jump to last post 1-5 of 5 discussions (5 posts)

Can kidney stones be easily misdiagnosed for gallstones if you haven't had an xr

1. keepitnatural profile image71
    keepitnaturalposted 7 years ago

Can kidney stones be easily misdiagnosed for gallstones if you haven't had an xray? Are the symptoms

fairly similar? (aching all over etc.)

2. cookibuq profile image59
    cookibuqposted 7 years ago

Having kidney stones can range in having a dull pain in your lower back for a few days to sudden crippling sharp pains. There could also be blood in the urine...Having gallstones may give you jaundice (yellow skin), abdominal pain, nausea, vomiting, and a bloated feeling in the stomach and chest as well as severe stomach pain.

Both of these conditions must be diagnosed with an x-ray.

3. Manutdmumto4 profile image61
    Manutdmumto4posted 7 years ago

I have had gall-stones and the pain was in between my shoulder blades. I did get Jaundice as well but this is not always the case with gall stones - I didn't get any stomach pain or swelling. Gall stone pain is sharp and takes your breath, and is more likely to happen after eating fatty or rich food.

4. etna5678 profile image80
    etna5678posted 7 years ago

Well, it isn't impossible to mix up the diagnosis based on the location of pain. But since the character of pain is different and associated symptoms are also quite easily distinguished, it shouldn't usually get mixed up. The location of pain in kidney stones is where the backbone meets the lowest rib on your back. Its dull and aching. Gallstones cause meal-associated pain under the ribs on the right upper abdomen...

The diagnosis is on ultrasonography as most gallstones aren't visible on x-rays.

5. artist101 profile image69
    artist101posted 5 years ago

Kidney stones usually are felt in the lower back, and gallstones can feel like a heart attack, pain in the upper right abdomen, and across the chest.. Can be accompanied by vomiting, nausea and fever. Other symptoms of gallbladder disease include constant pain, that shoots into shoulder, or radiates to the back. Can be confirmed with ultra sound.
    Kidney stones in the back, radiating to the lower abdomen, and groin. Usually due to high calcium levels in the blood. Usually atributed to a deficeincy in magnesium.
    http://artist101.hubpages.com/hub/Natur … ney-Stones