jump to last post 1-3 of 3 discussions (7 posts)

Happiness past the age of 60

1. promisem profile image94
    promisemposted 2 years ago

People who live long enough acquire many experiences both good and bad. I've noticed that older people seem to have more sadness about them. How can someone be happy past the age of 60 if they have had bad experiences in life?

2. psycheskinner profile image80
    psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago

I am happier than ever before in middle age, and my mother seems supremely happy in her 70s.  I am optimistic about only getting happier as I age. Things that used to bother me a lot as a younger woman seem so trivial now.

promisemposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I'm getting calmer as I age, but it means I feel both less joy and less sorrow. It's a mixed blessing.

1. psycheskinner profile image80
        psycheskinnerposted 2 years ago in reply to this

I think that calmness might have the potential to be a backdrop for joy if you find things that resonate with you?  I tend to find this through my work and writing, my friend through her grandchildren, another really got into meditation and spirituality.  I see a lot of people in late and middle age who discover things of great importance to them.

Excellent thought. Along that line, I have become much less materialistic and status conscious as I age and more focused on spiritual matters. In that sense, it's a blessing.

3. Kathryn L Hill profile image89
    Kathryn L Hillposted 2 years ago

Happiness past 60 depends on good health. Pure and simple.
    If one does not-over eat and consumes natural foods, one will be happy no matter what the past experiences have been because the source of happiness within the body is not missing/depleted: Energy.
    Also, if one determines to see the good in life, one will be happy no matter what is happening with one's family, friends or COUNTRY. So, my advice is eat well and take a break from all the aboveā€¦
    which means no news, periodically.

TWISI

That's a great point. I have long believed the good physical health is the foundation for everything else including happiness.

working