jump to last post 1-6 of 6 discussions (6 posts)

From a masculine's mind, what's the best way to hint to a family member that he'

1. charlesdinfo profile image57
    charlesdinfoposted 7 years ago

From a masculine's mind, what's the best way to hint to a family member that he's drinking too much?

2. jdomingo profile image61
    jdomingoposted 7 years ago

The best way to this is to be upfront and let them know that you are concerned of their health, but if you're trying for subtlety  you may want to stop talking hanging out with them when they get too drunk, or suggest to stop because you can't drink as much as he can and then start drinking water yourself.  Better yet get other family members to drink a beer and then a water.  But the best way...be upfront about it they may not know it if no one tells them.

3. slave222 profile image62
    slave222posted 7 years ago

I wouldn't go for the all approach. If drunk they will get all aggressive so try to tell someone else who is close by the person. They will hopefully over hear and listen!!?

4. Lisa HW profile image72
    Lisa HWposted 7 years ago

I'm not a man, so maybe you don't want my input here; but I've often found that the way I think seems to be the way men tend to think.  So, for what it's worth:  My thinking is that a person usually has a pretty good idea that he's drinking more than he should, and doesn't want anyone else pointing out to him what he already knows (but can't/won't do anything about).

Saying something like, "I'm kind of concerned at much more you've been drinking lately," may not be particularly offensive to the person; but if he's an alcoholic he's most likely going to say, "It's fine.  You don't have to worry about it," or else, "I know.  I'm planning to cut down after.....".

If s/he is drinking so much it's affecting your day-to-day life, I think you ought to present that angle to the person.  I think that angle is the one he'll most see as "your business" and something you have a "right" to be concerned about.

Other than that, maybe just ask, "Do you think maybe you're drinking is starting to become a problem?"  He may say, "Yes, I think it may be, and....." or he may say, "No."  Either way, you take some risk of making the person irritated/angry at you, but approaching him to his face (rather than talking behind his back) is, I think, always better.

5. charlesdinfo profile image57
    charlesdinfoposted 7 years ago

Yes, he does... He gets very belligerent, so your advice to convince him will take some timing because I'm the closest male family member to him. He obviously doesn't want to hear concerns from the girl cousins.
    I appreciate the feedback friend.

Good Stuff.

6. wilbury4 profile image71
    wilbury4posted 7 years ago

How would he react to a straight to the point, out loud approach?... "You are drinking too much and it is causing problems throughout the family, it needs to be sorted and we (the family) are here to help"...