Hello and Let's Play Trivia!

Jump to Last Post 1-11 of 11 discussions (31 posts)
  1. The Trivia Guy profile image60
    The Trivia Guyposted 13 years ago

Hello out there fellow hubbers!

I just wanted to say hi since I am new to the community.  I am a trivia host who has written different and interesting trivia categories for years.  I have decided to start publishing my trivia quizzes online.  I decided Hubpages was the perfect place to do this due to the high quality of content on the site provided by other hubbers.  This being said, I'd love to get some feedback on categories of trivia you'd be interested in.  Most of my trivia is designed to cater to the bar audience in Portland, Oregon, where I live.  They tend to like a certain type of question.  I want to develop an online presence for trivia, so I need to branch out and find out what the "online" market for trivia is like.

So, any trivia lovers out there with some categories they'd love to see or enjoy playing themselves?  I do all my own research and enjoy the challenge of writing a quiz on a specific topic.  Also, any sage like advice on hubbing in general or generating traffic and clicks on hubs in gaming, entertainment circles? Or, just want to say hi back at me?  I am all ears!

Thanks for your time and best of luck in everything!

The Trivia Guy (Loves Trivia!)

2. Eaglekiwi profile image74
    Eaglekiwiposted 13 years ago

I love Trivia games and have no idea where to play it here since relocating.

I like General Knowledge ,Entertainment,Music and 'Odds n Ends' ( things Im not sure which category they belong in lol

Good Luck smile

P.S Who invented 'chewing gum'?

3. KCC Big Country profile image86
    KCC Big Countryposted 13 years ago

Aztecs from what I recall, but we'll let the Trivia man pursue it.  smile

I too like Entertainment trivia.  There is a game we play called "Time to Remember" (I have a hub about it) and the most popular subject in that game is always Entertainment, followed by Music.

4. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Oh ok cool KCC, didnt know the Aztecs invented gum!

So um where did Mr Trivia disappear too?

The Trivia Guyposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mr. Trivia went to bed early last night cause his throat was scratchy! 

As to who invented "Gum".  I did a little research and found several internet site saying Native Americans and Mayans had chewed chicle-based gum for over a thousand years.  The first gums the American colonists encountered, however, were spruce Gums introduced to the Pilgrims by the Wampanoog Indians in the early seventeenth century. Made from wads of resin the Indians found stuck to the bark of spruce trees, spruce gums were waxy and tough, more cordial to the teeth than to the taste buds.

As for if it was the Aztecs or Mayans or Incans, etc.  I have seen some interesting arguments, but I really can't say, but It is true, as KCC Big Country posted, that gum existed in the Americas before Europeans.

Here's the article I found to be most convincing on this subject, but again, I am no expert on thousand year old Gum, and I'm not claiming to be either!   However, this is why Trivia is fun!

Here's that link:

http://www.bigsiteofamazingfacts.com/wh … hewing-gum

It sounds like entertainment trivia will probably be a great choice! I am working on several new categories as I continue to publish a big series I did on this Day in History (Gonna take a bit to publish all those!). 

Thanks so much for all the feedback.  Here's a trivia question from one of my quizzes already published to figure out:

On January 9th, 2006, what show eclipsed "Cats" as the longest running show on Broadway?

The Trivia Guy
      (It might be much later today before I can come back, but that doesn't mean I don't want to be here talking trivia all day!!!!!)

1. Jim Hunter profile image60
        Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Miss Saigon?

5. Eaglekiwi profile image74

The Wedding Singer?

Oh no wait ,maybe that was later ,no -um yea cant think now of another one so will stay with that answer smile

Im better at General Knowledge.

Thanks for going to the touble with other info too.

The answer is "The Phantom of the Opera". Source: New York Times!

Thanks again for all the feedback and posts, and I hope to see you guys in the quizzes!

I would love, however, to see a Broadway version of The Wedding Singer.  I think it could be quite a hit!

1. Eaglekiwi profile image74
        Eaglekiwiposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Buggar ,that was on the tip of my tongue ..haha thnx smile

I honestly didn't know it until I read it myself.  I still thought Cats was the longest running, but now we know!

6. thirdmillenium profile image61
    thirdmilleniumposted 13 years ago

Welcome to the hubs, a worthy addition I am sure, trivaman!

Who gave the name rockers Hot Chocolate  ( you sexy thing.. etc) their name?

This is just to invigorate you, if case you need it which I doubt you need

Thanks for the welcome thirdmillenium!  I am happy to be a part of the community. 

Your question is great!  I've not encountered it before, so I had to look it up to try to find an answer, but never fear, I hunted and hunted and I have a guess to venture for your question.

Here's my best researched guess:

John Lennon. 

I honestly couldn't find the answer, but I read their first song was a cover of a Lennon song and they contacted him through Apple Records and he liked their version.  There were a couple of different names of people responsible for the name on Wickipedia, but I figure it's better to just guess and see what the answer is!  So hit us with it, please!

The Trivia Guy

1. thirdmillenium profile image61
        thirdmilleniumposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Yeah, Lennon it is. Congratulations.  BTW, John's last interview is out  in Rolling Stone mag

I got confused! I am sorry, I read the wrong response and thought you told me I was wrong!  Sorry to not respond directly to your post. 

The John Lennon question was obviously appropriate given we just had the anniversary of his death. 

I am new to the forums or I would have responded directly earlier.  It's a little confusing, sometimes, but I am on it!

Great question indeed! 

I have some questions about John Lennon in the December 8th This Day in Trivia Quiz on my page, check it out if you're bored and want to play a quick 10 question round of trivia!

Thanks again for your great contribution!

The Trivia Guy

2. Jim Hunter profile image60
      Jim Hunterposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Mickie Most

Great question and answer!  I had seen Mickie's name referenced, but wasn't confident in knowing for sure, so I made a fun guess!

I love it when you get side information (like the John Lennon) thing from a trivia question!

Great One!

7. profile image0
    Toby Hansenposted 13 years ago

I have one:

Who was the first Prime Minister of the UK?

8. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Susan Boyle smile

( see, theres one of me at every trivia table)  lol

It's true.  I've hosted long enough to know this.  It's the enthusiasm of people like you that make the whole experience fun for everyone.  It also helps remind the brainiacs that it's just a game.  Some people are awesome at trivia, they amaze me, but they take it pretty personally when they are wrong.

I've been around long enough to know I'm gonna make a few mistakes.  Online, it seems that I have to look out for typos (something that I'm not as good at as I hoped!) as well. smile  I am working on it and revising as I go.

Today's December 9th, so why not learn about it and play some trivia?  The December 9th quiz is up.  Can I post a link to it from the forums?  I don't know if that's considered "polite"! 

But all the same, I've got some questions, and leave a comment on other interesting questions and information like Toby and Jim have done here! I'd love you for that, obviously! 

@Toby.  I will see what I can rummage up.  I know I've asked that questions before, but if I remembered every question I've ever asked, I'd not have to work.  I'd just be a perpetual Jeopardy Champion.  I will get back to you later (after my day job quits demanding my attention) today!

The Trivia Guy

1. profile image0
        Toby Hansenposted 13 years agoin reply to this

Hi TG! I know the answer, am wondering  who else does. I know a lot of Brits who do not know... and I am an Aussie smile

Well, I've learned a lot more about the history of the Prime Minister of Great Britain since I last posted.  It appears the job wasn't ever "officially" created, but rather, something that evolved.  This has led to dispute. 

But, I will let you clarify and explain, Toby.  Here is my guess:

I think the first Prime Minister was Sir Robert Walpole, who served from 1721 - 1742.  Am I even close to right?

The Trivia Guy!

1. profile image0

Oh, TG!

No, the first Prime Minister of the United Kingdom was Sir Henry Campbell-Bannerman, who served as PM from 1905-1908.

Prior to Sir Henry, the title was First Lord of the Treasury. The term Prime Minister, originally an insult, developed into a nick name for the First Lord of the Treasury, until Sir Henry adopted it as his official title in 1905.

Great Question Toby!  I read some debates on a few sites that I think you should go weigh in on!  You'd be surprised to see how many sites list different people as the first Prime Minister, but I think they are being a little anachronistic to say the least!

I certainly was guessing with my answer!  I took it from Wikipedia, to be exact, trusting that we'd get some good information from you.  I jotted down your question.  Is it okay if I use it some time? 

Also, leave a note on the quizzes to let me know how you did!  I have developed a facebook following of people who have started debating and taking the quizzes to compare scores as well.  I would love it if you left a note with your score (even if you lie and say it's better than it really was) to encourage others to do so!

Any other great questions for me (and the rest of you) for fun here?

1. profile image0

Hi TG. Have just completed the OTD for 13/12. Got 80%. 

I am a great fan of the British show QI, which is where I learned about Bannerman.

Have sent you a friend request on FB, and am working on another question for you big_smile

Toby! I really appreciate you leaving comments on the quiz as you take it!  It seems people are hesitant to start a conversation about the quizzes (though they get plenty of hits).

It really helps to see fun and friendly comments like yours!  I owe ya man!

My mom plays the quizzes everyday, and you beat her.  She got 70% on that one.  smile 

I am working on your new question already.

9. Eaglekiwi profile image74

The Trivia Guy

You are a fun and respectful person! smile Refreshing indeed.

Hey Im sure there are rules ,and a list of what the forums are not ot be used for-ahem self promotion is one of them.

Cant quite remember where those guidelines are now, you should check though.

Another idea though, is I notice you have no hubs -Hubpages is a writing site ,and since this would be a fantastic way to draw people to your link ,why not write one , then launch off from there ,so speak.

Or email the team to clarify 'whats hot and whats not ,lol

I wish you every success. smile

I meant an internal link to my hubs, cause the quizzes are ON hubpages! smile

Thanks again for all your comments!

The Trivia Guy

10. Eaglekiwi profile image74

Returns redfaced ,opologising profusely!!

Sorry you have written several hubs.

My bad.

Eaglekiwi!

No problem!  I've had a busy couple of days so I didn't even get a chance to read these comments until now.  Is it just me or does every time I try write a new quiz, something happens in my real life to take me away from it! 

I've definitely got some quizzes/hubs up already, but many more to go! smile

Sorry to be slow in responding!  I had a great Christmas Party I attended yesterday, though, LOL!

The Trivia Guy

11. profile image0
    Toby Hansenposted 13 years ago

Okay, TG, have a new question.

In which city did the first Australian Federal Parliament sit?

Toby, I have to do an Australian themed Trivia just for you!  You're a great help and seem to know enough about Trivia to make trying to beat you at Australian Trivia something I can pitch at the facebook crowd! smile

I'll look this one up and see what I come up with, I am honest Toby, I know little to nothing about your great country!  I am glad we share a language though, so I can learn more. 

Not only will I answer this question, but I'll put up a 10 questions Australian Quiz.  You want Australian Geography, History, or Current Events?

As for the first Parliament, I am on it!

The Trivia Guy

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)