jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

had my tat 6 months and all a of a sudden it swelled and its really itchy any i

1. profile image45
    tlclooonaposted 8 years ago

had my tat  6 months and all a of a sudden it swelled and its really itchy any ideas why this is?

2. Lisa HW profile image72
    Lisa HWposted 8 years ago

One possibility could be an allergic reaction to the ink, particularly red ink.  According to MayoClinic (.com) an allergic reaction can occur even years after getting the tattoo.

Medication may be necessary if you have an allergic reaction, so you should see a doctor. 

Besides the possibility of an allergic reaction, there's always the chance something else could be causing it.   Don't fool around with it.  Have it looked at by a doctor.

3. sasanqua profile image80
    sasanquaposted 8 years ago

Please see a doctor. It could be an allergy, as suggested by Lisa. It could also be an infection. Get it checked out to be safe.

4. wendymckee profile image60
    wendymckeeposted 8 years ago

I too would say that it would be an allergy to the ink.  If it is not red and hot, it should not be infection.  If you are allergic to poison ivy, you will often be allergic to inks, especially india ink.  I am not sure what they use now for inks.  Perhaps you should ask the person who did the tatoo.  Take Benadryl for the allergy or use Benadryl creme.