jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (6 posts)

Did you collect baseball cards as a kid? What happened to your collection?

1. brianlokker profile image99
    brianlokkerposted 5 years ago

Did you collect baseball cards as a kid? What happened to your collection?

I had a great baseball card collection, including cards from the late 1940s and early 1950s given to me by an older neighbor. Somewhere along the line, the collection disappeared. It's almost a cliche that moms threw out their kids' baseball card collections. If you had a card collection, what happened to it?

2. profile image0
    Gusserposted 5 years ago

I have about 10,000 cards. These are kept to be passed on to the grandkids. They can sell or whatever. Dates of 1940's thru 1987. Several graded Mantles. Graded Ted Williams etc. I have the entire 1961 Yankees card collection. Best team ever.

3. adjkp25 profile image93
    adjkp25posted 5 years ago

I did collect baseball cards when I was a kid and I still have them.  I have over a dozen binders and a little less than a dozen boxes of cards.  The last time I checked I estimated over 100,000 cards in my collection.  I figure that I will sit on them for a while and hopefully they will be worth something by the time I retire.

4. dblyn profile image76
    dblynposted 5 years ago

I collected as a kid but soon became a dealer myself.  I've sold many colelctions over the years, mostly to fund things like my wife's engagement ring and buying a car but my personal collection is all Keith Hernandez who was my favorite player.  That collection I still have and add to all the time.  I have lots of cards and still work as a dealer but if my son ever gets into collecting cards, instead of playing Call of Duty, he can have them...

1. brianlokker profile image99
      brianlokkerposted 5 years agoin reply to this

Keith Hernandez is one of my favorite players (and broadcasters). I did some collecting in the 1980s, mostly Brooklyn Dodgers and the Mets. I still have those cards but they don't compare to my original collection.

5. jaydawg808 profile image89
    jaydawg808posted 5 years ago

I still have my collection, though it's from the 90's.  I kept them mostly in binders, and boxes.  Then, we needed more room, so I stored them in a box outside.  15 years later, they're basically still in great condition.  But, a few have discolored and some critters have left their marking on them.  Most cards were over produced and don't really have a value past $1.  I never collected to make money, as it was what my friends and I just did as a hobby.

working