Do you feel safe bicycle riding where you live?

1. ptosis profile image75
    ptosisposted 7 years ago

Do you feel safe bicycle riding where you live?

Some cities are bike friendly like Boulder, CO - other are NOT like Honolulu, HI. On a scale of 1 -10 How safe do you feel riding on the road next to cars.
    Is feeling unsafe the #1 reason why don't bike ride less that 2 miles a day?

2. EpicNoob profile image49
    EpicNoobposted 7 years ago

Hm, I'd say 7/10. I live in England and, since the country is pretty small, there really isn't the room to squeeze in cycle paths even if the government wanted to (albeit there are the occasional few on newly constructed roads).

Most of the time I feel perfectly safe cycling around, but I still fear an unsuspecting driver might clip me one day - especially on country lanes. Just last week an old Jaguar whipped out in front of me having not seen me on this T-junction and I went right over my handlebars and collapsed onto the ground in my effort to stop. Took the chain clean off my bike too so I couldn't even cycle off. It's quite humiliating really.

I guess the danger will always be there because you're so exposed, but so long as you're visible at night and wearing a helmet at least you can make drivers aware of your presence.

3. profile image0
    Phoebe Pikeposted 7 years ago

Around here it is safe to ride a bike, excluding bears of course. But in town, out of the "woods" it's safe and enjoyable.

Closed to reply