooo, a sexy martial artist egghead!!!! (I am one myself, and therefore can identitify you instantly!)  Which form of martial arts do you do?

1. kephrira profile image61
              kephriraposted 14 years agoin reply to this

Kung Fu, but I've done Judo, Ninjutsu and a bit of MMA in the past. Which one do you do?

I'm a second-degree in TaeKwonDo and just started Jujitsu last year. smile

2. Obscure Divine profile image61

Breed-breed-breed, ya say...  Hmm, sounds like fun talk, to me.

It's not the breeding that's the fun part OD. wink

I know, it's the actual sensual act & process that mimics the attempts of breeding without actually reproducing, is the best/fun part - that's for sure!  wink  But, sometimes we got to suck it up and procreate, ya know?  big_smile

3. marinealways24 profile image58

Keph, what makes the difference of which organisms adapt better and which ones fail? I think it's because the ones that adapt are more conscious of survival while the ones that fail are less conscious. How do the organisms adapt without being conscious of survival?

3. marinealways24 profile image58
      marinealways24posted 13 years ago

To be fair, I will admit that I started the thread before reading one of Dawkins books, one of  Knowles recommended books, "The Greatest Show on Earth". I would also like to note that Knowles doesn't want to debate anything with me after I read his recommended book. I have to say, it was a great book, very entertaining with a wealth of knowledge. However, I must say, I still think Dawkins is ignorant along with any other evolutionist along with Darwin that fails to admit the intelligence and design of evolution. Dawkins last line from the greatest show on earth:

"We are surrounded by endless forms, most beautiful and most wonderful, and it is no "accident", but the "direct consequence" of evolution by "non-random natural selection" the only game in town, the greatest show on Earth."

What does this mean to you?

"it is no accident" --- indeed, it is no accident. Innate chemicals began to reproduce themselves and thus generated Abiogenesis. The chemicals that continued and most efficiently reproduced themselves eventually became you and me.

"the direct consequence of evolution" -- yes, the name we give to this chain of events (reproduction), indeed is the reason why I'm here. Nothing surprising here.

"non-random natural selection" -- it isn't random, because some organisms do better than others. It isn't designed because... well... because it isn't. It is truly "non-random", or put another way "non-designed", or put another way "non-designed-nor-random", or put another way "Natural Selection".

I know it seems dull and depressing to think of yourself as a rock that started having babies somehow... but... think of it!! You are a rock that somehow started having babies ... that's pretty gnarly if you ask me.

4. marinealways24 profile image58
      marinealways24posted 13 years ago

How much futher would evolution have came along by now and been accepted if it wasn't for ignorant scientists trying to hide the facts that evolution has design, intelligence, and purpose?

... it ... doesn't ... have any of those...

The reason I'm alive is because of the simple statement that I can say with absolute confidence:

"I exist today, because each one of my ancestors survived their environment long enough to meet a mate and produce offspring, and those offspring proceeded to do the same".

That is ALL that evolution is. That sentence summarizes everything there is to know about evolution.

No magic. No Intelligence. No purpose. No design.

Just survival and sex (well, not sex per se. Reproduction. Many organisms don't deal with sex).

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
      Necessary
      HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
      LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
      Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
      AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
      HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
      Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
      CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
      Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
      Features
      Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
      Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
      Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
      PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
      MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
      Marketing
      Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
      Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
      Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
      Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
      Statistics
      Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
      ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
      Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
      ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)