Day 1 of quitting coffee, I highly recommend buying some advil.

Jump to Last Post 1-7 of 7 discussions (16 posts)
  1. PoeticPhilosophy profile image78
    PoeticPhilosophyposted 10 years ago

I decided to quit coffee  to eliminate the caffine from my system because I looked into all the postive's and negative's it causes and there are only like 8 good benefits and atleast 50 BAD thing's coffee does for you, this inspired me to quit.

Day 1:
    I actually had a interview today (I am so good at getting jobs) and oddly I was instantly hired for a position I've never actually had any training in lol. But during this I had a small migraine which pounded occasionally I don't know if the man who interviewed me noticed my squinched face. Anyway's I made it through the interview and was suppose to  study alot of thing's for the job I start tomorow. I get home I drink some water and all of a sudden I feel my migraine starting to rise and getting worse. It got so bad I was like forget this, and threw my study work on the floor in my room. I go to lay down and  relax and this migraine is just pounding! hours later, by the time I feel as if I can't take the migraine anymore I look for advil in my medicine cabinet: Gabba for stress relief, oxycotton!? Who's is that, prescriptions.., vitamine D drops, Birth Control!? Ok I'm done.

Massive headache throughout the whole day and I'm still kicken it, I'm glad I had the courage to get through this and write this! For a heads up for anyone who wants to quit coffee, GET ADVIL. Terrible first day for me.

I would like to hear anyone else who is motivated and wants to get healthy to quit coffee and share your experience of your first day quitting.

Cheers,
    Talk to you all later! smile

2. Shadow Jackson profile image66
    Shadow Jacksonposted 10 years ago

I just started drinking coffee... other than staining your teeth, what's the harm?

PoeticPhilosophyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Ooo... Very very bad, it's not so much the coffee  that's bad it's the caffine. If your only having 1 cup a day your fine. But in the long-run it causes alot of problems like anxiety, nervousness, tremor's if you drink too much of it. I could list like 50 symptoms lol. This is the site I read that had all the symptoms.
      http://www.cheeseslave.com/30-reasons-to-quit-coffee/

1. Marisa Wright profile image87
        Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So why not cut down to 1 or 2 cups a day, so you still get the benefits without the negative effects?

As WriteAngled says, there are now plenty of rigorous scientific studies showing the benefits of coffee in moderation.   Caffeine in high doses isn't a good idea, but then it's never a good idea to have excess of anything.

1. livewithrichard profile image72
          livewithrichardposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Well, I can think of at least one thing smile

2. ThompsonPen profile image65
      ThompsonPenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Its also quite acidic and can be difficult for the stomach. It's also an diuretic, and can be a bit hard on your liver and will carry out water with it, thus can dehydrate a person. It's a bit like alcohol - for every 1 cup of coffee you drink you should have two glasses of water.
      A good coffee replacement, which also strengthens the liver and acts as a good blood cleanser, is roasted ground dandelion root. If you are to harvest it yourself, it should be harvested away from roads or farmlands, and have grown without contact of chemicals. It also wants to be at least 2 years old, which means the root will be about the width of a pinky finger.

3. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 10 years ago

I prefer to get my information from properly controlled scientific studies rather than from blog writers.

To give just a few examples:

"This systematic review supports the hypothesis that habitual coffee consumption is associated with a substantially lower risk of type 2 diabetes. "
    van Dam RM, Hu FB.
    Department of Nutrition and Health, Faculty of Earth and Life Sciences, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, the Netherlands.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15998896

"In conclusion, our findings suggest that increased coffee intake is associated with a reduced risk of endometrial cancer, consistently observed for cohort and case-control studies."
    Je Y, Giovannucci E.
    Department of Nutrition, Harvard School of Public Health,
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22190017

"In this large, prospective U.S. cohort study, we observed a dose-dependent inverse association between coffee drinking and total mortality, after adjusting for potential confounders (smoking status in particular). As compared with men who did not drink coffee, men who drank 6 or more cups of coffee per day had a 10% lower risk of death, whereas women in this category of consumption had a 15% lower risk. .....   In summary, this large prospective cohort study showed significant inverse associations of coffee consumption with deaths from all causes and specifically with deaths due to heart disease, respiratory disease, stroke, injuries and accidents, diabetes, and infections. Our results provide reassurance with respect to the concern that coffee drinking might adversely affect health."
    Freedman ND, Park Y, Abnet CC, Hollenbeck AR, Sinha R.
    Division of Cancer Epidemiology and Genetics, National Cancer Institute, National Institutes of Health,
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3439152/

4. WriteAngled profile image73
    WriteAngledposted 10 years ago

The dehydration theory so beloved of alternative health practitioners is also not true

"The most ecologically valid of the published studies offers no support for the suggestion that consumption of caffeine-containing beverages as part of a normal lifestyle leads to fluid loss in excess of the volume ingested or is associated with poor hydration status. Therefore, there would appear to be no clear basis for refraining from caffeine containing drinks in situations where fluid balance might be compromised."
    Maughan RJ, Griffin J.
    School of Sport and Exercise Sciences, Loughborough University, Leicestershire, UK.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19774754

5. sparkleyfinger profile image84
    sparkleyfingerposted 10 years ago

If you are starting a new job, I wouldn't be quitting cold turkey- the migraines get worse and you have blurred vision etc- it could look like bad performance on your first day/ week of work!  Try reducing your cups per day, then stop once you are down to one cup a day comfortably.

6. PoeticPhilosophy profile image78

Wow, thanks for all the takes and info guy's! I just want to quit it to get as healthy as I can and seeing that coffee is considered a drug, I want to be drug free XD lol. But day 2 was excellent no migraine so I think I'm fine and clear for the rest of the day's hopefully I don't crack. All of you that love coffee though keep drinking! I just personally wanted to quit, thanks smile -PoeticPhilosophy

1. wilderness profile image96
      wildernessposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I once drank large quantities of iced tea and decided to quit.  Very similar results; the first 2 or 3 days were not good, with bad headaches, but after that all that was left was a mental addiction to iced tea.  Not caffeine; just the tea, and that was gone in a week or two.

PoeticPhilosophyposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Nice  nice, I'll keep that in mind. Survive the craves for 1-2 weeks and I'll be A-ok wink Thanks wildy

2. Marisa Wright profile image87
      Marisa Wrightposted 10 years agoin reply to this

So who considers it a drug?

1. ThompsonPen profile image65
        ThompsonPenposted 10 years agoin reply to this

I do, but I consider anything a drug that alters the perception of the mind. I personally find a change within myself when I have it. I'm in a better mood, energetic, and all over stimulated (funny, that!)

7. PoeticPhilosophy profile image78

Day 3, I cracked! I had a decaff. I felt terrible, the craving was too much for me to handle.
    Oh well I'll try my best to not drink to fight that urge and if I have one here and there until I quit for good that's fine.  And Marisa Wright! Alot of people lol =P.

1. Shadow Jackson profile image66
      Shadow Jacksonposted 10 years agoin reply to this

Don't feel bad. Just get back on the wagon. At least you were strong enough to do decaf instead of completely screwing up and drinking the other stuff! Good luck continuing on your journey!

working

This website uses cookies

As a user in the EEA, your approval is needed on a few things. To provide a better website experience, hubpages.com uses cookies (and other similar technologies) and may collect, process, and share personal data. Please choose which areas of our service you consent to our doing so.

For more information on managing or withdrawing consents and how we handle data, visit our Privacy Policy at: https://corp.maven.io/privacy-policy

Show Details
Necessary
HubPages Device IDThis is used to identify particular browsers or devices when the access the service, and is used for security reasons.
LoginThis is necessary to sign in to the HubPages Service.
Google RecaptchaThis is used to prevent bots and spam. (Privacy Policy)
AkismetThis is used to detect comment spam. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide data on traffic to our website, all personally identifyable data is anonymized. (Privacy Policy)
HubPages Traffic PixelThis is used to collect data on traffic to articles and other pages on our site. Unless you are signed in to a HubPages account, all personally identifiable information is anonymized.
Amazon Web ServicesThis is a cloud services platform that we used to host our service. (Privacy Policy)
CloudflareThis is a cloud CDN service that we use to efficiently deliver files required for our service to operate such as javascript, cascading style sheets, images, and videos. (Privacy Policy)
Google Hosted LibrariesJavascript software libraries such as jQuery are loaded at endpoints on the googleapis.com or gstatic.com domains, for performance and efficiency reasons. (Privacy Policy)
Features
Google Custom SearchThis is feature allows you to search the site. (Privacy Policy)
Google MapsSome articles have Google Maps embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
Google ChartsThis is used to display charts and graphs on articles and the author center. (Privacy Policy)
Google AdSense Host APIThis service allows you to sign up for or associate a Google AdSense account with HubPages, so that you can earn money from ads on your articles. No data is shared unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Google YouTubeSome articles have YouTube videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
VimeoSome articles have Vimeo videos embedded in them. (Privacy Policy)
PaypalThis is used for a registered author who enrolls in the HubPages Earnings program and requests to be paid via PayPal. No data is shared with Paypal unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook LoginYou can use this to streamline signing up for, or signing in to your Hubpages account. No data is shared with Facebook unless you engage with this feature. (Privacy Policy)
MavenThis supports the Maven widget and search functionality. (Privacy Policy)
Marketing
Google AdSenseThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Google DoubleClickGoogle provides ad serving technology and runs an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Index ExchangeThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
SovrnThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Facebook AdsThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Unified Ad MarketplaceThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
AppNexusThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
OpenxThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Rubicon ProjectThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
TripleLiftThis is an ad network. (Privacy Policy)
Say MediaWe partner with Say Media to deliver ad campaigns on our sites. (Privacy Policy)
Remarketing PixelsWe may use remarketing pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to advertise the HubPages Service to people that have visited our sites.
Conversion Tracking PixelsWe may use conversion tracking pixels from advertising networks such as Google AdWords, Bing Ads, and Facebook in order to identify when an advertisement has successfully resulted in the desired action, such as signing up for the HubPages Service or publishing an article on the HubPages Service.
Statistics
Author Google AnalyticsThis is used to provide traffic data and reports to the authors of articles on the HubPages Service. (Privacy Policy)
ComscoreComScore is a media measurement and analytics company providing marketing data and analytics to enterprises, media and advertising agencies, and publishers. Non-consent will result in ComScore only processing obfuscated personal data. (Privacy Policy)
Amazon Tracking PixelSome articles display amazon products as part of the Amazon Affiliate program, this pixel provides traffic statistics for those products (Privacy Policy)
ClickscoThis is a data management platform studying reader behavior (Privacy Policy)