HELP! English Literature!

Jump to Last Post 1-8 of 8 discussions (35 posts)
  1. cupid51 profile image68
    cupid51posted 13 years ago

My daughter is doing her PG in English literature. She needs help on the topic  'imperialism and textuality'. It would be a great help if  anybody could provide me a link to any article on the above topic.  sad

1. alternate poet profile image68
      alternate poetposted 13 years agoin reply to this

another place to look would be the 'other' side of the same coin,  Colonialism and Textuality  smile

2. vox vocis profile image82
      vox vocisposted 13 years agoin reply to this

So, first thing to do: type English literature + textuality into the google search engine box, and then read as many texts as you can (your, daughter, that is) and then English literature + imperialism. Take the most important texts and then write a good piece of work. Academic writing is about research and the ability to concise a ´´sea of information´´ into a narrow topic.
      Some links just by the look at the title:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intertextuality

http://www.cfkeep.org/html/stitch.php?s … 6644319796

http://www.eric.ed.gov/ERICWebPortal/cu … o=EJ359180

http://www.google.de/search?hl=de&r … p;gs_rfai=

3. profile image0
      pburgerposted 13 years agoin reply to this

I suggest you try Google Scholar
      http://scholar.google.com.au/schhp?hl=en&tab=ws

2. profile image0
    poetlorraineposted 13 years ago

call me a dunce but what exactly is that, maybe i will research myself, when i am done hubbing

Imperialism - territorial supremacy with unequal relations for trade, culture etc - the Brits did it and now the Yanks are doing it, next the Chinese will get their turn maybe.

It is about subordination and domination - put that in textuality and you can express a literary view of any text through the lens of sub and dom,  swings both ways of course big_smile

cupid51posted 13 years agoin reply to this

Thanks poetlorraine & alternate poet for the response! But what actually I was searching for, is a ready made paper on the subject! sad

1. Shadesbreath profile image78
          Shadesbreathposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Your first post said "my daughter is doing her PG in English literature" so I think people gave advice based on the "daughter is doing" part, which is why they guided you towards sources to help find information on post-colonialism etc.  What I think you meant to say is your daughter is NOT doing her PG in English lit and needs to buy a paper so she can get credit for having done it anyway, am I getting it right?

Thanks for asking the clarification! My daughter is really doing her PG in English literature. She did not get a  good reference book and the time is nearing for the exam. She asked for my help but I am not an expert in literature! So I thought that I should ask for help from my friends in the forum. I hope I could explained  it  properly.

2. Sab Oh profile image56
        Sab Ohposted 13 years agoin reply to this

"Imperialism - territorial supremacy with unequal relations for trade, culture etc - the Brits did it and now the Yanks are doing it, next the Chinese will get their turn maybe."

NO, we did it over one hundred years ago and China did it long before either the US or the UK.

Thanks Sab Oh for the response!

3. Rod Marsden profile image66
    Rod Marsdenposted 13 years ago

1984, a novel by George Orwell might be a start. Orwell also had a lot to say in his essays concerning British Imperialism and what went wrong in the 19th and 20th Centuries. H.G. Wells didn't just write Science Fiction. He also wrote directly about the times he was living in. For an American source I would recommend Aldous Huxley and his novel Brave New World. I hope that is of some help.

Thanks Rod Marsden for the response, I hope it should be helpful for my daughter!

4. profile image0
    Audreveaposted 13 years ago

Edward Said - Orientalism is one of the texts usually associated with this study area (can't remember them all) but as others said, it's about subjectivity and defining the 'other' (i.e. if I am an imperialist and position myself as the 'norm', everyone else who doesn't conform to that norm (I swear that wasn't supposed to be in rhyme) is 'other'.

The literature shows attitudes and ideologies around both being the invader and the invaded.

It's actually a really big topic. She's got some reading ahead of her.

1. Rod Marsden profile image66
      Rod Marsdenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

The books I have mentioned deal with imperialism, lies told to the military and the civilians to keep a corrupt society functioning plus weird and wonderful belief systems.

In the 19th Century China came under threat of invasion and total take over by the imperial forces of the Western countries plus Japan. You can look into the Boxer rebellion. One thing the Boxers were upset about was the influx of opium into their country by the British. Yes opium did not  originally come from China. Another form of attack was foisting your religion on somebody else though Christians may not agree with this point of view and see missionaries in a more noble light. But this is all history, not literature.

1. Shadesbreath profile image78

Read stuff by Chinua Achebe and Jamaica Kincaid, or even Leslie Marmon Silko and James Joyce... if you want some ideas in literature that represent what is sometimes called The Empire Writes Back.

James Joyce is hard going but good.

James Hoyce is hard for someone actually dong the work,  far too hard for someone who wants a ready made essay sent to her.

I have had to write an essay on Ulysses so I know how hard James Joyce can be.

2. Shadesbreath profile image78

Dubliners is a very approachable book and it gives the sense of "place" very well as seen from a native perspective.  And the writing is sublime.

2. cupid51 profile image68

I like to thanks you all Audrevea, Rod Marsden, Shadesbreath & Alternate Poet for your discussions on the topic. I am forwarding it to my daughter so that she could find  the guidance  from these discussions.

5. habee profile image93
    habeeposted 13 years ago

I'm a retired Brit lit teacher. Read some of Rudyard Kipling. He wrote about the effect of British Imperialism on ancient cultures.

I agree habee Rudyard Kipling's poetry as well as his stories are easy going.

Thanks habee for your help! I think it would definitely help my daughter!

6. premierkj profile image68
    premierkjposted 13 years ago

The commentary of Edward Said is very useful for this subject. However when I was writing an essay in this area I used the example of a Joseph Conrad novel 'Heart of Darkness' combined with analysis of Chinua Achebe and Benita Parry. Conrad is broadly accused of being an imperialist himself so his writing is very controversial. Achebe has a lot to say about Conrad, so it is for the essayist to interpret the debate.

1. Paradise7 profile image70
      Paradise7posted 13 years agoin reply to this

That "Heart of Darkness" was sort of shocking to me, for those very reasons.  Imperialism is against humanity.

Imperialism is humanity sometimes at its worst. The imperialists in "Heart of Darkness" are flawed humans out of their depth.

The Belgium government of the day could have stopped the slaughter and mistreatment of the natives in the Congo if their thought processes were different.

The potato famine caused by the potato blight  might not have been so harsh in the south of Ireland if those in the north had been given permission to send food south. They were not given permission by the English  authorities.

In India in the 19th Century there was famine that might have been relieved if one part of the country could have come to the aid of the devastated part. British imperialism was such that this could not and did not happen.

Sure imperialism can be seen as against humanity sometimes but lest we forget it comes from humanity.

Thanks Premjerkj, Paradise7 & Rod Marsden for sparing your valuable time and throwing some light on the topic.

7. Rod Marsden profile image66
    Rod Marsdenposted 13 years ago

For British/Australian imperialism you might check out The Cake Man by Bob Merritt. Its a play written by an Aboriginal writer and deals with the impact on the Aborigines of white invasion and white settlement. It isn't a very long play and it is easy to read.

Especially relevant to the underlying issues of the Iraq invasion - interesting to see that so little has changed, just the language of it.

Thanks alternate poet for the information.

Thank you again Rod Marsden for the valuable information!

you are welcome cupid51. I hope it does help.

8. torimari profile image68
    torimariposted 13 years ago

Most universities offer an online Library on their website for students. I went to PSU and it was absolutely huge and priceless for my papers, and I didn't have to waste time scouring a normal library.

I didn't know about it till my sophmore year however, so maybe she doesn't know about hers.

Ask if the school has one because they are handy and packed full of all information such as this I'm sure.

Thanks torimari for the information. I would check that option also. smile

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)