jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

I am pretty sure my roommate beats her 15 month old daughter. I am not sure what

  1. KewlWriter profile image73
    KewlWriterposted 7 years ago

    I am pretty sure my roommate beats her 15 month old daughter. I am not sure what to do.

    Any suggestions?

  2. goldenpath profile image71
    goldenpathposted 7 years ago

    If you have any suspicion of such abuse you are obligated by law in most states to report it.  Aside from the law it is your duty and responsibility as a fellow human being to protect and care for the young even if they are not yours.

    Consider this.  If you do not report it and abuse is going on you are also a contributer to the abuse of that child.

    It kind of puts things in a different perspective.

  3. profile image0
    klarawieckposted 7 years ago

    Ask the fifteen year old to tell you the truth and try to help her. I mean, one thing is to get a slap across the face from mom from time to time for talking back and being a smart as$ (trust me, I know and it was well deserved!) and another thing is to beat your child.

  4. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image97
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

    You don't f hesitate any more-you call child protective services, and the  police.

  5. poetvix profile image68
    poetvixposted 7 years ago

    You have to get help for this child.  As mentioned, you are most likely legally bound to contact the authorities.  I would not only file a report w/ Children's Protective Services, which can be done on line, but further, call the police as they will most likely respond sooner. 
    It does not matter why the parent is abusive.  It does not matter that it does not happen all the time.  A child is in danger.  This child may have already suffered damange that can never be repaired physically.  Do you really think there is any way this child has not suffered mental damage already? 
    This baby, and yes, 15 months is a baby, can not seek help.  He or she can't even speak up for themselves.  This breaks my heart.  Please, please, please save this kid. 
    A parent who is abusive usually gets worse over time.  Next time the baby might not make it.  Even if he/she does do you realize each instance increases the chances that they themselves will become an abuser some day.  Please put an end to this!

  6. Jillian Barclay profile image79
    Jillian Barclayposted 7 years ago

    When you call CPS  to report abuse, you do not have to give your name if that is what is bothering you or causing  you to hesitate! Please, if you have suspicions, you have reasons for those suspicions. Don't doubt your gut feelings! Better to make a mistake than to stand by and let a child suffer or even die.

  7. Glenn Raymond profile image57
    Glenn Raymondposted 7 years ago

    Be very certain about this.  If it is true, your duty is to the child.  Turn your roommate in.  This is wrong, that child needs to feel safe, be safe and feel secure.  You can always find a better roommate.  This child, every child needs love, not beatings.

  8. point2make profile image81
    point2makeposted 7 years ago

    Would it make it any easier for you if the  15 month old was your child and your friend was beating her when you were not around? I suspect you would not hesitate to protect "your" child. Why would you hesitate in protecting any child that needed your help?
    Save the child first. Worry about your friend second. A mother who abuses her 15 month old child  because the child interrupted a video game session has a very serious problem and is in need of help herself but your first obligation is to the child. Do it Now!

  9. profile image0
    Listerinoposted 7 years ago

    If there is enough proof for you to be suspicious then report it anonymously and if you feel you need to try and catch her in the act with perhaps a hidden camera or something similar so you have some evidence. It's better to report it than not report it and have something happen to the child.

  10. wildorangeflower profile image67
    wildorangeflowerposted 7 years ago

    Hi, I advice you to talk to the mother first. If she doesn't listen, then you can turn her in.

  11. profile image50
    T. Josephposted 7 years ago

    You are only 'required' by law to report it if you are a 'mandatory reporter' (Doctor, teacher, police, social worker, etc) However, having been around the same situation you MUST report it immediately. You do not have to give your name to CPS - do it over the phone...if you know the doctor she see's or where she goes to school, tell them and have them report it. But by all means do not just stand by.