jump to last post 1-8 of 8 discussions (8 posts)

Can walking alot actually be bad for you?

1. profile image43
    manda414posted 8 years ago

Can walking alot actually be bad for you?

Lately I've been walking everywhere and have lost a considerable ammount of weight I just want to be sure it can't be harmful to me.

2. profile image51
    Jay Hunterposted 8 years ago

pinklemonade gave an excellent answer. Depending on your age and general health and weight, you might feel better about getting a physical and asking a doctor.  Walking is usually great for most people, unless they have some health problem. Better safe than sorry.

3. profile image54
    SpaceAgeposted 8 years ago

if u carry 2 much x-tra weight, it CAN hurt the joints. if u feel discomfort, stop & rest as long as needed, even if u must resume the next day or so. listen 2 yer body; as soon as it hurts, STOP! yer body will thank u 4 not pushing it farther than it's able. lugging x-tra lbs is like lugging around another person 24/7. it's tiring. this is y as soon as u feel pain, STOP! the BEST way i know 2 shed the fat is give it a name like UGLY. this is exactly how i shed a LOT of x-tra lbs in my teens (i was 175). when i realized just how tired i was from lugging around UGLY, i went on a very strict diet & i felt gr8

4. C.V.Rajan profile image77
    C.V.Rajanposted 7 years ago

Unlike any other form of exercise like jogging, the damage walking can do to you if done in excess is less. Of course, your age, physical fitness, body structure, climate in which you do walking etc can have their rightful influence in causing negative effects in case of walking a lot.

But in walking,  you have a far better control to monitor yourself and adjust yourself to the level suited to your physical comfort.

Please read this article that can give you more insight:
    http://hubpages.com/hub/Walking-the-sim … o-it-right

5. kennetta profile image56
    kennettaposted 7 years ago

well it depends how big you are thats 1 of them and it depends
    if you in good heath frist but i dont belive walking is to much but if you are over weight and cant jog thats going to be a prb
    thats how i know.

6. cobrien profile image77
    cobrienposted 7 years ago

Not unless you have problems with circulation in your lower extremities.

7. luvingnature profile image41
    luvingnatureposted 7 years ago

Always get cleared with your doctor before you complete any form of activity.  I don't think walking is bad for you if you have good form.  Keep good posture.  I know some people who cover up to ten miles per day.

8. Under cover agent profile image68
    Under cover agentposted 7 years ago

Go for it manda414.
    Your question was 12 months ago, I hope you are still walking.

Walking was happening long before Doctors evolved. Walking was how you got here.

Please never stop, walking is the 2nd best exercise you can have, following #1.....breathing.
    And you know what happens if you stop breathing.

Walking styles can make walking a bit of a problem, but that's easy to fix.
    Fixed, walking is a low impact, incredible exercise.
    Regards
    UCA

working