jump to last post 1-4 of 4 discussions (4 posts)

Is it true that you are only as old as you feel?

1. wordsscriber profile image60
    wordsscriberposted 7 years ago

Is it true that you are only as old as you feel?

2. Tusitala Tom profile image65
    Tusitala Tomposted 7 years ago

A person's enthusiasm for life can make quite a difference to how they feel...at that time.   If you're looking forward to something pleasurable you seem to be imbued with more energy, more zest for life.   On the other hand, if you're bored, that certain ennui seems to bring you down and possibly makes you feel older than you really are.   That's part of it.

Another part is that we have daily, (diurnal) and monthly bio-rythms, the latter being experienced particularly by those of the 'fairer' sex.    These bio-rythyms, I'm told fall into three catergories: physical, emotional, and -quite frankly - I forget the last.   When our physical bio rythym is operating at its peak we're able to 'pump iron' at the gym at our maximum capacity, when it's low, we seem to be actually physically weaker.

Are we only as old as we feel?   I guess the answer has to be a sort of qualified, "yes."   And this seems to stand no matter what our age.   I'm seventy-four and was at the gym only yesterday. But then again, I've been training on and off since I was twenty.

My suggestion: get enthused with a project bigger than yourself.  That'll keep you young.

3. SteveoMc profile image74
    SteveoMcposted 7 years ago

I think that this is regarding emotionally.    I think it is very true, too.  Just look at Tusitala Tom, he obviously had a young outlook on life and therefore feels younger than his contemporaries.   

I feel most comfortable with my young friends and young acting contemoraries, none of us wants to live with just old people.   I think we are a great group of people for seeing life in a younger way and when our young friends are involved, it makes us happy and young too.   

Keep laughing.  That is an important thing to do.

4. dabeaner profile image56
    dabeanerposted 7 years ago

No.  You are as old as you are.  Doesn't matter how you feel.  While I am in good shape -- for my age, I can no longer pole vault.

Closed to reply

working