jump to last post 1-11 of 11 discussions (11 posts)

Someone dear to me is going through Chemotherapy. What can I do to help?

1. Earl S. Wynn profile image84
    Earl S. Wynnposted 7 years ago

Someone dear to me is going through Chemotherapy. What can I do to help?

2. profile image0
    reeltaulkposted 7 years ago

Be there......especially if they are reaching out to you, that means that they need you as well as whatever strength you have to offer.  If they are not reaching out and maybe a bit distant, still be there.  That may be that they are trying to cope ( nothing you need take personal) being unconditionally ready and available won't hurt you if you truly love them!

3. Loveslove profile image58
    Lovesloveposted 7 years ago

Be at their side when they need you..listen when they want to talk...Cuddle  them when they need a cuddle..but most of all offer love and support in any way you can..be there when needed !!! X

4. dragonlady1967 profile image85
    dragonlady1967posted 7 years ago

Someone dear to me just finished Chemo.  You need to be there for them.  Chemo makes you very sick.  Help them with whatever you can even if it is just holding their hand, or washing the dishes.  Each person is different, but my friend still remembers all the hugs.

5. A la carte profile image58
    A la carteposted 7 years ago

Just be there when they want you and be supportive.

6. Jon Rubin profile image58
    Jon Rubinposted 7 years ago

Call them, visit them, and help them with chores or other odds and ends things, like running errands. Try not to treat them any differently than you normally would, while not ignoring the situation or pretending nothing is happening.

7. dabeaner profile image55
    dabeanerposted 7 years ago

Help them get some marijuana to counter nausea so they can keep food down.  Counter petit-fascist busybodies seeking to keep weed illegal.

8. lex123 profile image66
    lex123posted 7 years ago

Make him feel that you are with him, and he is not alone in going through this hard time.  Give him all types of support and be patient with him, and keep reminding him that God is always with him.

9. SteveoMc profile image74
    SteveoMcposted 7 years ago

Tell him that you are there for him.   You want to help.  Ask him what he wants, jokes, laughter, quiet time, reading, what?     Listen carefully, and then provide what he wants to the best of your ability.   The love is the most important thing, but sometimes he might want a diversion.     He might want to play cards, or get the hell out of the house.    Take him out and go for a walk, or sit in a park.

10. ron0540 profile image60
    ron0540posted 7 years ago

I lost a very dear and close friend 6 months ago to brain cancer.  Her most difficult time was at night when everyone and everything is quiet.  She could not stop her mind from thinking of all the sad, bad, and emotional things associated with having terminal cancer.
    So, I started reading to her at night.  If I was not with her, I would read to her over the phone.  If we were together, then I would read to her in bed until she would fall asleep.  This became the one thing she absolutely loved, and it really made me feel like I was doing something for her that helped her.  It does not matter what you read, that can be discussed between the two of you.  It really helped her to be able to drift off to sleep with out going crazy with all the thoughts that would go through her mind at night.
    Hope this gives you some ideas.

11. Wesman Todd Shaw profile image98
    Wesman Todd Shawposted 7 years ago

Get them some marijuana to smoke.  Marijuana will increase their appetite, reduce nausea, and help them maintain some sense of self esteem - because they won't be so unnaturally skinny.

working